• the legacy

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • when the wild wind blows

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters
Gotta be Hallowed.
Maybe the vote should be for number 2.
I pick Wild Wind

Personally, I'm a fan of the Name of the Hallowed Mariner, all 20mins of it. Joking aside, Hallowed inches out in front of Rime but it is sooooo close!

Best album closer means Rime of the Ancient Mariner vs. Hallowed Be Thy Name I think.

I voted for my all-time favorite song, Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Most here are missing the thread's point - you have to analyse and say which song is best AS AN ALBUM CLOSER!!! Not your fave song among the ones in the poll.

I voted Rime of the Ancient Mariner. On Powerslave, I always feel that there are 3 sections: The opening 2 songs (Aces High and 2 Minutes) which were obviously made as singles (not that they scream "single", but the catchiness/epicness of their choruses just seem like they were always destined to be so.), the mid-section (Losfer Words, Flash of the Blade, Duellists and Back in the Village) which are all incredibly underrated songs with some sublime guitar work; and then the close- Powerslave which is epic as hell and really would have closed any other album perfectly, which then leads right into Rime. Now for me, after the epicness of Powerslave, Rime always feels like a bonus, like an end after the end- Powerslave's encore, if you will. After being blown away by Powerslave and thinking "this is a great album!" you now feel "Wow, this is an incredible album!". In my opinion anyhow.

No prizes for guessing my favourite album.  :lol:

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name
2. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
3. The Unbeliever/The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

Hallowed and rime are the better songs for the best part...
but as which functions best as an album closer i think it has to be the legacy.

not largely agreed i see  :lol:

If considering which songs end the respective albums best without judging them only as songs, then I'd say Alex, Only the Good Die Young, The Thin Line ("aww, I fucking missed it" :D), and The Legacy do a damn good job.  It's no coincidence that all of these albums are also great as albums instead of just being a collection of good songs (e.g. TNOTB).  Of these four, I'd say The Legacy is slightly better than the rest: an epic dark album deserves an epic, dark ending.

I chose Hallowed Be Thy Name, but could have just as easily went with Drifter, Thin Line Between Love and Hate, or The Legacy. All killer...

Back