Best song contest-Round 1, Part 5

Choose the best song in "Powerslave"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eli

Educated Fool
Revelations was the winner in round 4; The Trooper, To Tame A Land and Where Eagles Dare were among the favourites. No surprises so far...

Today it's Powerslave...considered by too many as the best album of the band. Now let's see which song(s) is/are mainly responsible for this fame. I guess some of you will be torn between ROAM and the title track (at least I will)...

...and just for fun: what would your second choice be if you had 2 votes for this album?

Already in round 2: Phantom of the Opera, Killers, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Revelations

Rime or Powerslave... It would be much easier if Dave didn't have those solos in Powerslave...I don't know which one I would choose tomorrow but today my vote goes to Powerslave. Second vote would be Rime of course.

Powerslave or Rime... It's not fair, both songs should go to the next round. Both songs are better than Phantom of the Opera and Killers. I will vote for ROTAM but Powerslave for me is equally good.

Last edited:
For me this comes down to “2 Minutes To Midnight” vs. “Rime Of The Ancient Mariner”, both 10/10 songs in my book. The obvious choice might be “Rime”, but it’s a bit more repetitive, and “2 Minutes” is arguably the band’s best short rocker and has an absolutely killer interlude (though “Rime” also has a killer interlude). “2 Minutes” is also the song that really got me into Maiden in the first place, and made me fall in love with Adrian’s guitar work.

Today I’m feeling “2 Minutes To Midnight” a little more, so it gets my vote.

Hell, I'm stunned. 2am, Powerslave ? This is turning into a new "blasphemy" thread. And Revelations won the preceeding round

Last edited:
Hell, I'm stunned. 2am, Powerslave ? This is turning into a new "blasphemy" thread. And Revelations won the preceeding round
I know, it’s almost like some people think Dickinson and Smith were also critical contributors to the band’s success, rather than just being slavish Harris devotees. What fools!

This is an album with almost all very good to great songs but unlike other IM albums I don't have any one song that stands head and shoulders above all the others.

Despite preferring proggy epics in general my blasphemy is that while I think certain parts of Rime are brilliant I find myself impatiently waiting through the other parts to get there. And this is coming from someone whose lifelong favorite bands are Rush and Yes so I'm a big fan of extended epics.

For me this one's a tossup between Aces High and Powerslave.

I know, it’s almost like some people think Dickinson and Smith were also critical contributors to the band’s success, rather than just being slavish Harris devotees. What fools!
Well, putting 2AM and Powerslave on the same level as Rime is just beyong my understanding.

Powerslave or Rime... It's not fair, both songs should go to the next round. Both songs are better than Phantom of the Opera and Killers. I will vote for ROTAM but Powerslave for me is equally good.
Sorry, rules are rules; and there is no exception unless they both get the most and same amount of votes. Killers is nowhere around the greatness of Children of the Damned for me, but you know the results...

The title track and Rime are very comfortably in my top ten, but I've always rated the former slightly higher. The middle section alone is peak Maiden, featuring one of Dave's very best solos.

Back