Best New Music - 2021 edition

The production is clearly not high-end, but I don't think they sound amateurish. Then again, I'm mostly listening to underground stuff these days, so it's possible my standards are different.

I heard songs from their 2 previous albums, some interesting stuff there too. Never heard of them before. They changed their style abit but after hearing 2 songs, I was allready hooked and preordered the new album. That NWOTHM channel is a goldmine.

CORONARY-Sinbad-LP.jpg

Coronary - Sinbad

From my notes: Smokey, rough heavy metal taking cues from all the classic bands from AC/DC to Saxon and Priest, but still manages to sound fresh, laid back and fun.

Again, full album is on Spotify and YouTube.

Reactions: Jer
71abBhEZ1cL._SY355_.jpg

The End Machine - Phase2
(full album stream)

Just came out on Friday, really digging it. The End Machine was originally composed of the three members of the classic Dokken line-up that weren’t Don Dokken — George Lynch, Jeff Pilson, and “Wild” Mick Brown — with Robert Mason from Lynch Mob (Mk. II) added on vocals. Since Mick Brown has now retired, he’s replaced by his younger brother “Mild” Steve Brown for this record.

While the first album was more noodly and a little less accessible, this album is much tighter and punchier, and bursting with hooks and great guitar work. It straddles the line pretty well between the bluesy hard rock of Lynch Mob and the smooth metal sound of Dokken without sounding too dated. Many of the songs are immediate, while some take a few listens to grow on you. There are a couple of weaker tracks, but nothing on here is bad, and most of it is really good or great.

Singles:

71abBhEZ1cL._SY355_.jpg

The End Machine - Phase2
(full album stream)

Just came out on Friday, really digging it. The End Machine was originally composed of the three members of the classic Dokken line-up that weren’t Don Dokken — George Lynch, Jeff Pilson, and “Wild” Mick Brown — with Robert Mason from Lynch Mob (Mk. II) added on vocals. Since Mick Brown has now retired, he’s replaced by his younger brother “Mild” Steve Brown for this record.

While the first album was more noodly and a little less accessible, this album is much tighter and punchier, and bursting with hooks and great guitar work. It straddles the line pretty well between the bluesy hard rock of Lynch Mob and the smooth metal sound of Dokken without sounding too dated. Many of the songs are immediate, while some take a few listens to grow on you. There are a couple of weaker tracks, but nothing on here is bad, and most of it is really good or great.

Singles:

I agree. It's a very good album. I have to listen the first one

Reactions: Jer
CORONARY-Sinbad-LP.jpg

Coronary - Sinbad

From my notes: Smokey, rough heavy metal taking cues from all the classic bands from AC/DC to Saxon and Priest, but still manages to sound fresh, laid back and fun.

Again, full album is on Spotify and YouTube.
Very good album. Yeah it Reminded me to a mix of Airborne and Accept and a little bit of Saxon. The best songs for me are Bullet Train, Reflector, Burnout and Worlds of Wonder

Dio - Evil or Divine. Live in New York City (2021)
Fantastic Live double album by Dio. It's recorded in 2003 in New York trough the Killing the Dragon Tour with the same lineup who recorded that album. This live album was originally released in 2003 I think. This reissue comes with another cover artwork and 2 tracks more, a Simon Wright drum solo and "Lord of the Last Day". The sound is amazing and the performance of the entire band is absolutely great. I have to highlight Ronnie vocals and Doug Aldrich performance on the guitar. how the guitar flows trough all the songs with those amazing licks and guitar solos. Unbelievable. They play 3 or 4 songs from Killing the Dragon, the classic Dio songs (Holy Diver, Stand up and shout,…) a couple of Sabbath and Rainbow songs. Highly recommended. It's worth to take a listen. (There is a video on Youtube with the full concert)

cover.jpg

Heard of but never listened to this band before; they just reunited after like 8 years of abscence. Predominantly melodeath, but this song is more like power metal; growls are only in the background of the chorus. Anyway, extremely catchy song. Might check out more of them.

Bend the Future - Without Notice (2021)

Great Prog-Jazz Rock album from this French band. The most of the album is instrumental, sometimes prog, and sometimes soft jazz with Sax included hypnotic guitar arpeggios, soft and sometimes complex beats of drumming. Highly recommended for the lovers of the genre.
You can hear the full album in this youtube link

cover.jpg

Yes, It also has been a nice surprise for me really. It's a band formed in 2019, this is their second album. The first one is called: Pendellosung. I will dig on it later.

Alice Cooper - Detroit Stories (2021)

Very enjoyable album. Very catchy songs with blues, hard rock, blues touches…The guy with 73 years old sings better than ever and I think is almost a perfect album. One highlights of the year no doubt.

Unknown.jpeg

Bend the Future - Without Notice (2021)

Great Prog-Jazz Rock album from this French band. The most of the album is instrumental, sometimes prog, and sometimes soft jazz with Sax included hypnotic guitar arpeggios, soft and sometimes complex beats of drumming. Highly recommended for the lovers of the genre.
You can hear the full album in this youtube link

View attachment 14510
Love the album cover. When I saw it I got excited for a cool, punk-type release...but then saw “prog-jazz” which made me sad.

Speaking of which, fans of thrash/Slayer should check out “Kill Grid” by Enforced. Saw a review of it on Banger and, unlike a lot of the extreme stuff they recommend, it got me excited. It’s pretty cool. Vocals are mostly just monotone shouts, which is suboptimal, but the riffing is tasty.
1621087879211.jpeg

Paul Gilbert - Werewolves of Portland (2021)
Very cool and fun to listen with funny song titles. Shreding and melodic in every songs. Awesome guitar tone and Paul is the happiest person to playing the guitar.

cover.jpg

I might do proper reviews for these once the school year is over and my condensed summer semester ends. I own 8 releases from this year (3 unlistened as they haven't arrived yet)

Recommendations
Evanescence - The Bitter Truth
Todd La Torre - Rejoice In The Suffering
Dead Dasies - Holy Ground

Solid and worth a look:
Greta Van Fleet - The Battle At Garden's Gate

Okay
Michael Schenker Group - Immortal

Awaiting Delivery
Myles Kennedy - The Ides Of March
Helloween - Helloween
KK's Priest - Sermons Of The Sinner