Best Bass Lines

SirRobbins

Ancient Mariner
There is a thread like this started 10 years ago :confused: so I am starting a new one. The best Bass Lines from the master Harris. Songs that have bass lines that truly stick out and are noticeable above the other guitars and maybe even drums and vocals. Intros, solos and overlays are all acceptable. My picks are the following

Purgatory (fast bass throughout)
Innocent Exile (intro)
Wrathchild (intro and really whole song)
Charlotte the Harlot (my favorite bass lines of all in the mid section)
Phantom of the Opera (fast bass)
Rime of the Ancient Mariner (bass! bass! everywhere)
Stranger in a Strange Land (is the bass never not noticeable in this song)
Sea of Madness (beautiful bass in the solo)
Deja Vu (beautiful bass in the intro and solo)
Sign of the Cross (intro and mid section solos)
The Clairvoyant (intro)
Only the Good Die Young (bass solo after first verse)
Dream of Mirrors (throughout the whole song)
For the Greater Good of God (intro)
When the Wild Wind Blows (intro)

I think the bass line in The Trooper is incredibly underrated, it totally fills up the intro, without it, it just feels empty.

Take a listen to how it sounds without the bass:

Thank god for Steve Harris!

I think the bass line in The Trooper is incredibly underrated, it totally fills up the intro, without it, it just feels empty.

Take a listen to how it sounds without the bass:

Thank god for Steve Harris!
The difference is really amazing!

This is pretty much how most music sounds to me. I'm not known for owning equipment with very good sound, particularly at the bass end.

Trooper without the bass has no urgency, no heartbeat.
But I guess we always knew Steve was the heart of Maiden.

The bass sound on those early Maiden albums is what makes them so special. I can't think of a better Metal bass tone. It's too bad his presence isn't felt as much on recent albums.

The bass sound on those early Maiden albums is what makes them so special. I can't think of a better Metal bass tone. It's too bad his presence isn't felt as much on recent albums.

A lot of the live albums have significant bass tones to them. Rock in Rio and En Vivo have great bass sound and it's very clear in several songs. Sad they are truly not as well heard in the studio albums though

SirRobbins has listed some great basslines, but I would add To Tame a Land and Aces High, as the bass really drives those songs, and Infinite Dreams, which is great. But basslines give so much to songs not written by Harris, like Powerslave, Sea of Madness and the already mentionned Stranger in a Strange Land. The reason I love Maiden England so much is the very prominent bass in the mix, with a very audible top end.

I was listening to Deja Vu this morning and was even more beside myself on how the bass is more dominant than the guitars in many ways. Sounds so good in that song

Don't know if this will be off topic, but many times what really amazes me is the way Steve's playing complements everything, apart from the actual bass line

Infinite Dreams, at least the Birmingham video version. the bass sounds absolutely amazing on that one.

the build up on the Rime of the Ancient Mariner after the long moody part.

Back