Best of Bruce

A

Anonymous

I've been thinkin of gettin this but i'm not to sure. Bein a big maiden fan it's only natural that I like bruces vocal style but does his solo stuff compare to maiden?

Well, the vocals are similar...[!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I definitely think that Bruce's solo work is amazing. The Best Of may not be the best place to start, though - try Scream For Me Brazil or The Chemical Wedding first.

I kinda like some of Skunkworks... But mostly Chemical Wedding. It's excellent [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I guess Im the lone crusader for Accident of Birth. I think you should get that one. Its the best one. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Start with Chemical Wedding [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Scream For Me Brazil is as good as any best-of (with the benefit that it is live), and it was what got me into Bruce's solo stuff. Alternately, you can start with The Chemical Wedding or Accident of Birth (though the former is probably a better choice). In any case, you should listen to these three albums first and then work your way back (even though I consciously avoided Skunkworks so far). The Best Of is actually a worthy addition to your collection (at least the 2-Disk set). I got it only after I had all other albums (except, as stated before, Skunkworks).

you can try anything from bruces career
everything is excellent and varied music
each other release is little bit different and absolutely authentic and inventive
try "balls...", "chemical.." or "skunkworks" everything works!

so maybe its not a bad idea to try "best of.." first

Well I got Chemical Wedding..............and it Rules!!!!! [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
The whole album is Fantasitic!

Thanks for your help on deciding what to get, you guys are Legends!! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Don't worry man it's next in line and to be honest I CAN'T WAIT TO GET IT!!!

The B-sides on Bruce's best of are great (no original version of Tears, but oh well), and I'm In A Band With An Italian Drummer alone is worth the price [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-where_eddie_dares+Mar 4 2005, 11:21 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(where_eddie_dares @ Mar 4 2005, 11:21 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]You know.....you would be REALLY happy if you bought Accident of Birth. Its even BETTER than CW.
[snapback]99187[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

mine is and will always be tatooed millionaire!!!!!!!!! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Chemical wedding my alltime favorite Bruce Dickinson album.
Altho, the Best of has some very odd songs that you've never heard before..
like.. "im in a band with an Italian drummer".

very good album. [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I fI were you, i'ld buy AOB next, the n Skunkworks (delicious album, don't mind the rest) and I'ld wait for the new one and I'ld buy it. Man, the smaples sound so goood

When I start to listen a band I never listened before, I NEVER start with a live album. Although it covers (probably best) songs from different albums of that band, usually, it can never be as well-produced as a studio album. (so I'll buy a best-of instead)

And for an artist like Bruce Dickinson, production is essential. By production I mean layering of guitars, layering of vocals & back vocals, guitar tones, effects on instruments, song transitions, fade out's, synchronisation, extra fills...

Best-of albums lacks the consistency of a single studio albums. songs from different recording sessions, different approaches, sometimes different musicians... it lacks a total cohesion.

What's the next Bruce Dickinson to buy after you got introduced? after a best-of? Two options are Accident of birth and Chemical Wedding.

If you prefer to sit back, have your headphones and listen carefully every song, caring for production and musicality, I'd recommend CW, because it is
1) a concept album,
2) all the songs are equally great
3) production, guitar tones are superb and add a lot to the music
4) it has some best guitar solos I have ever heard (King In Crimson...) and some best fitting guitar solos to the feel of the song (Chemical Wedding, Jerusalem, The Alchemist...)

But, I can also recommend Accident Of Birth, it has:

1) songs in many different styles (from heavy-as-bulldozer Starchildren, to mellow peaceful acoustic Arc Of Space, from epic-like Darkside Of Aquairius to 80's rocker The Magician)
2) again, some best guitar solos I have ever heard (emotional Taking The Queen, extensive dual guitar solo Omega)
3) again production shines on songs like Taking The Queen, Man Of Sorrows, Omega
4) it is more riff-based, so it's catchier, yet still rocking as hell.

all in all, AoB songs are less coherent, yet still consistent. they are more independent. and for me, some of them are better than any CW song.

So the choice is yours according to these conditions [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Funnily enough, Bruce's best solo albums are those with Adrian Smith on them. Didn't you notice? [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back