Best New Music - 2021 edition

Hawkwind - Somnia
It's a very space and ambient album. Great work by these Masters.

Time out! Time out! Time out! Time out! Am I so off the radar that not only have I completely ignored the fact Hawkwind had a new album but also they have been releasing albums throughout the last two decades????????? Man how could this go under my radar? And what I've listened from Somnia is even better (IMO) than the majority of their already great records from the 70's (except In Search Of Space... nothing beats that one as far as I'm concerned)! Holy crap this album sounds fantastic! Strange Encounters, the stretch between China Blues and Sweet Dreams, the bluesy space trip of I Can't Get You Off My Mind, Small Objects In Space, Barkus... Wow! This is TOP STUFF! Straight to my top 10 favorite albums of this year FOR SURE! Thank you @The_7th_one for posting this, really! And at the same time no thanks because now I have to spend more money on a record and listen to at least a dozen other Hawkwind releases I missed. :p

Last edited:
Time out! Time out! Time out! Time out! Am I so off the radar that not only have I completely ignored the fact Hawkwind had a new album but also they have been releasing albums throughout the last two decades????????? Man how could this go under my radar? And what I've listened from Somnia is even better (IMO) than the majority of their already great records from the 70's (except In Search Of Space... nothing beats that one as far as I'm concerned)! Holy crap this album sounds fantastic! Strange Encounters, the stretch between China Blues and Sweet Dreams, the bluesy space trip of I Can't Get You Off My Mind, Small Objects In Space, Barkus... Wow! This is TOP STUFF! Straight to my top 10 favorite albums of this year FOR SURE! Thank you @The_7th_one for posting this, really! And at the same time no thanks because now I have to spend more money on a record and listen to at least a dozen other Hawkwind releases I missed. :p

You have a glorious amount of music ahead of you. The Acoustic Daze EP is a real treat

ahahah It's a great album. I hate to rank all theses fabulous albums and bands. In my Top 10 or Top 20 of this year. That's for sure!
Anyway that's the reason of this thread. To include the awesome albums that have been released this year. I like you found the Hawkwind album. It's a gem! :D

Last edited:
Exodus - Persona Non Grata
This is another one to don't miss. Great riffs, solos, very good worked record. The sound is amazing. Thrash all over the place. Carcass and this one are the thrash albums of the year, no doubt.

Cover.jpg

I've been really loving Trivium - In the Court of the Dragon lately. It's very catchy and has some headbanging moments. I recommend most The Shadow of the Abattoir, which is just an amazing half-power-ballad (there's a pretty lengthy thrash bridge), A Crisis of Revelation which reminds me a little more of their Ascendancy album, and the title track which has a lot of cool riffs and tastes a little like cheese ;)

Mastodon - Hushed and Grim
Listened to this one for the first time today and it’s very good. I’m not really a Mastodon guy, but there was none of the rough singing that showed up so often on their earlier records, and the level of musicianship was high, as expected. Strong songwriting, too. Good stuff.

Ok... time for a update:

Cynic - Ascension Codes : What can I say? Weeeeeeeell yeah... more than confirmed LOL. Album of the year.

Enslaved - Caravans To The Outer Worlds: If the new album coming next year is as good as this EP we're in for something reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally amazing... can't wait for it!

Fear Factory - Aggression Continuum: The last album from FF is nothing new (more orchestrations than usual but other than that...) but still has quality enough to be a proper goodbye. Yes because FF without Burton is unthinkable.

Iron Maiden - Senjutsu: As I said multiple times... 41 years after their debut maiden release a record lacking fillers with some really crushing tunes. Some traits here and there irritate me (especially the guitar mimicking the voice so much). It's not a Powerslave but it's really good album that ensures that as long the guys want they still 100% got it.

Radiohead - Kid Amnesia Exhibition: Worth for the multimedia experience and it's always a treat listening to a masterpiece like Kid A remastered (Amnesia not so much really can´t see what's so special in that album).

Cult Of Luna - The Raging River: Great EP but after listening to Cold Burn from the upcoming album The Long Road North I think I'll forget this release fast by February. That thing sounds majestic!

Hawkwind - Somnia: Aaaaaaaaaaaaah what a surprise.... tripy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Negura Bunget - Zau: If you liked Zi go for this one. Like its predecessor much more folk influenced. Great record

Devin Townsend - The Puzzle: Weird as hell, experimental, confuse but some of the passages are mind blowing. Snuggles (the other record) while being much more relaxed is even more experimental and I really get lost in it. Not feeling this second disc. Devin warned that this would be kind of an experiment than an album per se and next year a more straight forward record will be released.

... and there's something else I'm really missing. I'll remember later. But these 9 are there for sure.

Last edited:
On the 31st of this month, I will also be posting my top list + some awards for the best performers of the year. I've been quite busy listening to this year's releases lately.

I'm going to include all new-to-me music for this year because there's not much, a lot were purchased off the back of the GMAC.
This year releases, or the latest release by the band if not this year, are in bold.

