Best Non-DVD Full Concerts

nuno_c

A hollow universe in space
I've been watching Maiden's 2005 gig in Ullevi (and loving it, btw) and i'm thinking about this... What do you guys think are the best non-dvd full concerts around from the band from each era/tour?

That one would probably be my top pick as well. Rock in Rio and Rock Am Ring from the Maiden England tour are fantastic as well.

I really like Globen 2006, but that's audio only. From videos - Rock in Rio and Rock am Ring from Maiden England. I'm so glad they caught revisited Seventh Son on film... Shame we don't have full Download 2013, because what's available looks the best out of other ME pro-shots. Paris 1986 is also great, because it's the most complete footage from Somewhere on Tour, I think... Ullevi 2005 is a good quality recording, but I didn't like the early days setlist.

@Forostar, yes, Santiago Chile 2009 is a great bootleg of SBiT tour. Porto Allegre is also OK.
For early days I prefer Rock am Ring 2005 to Ullevi.

Rock in Rio 2013 sucks (sound- wise), Nicko's bass drum is inaudible, and sound is overall completely screwed until middle of ATSS. Then it gets better. Still no bass drum.
Rock am Ring 2014 I also don't like. Bad audience, average performance, and the sun is shining like it's a middle of afternoon.

There are no complete pro shot bootlegs of SIT tour, Spectrum Philadelphia is pro but incomplete and damaged on spots. Like Sroggy mentioned Paris is a great audience bootleg and so is Gothenburg. And unfortunately one of the best quality audience is that Sheffield night when Bruce was ill and couldn't sing.

For SSOASS tour there is audience video shot of Donington 1988 mixed with BBC archives audio source.

My recommendation for watching would be;
  • Rock am Ring 2005
  • Santiago 2009
  • New York 2010

Nice overview!

Here Santiago 2009 on YouTube:
Bad sound and vid quality this vid though.

Here Rime in slightly higher quality (I think):

Last edited:
I love Adrian's part below "spell starts to break part". It wasn't played like that before (SBiT first leg or 84-87), really adds to the heaviness!
Also Children Of The Damned from that show is epic. And audience shots on the beginning of Powerslave solo section.

Also interesting fact is that early days era is better covered by pro bootlegs than anything else before FOTD. There are BBC soundboards from 1980, video Beat Club performance from 1981 together with Italian RAI broadcast from Rome, Maiden Japan original soundboard, original Hammersmith video tapes from 1982 together with New York audio of same tour, and Hammersmith audio from year later of World Piece Tour. Apart from RiR 1985 video and incomplete Spectrum 1986 and bits and bobs of NPFTD tour (mostly English Intercity Express tour and parts from Japan gigs + Holy Smokers secret gig), there are no other pro videos of 1984-1990 years. Seventh Son tour doesn't have a single pro video bootleg (!).

FOTD tour is when things started to get documented. Various Monsters Of Rock gigs, etc. Both VXI and TXF have multiple pro-shot video bootlegs. In reunion era there are some gaps, like no complete pro video boots of Ed Hunter Tour (parts of New York and Madrid show are captured), nothing from AMOLAD tour except Lick Library's Different World from Denmark, and just minor parts of from TFF tour (El Dorado/Trooper from Japan as far as I recall).

Back to FOTD tour, there's a curiosity with them playing on Worker's Day 1993 at San Giovanni square in Rome. As a general public event it usually hosts local (Italian) pop performers but sometimes they get a big name like Maiden playing a few tunes. It's interesting because Maiden are playing only two songs in concert on a shortened stage usually used by support acts :) Check it out...

Cool find Zare, what a nice location, to witness the band in the Roman centre.

@0.54: great shot of old buildings!

Back