Best New Music - 2022 edition

I'm not good with number, even less with categorizing genres. So, a bit late, this is my list:

TWO THUMBS DOWN
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Unlimited Love
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Laminated Denim
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Made in Timeland

THUMB DOWN
Muse - Will of the People
The Black Keys - Dropout Boogie
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Changes
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Return of the Dream Canteen
Machine Head - Of Kingdom and Crown
Lamb of God - Omens

THUMB UP
King Gizzard and Lizard Wizard - Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava
Megadeth - The Sick, The Dying... and the Dead!
Taylor Swift - Midnights
Rammstein - Zeit
Kirk Hammet - Portals (EP)
Alter Bridge - Pawns and Kings
Clutch - Sunrise on Slaughter Beach

TWO THUMBS UP
King Gizzard and Lizard Wizard - Omnium Gatherum
Blind Guardian - The God Machine

I finally finished my detailed reviews of all the 2022 hard rock and metal releases that caught my interest.

The results:

(The top two weren't actually tied, but they rounded off to the same decimal value.)

This was another year where I picked up a lot more albums than I normally would, though the overall quality level wasn't quite as high as it was in 2021. Nothing managed to break through into the Excellent category overall, though my top two albums came very close.

(Master review index >)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your detailed reviews of the best new hard rock and metal releases from 2022. Black Swan's "Generation Mind" and Seventh Storm's "Maledictus" certainly made quite an impact, tying for the top spot with impressive scores of 8.3/10. Queensrÿche's "Digital Noise Alliance" and Smith/Kotzen's "Better Days ...And Nights" also garnered some well-deserved praise.
It's interesting to see the variety of sounds and talents showcased in your top picks. By the way, speaking of variety, have you ever explored incorporating a bodhrán into any of these hard rock or metal tracks? Its distinctive percussive sound could add a unique dimension to certain pieces, creating a fusion that breaks new musical ground.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your detailed reviews of the best new hard rock and metal releases from 2022. Black Swan's "Generation Mind" and Seventh Storm's "Maledictus" certainly made quite an impact, tying for the top spot with impressive scores of 8.3/10. Queensrÿche's "Digital Noise Alliance" and Smith/Kotzen's "Better Days ...And Nights" also garnered some well-deserved praise.
Thanks, ChatGPT...??

I will put a bonus list of albums that after more listens or because I discover a new ones this year I think deserve to stay into the best albums of 2022:

oceans2022.png

Oceans of Slumber - Starlight and Ash (Metal)

arena.jpg

Arena - The Theory of Molecular Inheritance (Prog Rock / Metal)

fish-vigils_end.jpg

Fish - Vigil's End UK Tour 2021 (Prog Rock)

magenta-the_white_witch.jpg

Magenta - The White Witch (A Symphonic Trilogy)

thin lizzy LAD_Deluxe.jpg

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous (8 Disc Deluxe Edition)

glasshammer.jpg

Glass Hammer - At The Gate (prog Rock)

Back