Best Album to work out to

Which Maiden album is the best to listen to down the gym?

• You are fat and don't exercise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Killers

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • TNOTB

• Piece of Mind

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Powerslave

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Somewhere in Time

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Seventh Son

• No Prayer

• Fear of the Dark

• The X Factor

• Virtual XI

• Brave New World

• Dance of Death

• AMOLAD

• You are fat and don't exercise

• Total voters
A not too serious poll here, but, if you workout, train, do sports etc which album provides the best soundtrack and why?? Mine would be Powerslave because the songs are all pretty fast paced and energetic and try sprinting along for 13 minutes to Rime of the Ancient Mariner!!!

I'm (not that) fat and rarely exercise, but when we do the cooper-test (12 min sprinting) during gym at school I run with be quick or be dead on repeat! It keeps me going..

I don't use Maiden that much in working out, since Maiden songs are often quite complex and I prefer simpler stuff like AC/DC or Priest, especially when running.  The early Maiden stuff is a lot better than the newer, for the same reason.  I'd probably say Live After Death is the best, if you skip a few like Revelations. 

But since you don't have LaD there, I'd have to say Powerslave.

Great question. I think SIT is totally the best for this.

I have to caveat that the first time that I listened to DoD was in the gym while deployed, SIT is still the most motivating work that IM has ever created. Yes... it is true......

I don't work out but if i did it would be to Somewhere in Time. I would also thoroughly enjoy it, and would be probably be pronounced clinically dead by the time Bruce sings "...died of fever in Babylon"  :ok:

Back in the Village said:
A not too serious poll here, but, if you workout, train, do sports etc which album provides the best soundtrack and why?? Mine would be Powerslave because the songs are all pretty fast paced and energetic and try sprinting along for 13 minutes to Rime of the Ancient Mariner!!!

I'll go with those who say Somewhere in Time. The songs are all energetic, quite a lot of fast stuff, and it has a song about running. (Yes, so has The Number of the Beast and Iron Maiden, but No Prayer doesn't. Run Silent Run Deep doesn't count).

But I don't listen to music while running or lifting weights. However, I like to hum or sing songs to myself if I'm running downwards (when running up a hill I don't have breath to do that, hehe). Once, when I realized I had a bit more than ten minutes of running back to my flat, I started humming Rime of the Ancient Mariner. When I reached the door I was at " ... the pilot's boat, his son and the hermit "  B)

Run to the Hills is a great run to run to - there's a steady build-up/jogging pace for the first minute/forty five seconds or so, then the fast, heavy bit starts and I can run all-out to it.

The Prisoner and, somewhat surprisingly, Still Life are also good for weight-lifting.

If you can run 2 miles while listening to "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" in its entirety, you are doing good.

1 mi ~ 1.61 km, so the answer is 3.22 km. And yes, running 3.22 km in 13:35 is quite OK. Not "top-level athletics" OK, but for someone just trying to keep their heart and lungs in an acceptable condition, it's not that bad.

(I'd say, 3000 m in anything less than 12 minutes is good. Personally I think I'd clock in at between 13 and 14 minutes now. Competition level runners are at just below 8 minutes, as far as I remember).

I finish my workout with a session on the treadmill. I alternate spints, jogging and walking with a 6% incline for 20 minutes and do about 3.3k.

I have a playlist on my ipod for my workouts which is predominantly Maiden - back in the village, wasted years, aces high, number of the beast.

Rather embarassingly I also have some questionable music on there. Cuddly Toy by Roachford, Old Time Rock n Roll by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, and a few songs off the "Rocky" soundtracks, Eye of the Tiger, Burning Heart, Hearts on Fire etc. Hey I know they aint masterpieces but they keep me going!!! :)

Deano said:
Miles are real distance. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :p

I can't reckon distance in miles.  Not unless I first reckon it in kms and then do the math.

I know, just busting chops.  :D  I really don't think the U.S. is really THAT far off from going totally metric.

Powerslave..Ahh.. great for Biceps
Aces High is good for Abs..

Mostly Powerslave but AMOLAD is also common for me during gym.

SIT. That whole album just makes you wanna run! hehe

...Run, on and on...

I voted for SIT too, i used to do cross country running, the 1500m and the 3000m when i was in school so the Loneliness of the Long Distance runner always rang a bell with me  :lol:

I would never combine something i love (Maiden) with something I hate (damn running and exercises). No, I`m not fat, but I`m still in school where I HAVE TO run and stuff.

Back