Best Power Metal band?

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Dec 30 2005, 07:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Dec 30 2005, 07:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]That's what I think will be the downfall of power metal. Bands go around saying 'hey, look at us, we can be even more cheesier and cliched than that other generic power metal band around the corner! Plus our swords are longer!'. It seems like a fifteen minutes of fame (okay, more like seconds) not worth having. Same bloody thing happenes to death and black metal.
[snapback]126067[/snapback]​
[/quote]
It happens with every genre and a lot of bands do get their 15 seconds of fame but the good thing is that the true greats always last long. Look at Mayhem, Canibal Corpse, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Helloween etc. Many bands have tried to imitate them but the legends are still going strong(er than ever).

Yeah Conor, you're right. Take black metal for example. There's a million and one Dartkhrone rip-offs, but they will all be forgotten in time because they lack the power to be remembered, while the pioneers, the innovators and the forward thinkers will live on. Take a look at [a href=\'http://www.metal-archives.com\' target=\'_blank\']The Metal Archives[/a] and do a search for the black metal genre. How many of them do you think will matter? Not many I bet.

Okay, back to power metal. Well, I haven't listened to it for a bit, with the exception of Dragonforce (Sonic Firestorm is like bloody crack these days [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ). I wanted to get Blind Guardian's Somewhere Far Beyond, but the fecking CD was 30.99>_<. I got Cryptopsy's None So Vile instead. (But still, that was expensive, 27.49. Damn you HMV! [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

[!--QuoteBegin-macunaima+Dec 30 2005, 08:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Dec 30 2005, 08:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Tribuzy is a pretty good new power metal band.  Their debut album came out earlier this year and it featured a number of guest appearances including some guy called Bruce Dickinson.
[snapback]126071[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Tribuzy is the solo project of Renato Tribuzy form forgettable, although mention-worthy, Brazilian metal band Thoten. "Execution" is an amazing album, and not just because of the heaps of metal legends on there. I wouldn't describe it as Power though, more like "True metal" a'la Halford/Bruce's solo work and the likes.

Was there a DragonForce thread here once? Since I can't find it I will just post about them here.

I recently got their new akbum "Inhuman Rampage" and can't stop listening to it. It is a truly great power metal album, the best I have personally.
My favourite tracks are TtFatF, BB and RD. They are coming to Belfast soon but I can't make it [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

the one bad thing I will say about DF is that every instrumental section sounds the same. They are really good instrumental sections, they just get a bit repetitive after a while.

Well yeah, Dragonforce have been critisised for using a predictable formula but Sam Totman backs his argument with "if it's a good song, that's what matters right?" Besides, sometimes you just want a full in your face power metal song right? (However, if you're looking for something weird and crazy, [a href=\'http://www.mtvhell.com/articles/theweird/\' target=\'_blank\']check this link out[/a] [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

If you want to see the new dragonforce video.... [a href=\'http://www.youtube.com/w/Dragonforce-Through-the-Wire?v=KcU5FH83Zcw&search=dragonforce\' target=\'_blank\']click here[/a]

[!--QuoteBegin-The_7th_Son+Jan 23 2006, 04:26 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ Jan 23 2006, 04:26 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]If you want to see the new dragonforce video.... [a href=\'http://www.youtube.com/w/Dragonforce-Through-the-Wire?v=KcU5FH83Zcw&search=dragonforce\' target=\'_blank\']click here[/a]
[snapback]127527[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Through the wire??? You have got to laugh at those mis-labellers. MTV called it that didn't they? [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]
EDIT: [a href=\'http://www.youtube.com/w/Dragonforce?v=QI4WmEDuvBc&search=dragonforce\' target=\'_blank\']WTF?[/a]

now THAT is a Power Metal Video!!!!! that was awesome! my favortite part is the solo with the guy drinking the soda while he waits for his turn to rip it!

Oh yes! That was one awesome video! If you have yet to see DF live, you should know that they are just as energetic on stage as in this vid:)

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jan 23 2006, 09:29 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jan 23 2006, 09:29 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]my favortite part is the solo with the guy drinking the soda while he waits for his turn to rip it!
[snapback]127565[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I thought that part was a bit too self indulgent really. ButI have to admit it was bloody hilarious! Almost like those Necrophagist guitar duels between Muhammed Sucimez and Christian Muenzer. "I am wankier than thou! Fear my souless fretboard masturbation!" It's no wonder MTV got those names wrong. Kerrang labelled Meshuggah and Iced Earth as black metal. Normally I let a gripe like that go but that was flat out stupidity. Ah well, Kerrang is a waste paper anyway. [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Its not soda mate, its a beer. If you know Sam, you'll know he is never sober. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I love the way he puts his beer down and rips into the solo [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I figured it might be, but erred in the side of caution. I used to find that sort of behavior cool, but know it is simply stupid to do that to yourself... shame, hope he does sober up soon.

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Dec 11 2005, 07:45 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Dec 11 2005, 07:45 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Hey, Crystal Empire have a link to your band on their site!  You shamless self promoter [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]124885[/snapback]​
[/quote]
[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] right under Iron Maidens site

Back