BEST BAND EVER: Results!

The “technical for technicality’s sake” is what makes Tool boring for me overall, but the individual musicians are great. Carey’s drumming is cool AF.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 109:
Ingo Schwichtenberg
Carl Palmer

Promoted after Round 109:
Dave Grohl
Danny Carey

Alex Holzwarth (four different-RHAPSODY-bands)
vs.
Bill Bruford (KING CRIMSON, YES)

John Bonham (LED ZEPPELIN)
vs.
Nick Mason (PINK FLOYD)

I expect Bonham to run away with this one, as he probably should, but I’m going for Nick Mason who is consistently an underdog. His fills bring bombast to Floyd’s music (In the Flesh, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, and Echoes for reference). He’s also responsible for a lot of the sound effects and ambient decisions in Floyd. These days he is probably the biggest advocate for the experimental early Floyd.

Bruford. Very impressed by the musicianship of Yes. I'm also going for Nick Mason. I absolutely love the footage of him playing in Live at Pompeii, probably my favourite drummer moment ever, the focus and passion is incredible, and he sounds incredibly good there too.

Alex Holzwarth is the drummer I've had most experience with in this round and he easily gets my vote vs. Bruford. Bruford is fine, but thin production and his style isn't really my cup of tea. Alex Holzwarth is a legend in power metal genre.

In the 2nd pairing, I can say I've never paid attention to either drummers in their bands, but taking into account that I never liked Led Zeppelin, but like Pink Floyd... Mason was always gonna get my vote. Bonham failed to impress me in a 7 minute long song. Mason was barely audible for first 2 minutes or so but made a much better impression in a shorter time period.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 110:
Alex Holzwarth
John Bonham

Promoted after Round 110:
Bill Bruford
Nick Mason

Baard Kolstad (BORKNAGAR, LEPROUS)
vs.
Tom Hunting (EXODUS)

Barriemore Barlow (JETHRO TULL)
vs.
Mick Fleetwood (FLEETWOOD MAC)

Baard Kolstad is one of the best young prog metal drummers... maybe one of the best drummers in general actually. In Leprous he showcases his prog side, but IMO his playing is way more interesting than of most other prog drummers. He is very hard hitting and can also improve without derailing the song. Also, in Borknagar he shows he can play other stuff just as good (extreme metal with blastbeats).
Tom Hunting is a good thrash metal drummer who doesn't rely too much on double bass, which is cool, but I was never too impressed with his fills. B-league drummer IMO.

In the 2nd pair, I really have no experience with either of them, so again, will just decide based on the videos.
Barlow has a great last name. His drumming is cool on that song, but as a side note... man, everything else in that song is so annoying... I definitely can't get into Jethro Tull.
Mick Fleetwood on the other hand plays better music, but his drumming isn't as interesting.

Back