Best line in TFF

To me, the most beautiful line in the whole album is "Empty flesh and hollow bones / make pacts of love / but die alone". Cryptic, poetic and emotional. What is your favorite line?

you are free to choose. a life to live or one thats left to lose.

but nothing beatS

and all the lighthouses. their beams converge to guide me HOOOMMMMEEEE !!!!

hmmmm. Tough freaking call.

"We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond; we will dance among the worlds that orbit starts that aren't our son"

Beautiful line reminding us of the unending potential of the human experience.

Whatever god you know, he knows you better than you believe.

One of the best and most meaningful pieces of lyric I have ever heard.

"The crucible of pain will forge the blanks of sin (pause) begin again." Oh yeaaaaaaaah....

First of all LC, isn't it  sun not son? My favorite line is something in Starblind. I'd like to tackle it in the commentary section some time.

Currently, we all agree that Starblind is the best song on the album, lyrically. Interesting.

Perun said:
Currently, we all agree that Starblind is the best song on the album, lyrically. Interesting.
to me it means people preach of sin and act as "all holy" when they do the things they say not to do as if God doesn't notice. Also you can preach a false god all you want but in the end you're only scamming yourself. Sort of a double meaning. At least thats what it means to me.

Mega said:
I actually don't get that line at all.

To me, it means that whether you are a theist or atheist doesn't matter. If you lie to others and to yourself, it will come back to you anyhow. If you are a theist, you will in the end have to answer to your god, and he knows everything about you, about all the lies you told to others and most of all, all the lies you told yourself; and you will have to justify lying to yourself.
If you are an atheist, you will still have to answer to your own conscience. If you say or do something you know is untrue, you will spend the rest of your life having to explain it to yourself.

In any way, you can't hide from the truth, whatever you believe in.

Don Dokken said:
First of all LC, isn't it  sun not son? My favorite line is something in Starblind. I'd like to tackle it in the commentary section some time.

Sun. Yes, it is sun. I am EXTREMELY hungover and tired.

TFF has some of the best lyrics in the Maiden canon,
even putting aside the general consensus on the masterpiece that is Starblind (my pick for best Maiden lyrics ever):

El Dorado — sharp social commentary built around an old myth
Mother of Mercy — yes, they've done the war thing a lot, but some very poetic imagery, as touched on above.
Coming Home — more poetry on a subject that easily could have been cheesy in lesser hands.
The Alchemist, the Talisman — old school, image-drenched Maiden storytelling
When The Wild Wind Blows — More storytelling, but with a powerful, real, everyday folk feel.

Bruce and Steve were definitely at the top of their wordsmithing in this one.

"You are free to choose whatever life to live or life to lose"

Honorable mention to the whole of El Dorado and "Over borders that divide the earthbound tribes; No creed and no religion, just a hundred winged souls" from Coming Home.

Invader said:
"You are free to choose whatever life to live or life to lose"

and "Over borders that divide the earthbound tribes; No creed and no religion, just a hundred winged souls" from Coming Home.

Both of these for me.

Plus...

"Starblind with sun the stars are one, we are the light that brings the end of night".

"Sitting waiting in the falling rain, getting ready to begin again. Wounded lying crying, bodies moving dying, all around there is the smell of death and fire".

"I don't hold with bad religion understand what's underneath it.  Now I come to think of it I just don't hold at all you know it."

"You say you are a holy man but what is it you do?  From where I stand is nothing but a hollow man I see."

"The birds outsoar the raging storm but we cannot escape it."

"We will ride this thunderbird"  and "stretch the fingers of my hand cover countries with my span."

Definitely this is the best written Maiden album for me.  There's more, but those stand out more than most.

"Over borders that divide the earthbound tribes, Through the dark Atlantic; over mariners stormy graves." Bruce's lyrics to Coming Home are really poetic and this is one of my favourites from the song.

"Holding on for our dear lives, And we’re praying once again." The atmosphere the song has built up really well and this really fits the song and where it's at at the time. The vocal melody for these lyrics is awesome too.

While I like the thought provoking lyrics of Starblind, I'm more into the storytelling songs. I wish El Dorado was actually about the golden city, rather than a social commentary but the lyrics to that one are consistently great too.

Back