Best Murder Song

Which are your two best murder related songs ?

• Sanctuary

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • The Ides of March

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Murders in the rue Morgue

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Innocent Exile

• Killers

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • Sun and Steel

• Flash of the Blade

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • The Assassin

• The Fugitive

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • The Mercenary

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters

____no5

Free Man
Definiions :

1-war killings are not murders (afraid to shoot strangers etc etc)
2-executions are not murders (hallowed be thy name etc etc)
3-it doesn't matter if the hero of the song is innocent or not, there's a murder (the fugitive etc etc)

---------
Bring your Daughter was a tough one, I decided to include it, even if it's not so clear if murder is the theme of the song ---> EDIT : the option has been retired after Genghis Khan and LC's objections

Flight of Icarus, was a tough one too, his father betrayed him and tricked his wings, but can we consider this a murder ?? I will not include it for the moment
---------

my votes :
The Ides of March -a great song about a great murder
Flash of the Blade -great lyrics, great guitar sound, an all time favourite

My votes are for Killers and Flash Of the Blade.

Killers is Paul's best track. Plus, Bruce sings it good on Maiden England (I think it was played? Trying to remember form You Tube)

FOTB is one I *wish* they would play next tour, but that's too much of a longshot. H's awesome guitar work!  :D

Powergirl81 said:
My votes are for Killers and Flash Of the Blade.

Killers is Paul's best track. Plus, Bruce sings it good on Maiden England (I think it was played? Trying to remember form You Tube)

FOTB is one I *wish* they would play next tour, but that's too much of a longshot. H's awesome guitar work!  :D

I hate to be a copycat, but I have to go with the same songs as you do. Killers is my favourite song from this album (but both Ides of March and Murders in the Rue Morgue are good too) and Flash of the Blade is way too underrated. Cool guitar, I also like the singing and it is on my second favourite album.

However - if I could pick one "surprise" song from Powerslave for the upcoming tour, I would go with The Duellists. Even more of the awesome guitar  :D

I don't think Bring Your Daughter... should be here.  The "murder" or slaughter is metaphorical.

I will vote for Murders in the Rue Morgue because of its bass and chorus.  I also like how the bass and guitar run together.

Flash of the Blade could have been another great choice.  An undervalued gem on Powerslave.

Genghis Khan said:
I don't think Bring Your Daughter... should be here.  The "murder" or slaughter is metaphorical.

Yes of course, but to understand that, one has to have read Bruce's interviews -where he explains for what is all about.... I tried to see all songs with a clear eye ; their title and lyric -no other information -you see what I mean ?

i went for the ides of march and murders in the rue morgue, they were a class pair of songs to open the show i saw the band do on the early days tour in 2005.

____no5 said:
Yes of course, but to understand that, one has to have read Bruce's interviews -where he explains for what is all about.... I tried to see all songs with a clear eye ; their title and lyric -no other information -you see what I mean ?

I think the song is clear just by reading/listening to the lyrics.  Tongue-in-cheek humour like this is nothing unusual in rock music.  Many bands made a career out of it: AC/DC, Aerosmith, KISS, etc.

____no5 said:

Maybe to *you*.  To me it was apparent the first time I heard the song.  "Slaughter" is a common euphemism for taking a woman's innocence in English literature dating down past Shakespeare.

Forostar said:
No Rime....?

An albatros was murdered! And later four times fifty living men!!  :)

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: ah Forostar and his Rime ...
killing a bird is not a murder  ::), the 200 were cursed after bird's killing
what did you vote Forostar ????

LooseCannon said:
Maybe to *you*.  To me it was apparent the first time I heard the song.  "Slaughter" is a common euphemism for taking a woman's innocence in English literature dating down past Shakespeare.

ok ok after two native English objections (Genghis, LC) I've retired the daughter option

happy ?

Nobody has spoken for Flight of Icarus though
...In your opinion, can it be considered as a murder or not ???

I didn't included in the poll because as I understand the word murder is something straight
the killing of Icarus by his father is an assassination for me ...but still I'm not a native speaker,
so c'mon, give me your lights people  ;)

Nobody has spoken for Flight of Icarus though
...In your opinion, can it be considered as a murder or not ???

Yes, this is murder by definition, the intentional killing of another human being. It was intentional and clever if I may add.

I'm voting for The Ides of March for the same reason as you, it is homage to the most popular murder of all time..... and Killers, it's a great song that has murder written all over it.

Killers is one of my all time favorites, and certainly my favorite Paul track (closely followed by Phantom of the Opera). Murders in the Rue Morgue I just find the lyrics interesting and I like it better than the other options.

Murders In The Rue Morgue hands down for me followed by the Brilliant Flash Of The Blade.

Though I Don't have MITRM sung by Bruce  :(

Eclipse said:
Murders In The Rue Morgue hands down for me followed by the Brilliant Flash Of The Blade.

Though I Don't have MITRM sung by Bruce  :(

check out Beast Over Hammersmith.

i voted for MITRM and Killers

Back