• Caught Somewhere In Time --> 4:48 -4:50

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Prodigal Son -->4:23 -4:48

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

____no5

Free Man
Here's the link --->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCZD1oyhkqU&feature=related

Till now, I considered two songs for having a Harris' solo, Only The Good Die Young & Blood On The World's Hands,
I'm not sure if the rest of three can be considered as solo, thus the title 'Best Harris Moment'

Feel free to suggest other moments for modifying that list, in case you think of other moments that can consider as a solo
(for this reason I added the option of changing your vote)
-SMX you can modify the list as you like, you're a bassist after all.

My favourite is Only The Good Die Young, it's clearly a bass solo which plus fits unbelievably with the song.

Powerslave. It's a perfect song in every way, including the bass solo.
Somewhat of a bass solo at that. I never really pain much attention to it, but I think that it repeats itself several times, so it may not be a bass solo.

Where's Strange World and Prodigal Son?! These are some of the most brilliant bass lines ever!

From the list, I vote Stranger In A Strange Land. The Duellists is fantastic, too.

Based on the BASS, I'd go with Only the Good Die Young. SiaSL is more of an H moment, and Powerslave is Powerslave.

Powerslave and Only the Good Die Young really were the only bass lines I noticed on the list prior to the video, if that makes sense.

Mega said:
Powerslave. It's a perfect song in every way, including the bass solo.
Somewhat of a bass solo at that. I never really pain much attention to it, but I think that it repeats itself several times, so it may not be a bass solo.

I think the bass parts in Sea of Madness (from 2:30 to 3:40) and Stranger In A Strange Land (from 3:19 to 3:51) are absolutely lovely. They show 'Arry from his melodic side, which I enjoy a lot. Also the bass under Dave's solo in Powerslave is great, and of course Infinite Dreams. Wonderful bass playing.

The "solo" in Only The Good Die Young is also cool. By the way, the galloping in that song has to be one of the fastest in any Maiden song? His fingers must have been bleeding after recording that one. (The others that I can come to think about with about the same speed are Run To the Hills, The Trooper and Caught Somewhere in Time. An example of a somewhat slower gallop could be Dream of Mirrors - although that song kills my hands every time I play it).

However, of the ones in the list my vote goes to Powerslave.

Updated according to your comments !! You can change your vote, remember  ;)

Please specify the moments when you propose, like this I will be able to modify the list by adding next to the poll option the times of the bass line.

Eddies Wingman said:
The "solo" in Only The Good Die Young is also cool. By the way, the galloping in that song has to be one of the fastest in any Maiden song? His fingers must have been bleeding after recording that one. (The others that I can come to think about with about the same speed are Run To the Hills, The Trooper and Caught Somewhere in Time. An example of a somewhat slower gallop could be Dream of Mirrors - although that song kills my hands every time I play it).

I think that Run To The Hills is the fastest. I can't imagine someone galloping this hard with his fingers, I can barely do it with a pick.

DoM isn't that bad.

DoM isn't that fast, but the gallopping part is quite long (almost 4 minutes, that's actually longer than Run To The Hills). However, I guess it hurts more for the poor sod who tries to do Nicko's bass drum part there ... at least if he wants to do it like Nicko, with one foot  :D

I actually talked to this girl the other day who told me, "it's quite impressive what Nicko does given that he only uses one pedal." Upon my question where the hell she knew that from, she said "my boyfriend is a drummer, he told me."

Bummer.

Anyway, to answer the poll's question, I was inclined to say that the intro of Blood on the World's Hands is easily the best thing I ever heard on bass, but the bass in the middle of Rime of the Ancient Mariner always sends a shiver down my spine too, so I can't decide.

Moonchild33 said:
Based on the BASS, I'd go with Only the Good Die Young. SiaSL is more of an H moment, and Powerslave is Powerslave.

What a load of bull. Only The Good Die young has nothing special on the bass line, except the little bridge to get back into the main riff. The Duellists, Flash Of The Blade and Back In The Village has some of the most insane bass lines and bass grooves. On SIASL, both shine together - Adrian and Steve.

Jeffmetal said:
What a load of bull. Only The Good Die young has nothing special on the bass line, except the little bridge to get back into the main riff. The Duellists, Flash Of The Blade and Back In The Village has some of the most insane bass lines and bass grooves. On SIASL, both shine together - Adrian and Steve.

Eh, I find it really groovy and a fun bass line. It sounds like Steve really had fun with it. I base a lot of my taste on energy, and OTGDY just has the best energy (with Powerslave up there too). And I find it the best part of the song (next to the chorus). It's one of my favourite songs.
As for SiaSL, that Adrian solo just has so much emotion, I find it overshadows Steve a bit. But it's a great bass line as well. I just normally direct my attention at Adrian.

Moonchild33 said:
As for SiaSL, that Adrian solo just has so much emotion, I find it overshadows Steve a bit. But it's a great bass line as well. I just normally direct my attention at Adrian.

You cannot separate here, in my opinion. The bass line and the guitar lead were made to match. One of them loses a lot of its point if you remove the other.If 'Arry just laid down the bass note at the start of each measure (it would be E, D, C, D), that first part of the solo wouldn't really be that special.

Eddies Wingman said:
You cannot separate here, in my opinion. The bass line and the guitar lead were made to match. One of them loses a lot of its point if you remove the other.If 'Arry just laid down the bass note at the start of each measure (it would be E, D, C, D), that first part of the solo wouldn't really be that special.

I'd still find it pretty special, but it's really all a matter of taste, isn't it? I'll agree to disagree.

Stranger in a Strange Land, great melodic stuff from both Steve and Adrian.

As for Nicko's pedal, its spring is set up in a way that allows for very fast kicking. The downside is that most of the dynamic is lost, or in other words, there can't be much of a variety of the kick drum sound. Which isn't really a downside since this is heavy metal, not jazz. :D

And Nicko is pretty much a jazz drummer in a Metal band. That's what makes him so unique. The pedal don't have that much dynamic, mainly, 'cos Harris strip down a lot Nick's drumming.

From the list, Stranger in a Strange Land got the nod, but my favorite Harris moments would have to include Transylvania and For the Greater Good of God...

Back