Best Power Metal band?

A

Anonymous

I'd go for Blind Guadian.

Unique varied vocals, excellent guitar with a rarely beautiful sound, great lyris [especialy Nightfall in Middle Earth album], great drumming, not jsut the constant double bass of alot of power. All great.

well, i like lots of power metal, but my 2 very favorites are dragonforce and sonata arctica.

although dragonforce isnt the most varied or original lyrically, each and every one of them are extremely talented, and i love all the guitar melodies/solos they come up with. HERMAN LI RULES!! and above all they are very fast

sonata arctica is also a superb power metal band...i just love their songs; they are so varied. they have a lot of classical influence too. i also like their guitar riffs/solos...jani L is a virtuoso... and keyboard melodies.

i do listen to others...i just started getting into sinergy and i really like them too, especially because my 2 fav guitarists, alexi and roope, are in it. i also listen to helloween, rhapsody, stratovarius, and others.

Power Metal eh? My favs would probably be Iced Earth, Blind Guardian and Demons n' Wizards.

Its a tough one between Rhapsody and Dragonforce.

Rhapsody, the daddies of power metal. Amazing compositions, talented musicians in all aspects. Fabio Lione has an amazing vocal range. Luca Turilli plays his guitar with such ease. Memorable, well composed songs.

Dragonforce, as someone said previously. Each member is extremely talented. Herman Li and Sam Totman can play guitar with amazing speed and accuracy, while ZP has a great vocal range. Dave Mackintosh is an awesome drummer and a good friend. Vladim is an amazing keyboard player. His solos are great, especially his live 'kick arse' solo.

Yeah, I like all the bands everyone has mentioned.... or maybe I like Angra more than those.... ooh its tough [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SoulEater+Aug 10 2005, 05:47 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SoulEater @ Aug 10 2005, 05:47 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Power Metal eh? My favs would probably be Iced Earth, Blind Guardian and Demons n' Wizards.
[snapback]114732[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Iced Earth is Thrash... And Blind Guardian is really more Speed, but I won't be picky with them as they are Power enough.

I'd have to say Helloween for the sole reason that there are more Helloween clones out there than any other metal band. (Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica, Edguy to name a few).

Running Wild And RAGE - power metal to the power infinity......... [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Eddie's Lil Helper+Aug 10 2005, 07:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Eddie's Lil Helper @ Aug 10 2005, 07:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Running Wild And RAGE - power metal to the power infinity......... [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]  [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]114908[/snapback]​
[/quote]

RAGE are good but I've only got The Missing Link. What other RAGE albums could you give a reccomendation of? Oh, and for best power metal band of all? Well right now I'd say Blind Guardian because I really like Imaginations From The Other Side.

Gamma Ray is the best, Kai Hansen's voice is one of the best i've heard and the guitars are amazing!

Running wild and early Helloween is also great!

Lost Horizon. Their style does lean towards true rather than power, but they have(had?) some very talented musicians, amazing songwriting (check Highlander for one of the best power epics ever!), plus Daniel Heiman, one of the finest and most promising metal vocalists around!

Oh, and they dress up and paint themselves. Silly and very typical power metal.

I checked out Lost Horizon because you always say how good they are $yk0_H and I really really enjoyed the song I.... downloaded... legally... [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Yeah, really great. If I could get hold of one of their cds in a shop around here i'd snatch it up. Not likely unfortunately.

I'd say Sonic Firestorm, I find that was the easiest to "get into".

I still haven't decided which I like best, but go with Sonic Firestorm. Enjoy [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Musically, it's gotta be Virgin Steele. Their last five albums are by a long shot the greatest Epic Power Metal ever made - extremely diverse, deep and complex music, lots of well-used and sincere influences from classical music, some of the (if not THE) best vocals around, genius guitarworks, simply impeccable songwriting and excellent lyrics too. I can think of only ONE album that's on a par with The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part One or House of Atreus Act II.

I guess the next best thing would be Rage, as they've consistently supplied raw, heavy Power Metal ranging from good to outstanding in quality over the last twenty-one years with no less than 17(!!!) full-length albums, and not a single loser among them. Can't reach the highs of VS though, imo. Still, Black in Mind, Ghosts, Reflections of a Shadow, End of All Days, The Missing Link and many others are all ace albums.

Oh yeah, a must-mention are also Jag Panzer. Ample Destruction is definitely the best 80s Power album, and one of the few abums that at least come close to Virgin Steele's best. A good bit of their later works are winners too, though I've only heard about half of those so far. And they have one of the most impressive vocalists around.

Other notables but not the best imo(at least musically) are Metal Church (their later albums are absolutely awesome Atmospheric PM with some thrash in between, and Hanging in the Balance is the only thing on a par with Virgin Steele), Gamma Ray ( one great album after another ever since Land of the Free came out, and Power Plant just plain rocks - plus Hansen is an amazing vocalist), Blind Guardian (very consistent, quite raw and heavy apart from the last album, unique vocals and very varied in style), Grave Digger (another very consistent and quite heavy band looking back at over twenty years of ownage), Running Wild (ace speed/power with kick-ass powerful vocals) and HammerFall (quite straightforward, but excellent riffing in a very 80s PM vein, cool songwriting and awesome live shows)

[!--QuoteBegin-$yk0_H+Aug 11 2005, 11:58 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE($yk0_H @ Aug 11 2005, 11:58 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Lost Horizon.
[snapback]114985[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Bought one of their albums yesterday and I must say I enjoyed it! Cant remember what it was called... purple cover... it had a weird name and has highlander on it. Found it in a HMV in a different city and thought it was worth a buy.

Back