Order is when added to iTunes
Judas Priest - Hell Bent for Leather, have Killing Machine for years obviously, but wanted the Green Manalishi too
Smith / Kotzen - Smith / Kotzen
Annihilator - Alice in Hell
Lykantropi - Tales to be Told
Lykantropi - Spirituosa
Lykantropi - Lykantropi
A Tribute to Judas Priest Vol 1
Sabbat - Dream Weaver
A Tribute to Judas Priest Vol 2
Judas Priest - A Touch of Evil Live
Sabbat - A History of a Time to Come
Iron Maiden - Senjutsu
Skyclad - Prince of the Poverty Line
Skyclad - Jonah's Ark
Skyclad - Tracks from the Wilderness EP
Smith / Kotzen - Better Days EP
Unto Others - Don't Waste Your Time EP
Unto Others - Mana
Unto Others - Don't Waste your Time II EP
Unto Others - Strength
Unto Others - I Believe in Halloween EP

incoming
Megadeth - Endgame (strictly speaking I have it here now but I haven't listened yet)
Jethro Tull - Aqualung Stephen Wilson mix
Dead Lord - back catalogue

If you're desperate for ratings the 3 2021 studio albums would be ranked
Iron Maiden - Senjutsu
Unto Others - Strength
Smith / Kotzen - Smith / Kotzen

I've not done much new music this year, but the order goes:

6 (Tie) - Ad Infinitum - Chapter II
6 (Tie) - Dream Theater - A View From The Top Of The World
5 - Beast In Black - Dark Connection
4 - Seven Spires - Gods Of Debauchery
3 - Noora Louhimo Experience - Eternal Wheel Of Space And Time
2 - The Night Flight Orchestra - Aeromantic II
1 - Iron Maiden - Senjutsu

Looking ahead, 2022 seems quite promising. We have new singles for new releases by Battle Beast, Dynazty, Halestorm, Sabaton and Scorpions already. I believe there's also supposed to be some Avantasia in the works, though nothing confirmed.

Looking ahead, 2022 seems quite promising. We have new singles for new releases by Battle Beast, Dynazty, Halestorm, Sabaton and Scorpions already. I believe there's also supposed to be some Avantasia in the works, though nothing confirmed.
Yeah, there are also new albums coming from Megadeth, Stratovarius, Blind Guardian etc. It's definitely looking like another really good year.

Yeah, there are also new albums coming from Megadeth, Stratovarius, Blind Guardian etc. It's definitely looking like another really good year.
Ive never gotten into Blind Guardian but I'll definitely check the other two out. For Stratovarius in particular it feels like it's been a long time since their last one.

2022 NEW upcoming RELEASES

JANUARY

14- Magnum - The Monster Roars
14- Tony Martin - Thorns
28- Jethro Tull - The Zealot Gene
28 - Big Big Train - Welcome to the Planet
28 - Steve Vai - Inviolate

FEBRUARY

4- Saxon - Carpe Diem
11- Amorphis - Halo
11- Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy And The Conspirators – 4
11- Alan Parsons One Note Symphony: Live in Tel Aviv
11 - Voivod - Synchro Anarchy
11- cult of luna - the long north road
18 - Annhilator - metal II
18 - argon Lucassen - rebel in time
25- Scorpions - Rock Believer
25 - tears for fears - the tipping point

MARCH

4 - Marillion - An Hour before it’s Dark
4 - The Flower Kings - By Royal Decree
11 - Bryan Addams - so happy it hurt

APRIL

1 - The Helicopters - Eyes of Oblivion

SEPTEMBER

Blind Guardian

——————————
no release date yet

Kreator
Megadeth
Peter Gabriel
Queensrÿche
King’s X

Since this discussion is dedicated to new albums and music releases, can you help me? I just love the band Three Days Grace, though I stopped listening to it back in 2014. But just a couple of months ago, I once again fell in love with this band's music. Does anyone happen to know when the new album of the band Three Days Grace will be released? I don't know where people usually read information about the latest tracks, newest albums, and music news in general. My friend, for example, always knows all the latest news about his favorite bands, games, and anime. Perhaps I should visit social networks more often, where all the information and updates are usually located.

Last edited:
FEBRUARY
25 - tears for fears - the tipping point

MARCH
4 - Marillion - An Hour before it’s Dark
Really curious about these two albums.

FEBRUARY
11 - Voivod - Synchro Anarchy
11- cult of luna - the long north road
Already listened to the advance tracks (and of course both rule).

APRIL
1 - The Helicopters - Eyes of Oblivion
It's HELLAcopters. For Nicke and the boys it´s not enough to fly... you have to fly fast like the devil eheheheh :D

no release date yet
Kreator
Megadeth
Peter Gabriel
Also looking forward for these. Kreator hasn't released an album that truly pumps my blood since the amazing Hordes Of Chaos and the same goes for Megadeth since Endgame (curiously enough both albums were released 12 years ago). As for Peter no one knows what he can pull out of his hat. Plus Devin Townsend will release a much less experimental album next year. So yeah... seems like there is going to be a cool 2022 when it comes to music.

Back