Besides The Soundhouse Tapes, are there other demos?

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
I would love to hear demo versions of songs from albums that Bruce sang on. Does anyone know if any exist? If not, that would be so sweet if Maiden put out a CD of demo versions of various songs.

I don't know for sure about demos, but I do remember listening to a bootleg of Maiden's first ever concert with Bruce Dickinson (believe it was in Italy, October, 1981). Sound quality was not that great, but it was interesting none-the-less.

I know they had Bruce perform several songs as they were "auditioning" him, two that come to mind are Prowler and Wrathchild. I remember hearing the Wrathchild "audition" tape, because I remember Bruce ad-libbed the scream during the solo of the song, and it impressed Steve Harris. Or something like that.

In fact, here you go, I found it.

Nothing has surfaced. No unreleased, rare tracks or demos. At least they have granted us a lot of fun cover songs as B-sides as compensation ;)

The guys never did band demos but they use to record ideas individually. At least Janick, Steve and Adrian do and Adrian makes song demos. I am not sure if Bruce did any demo singing. He did during his solo career though. Accident of Birth and Taking the Queen come to mind.

Yeah. The closest thing to a Maiden demo would be some of those old Harris/Smith/Murray cassette tapes with their ideas on. Then we would be able to ponder "What if they had used this or that section for something in Maiden" etc.

Code:
THE KINGS OF THE TWILIGHT ZONE

CD 1:

Cambridge Spaceward Studios Demo
(30-Dec-78)
1. Iron Maiden 3:37
2. Invasion 2:52
3. Prowler 3:59
4. Strange World 4:58
5. Running Free 2:57
6. Transylvania 3:51

Metal For Muthas
(24-Oct-79)
7. Wrathchild 3:01

Top Of The Pops
(1980)
8. I've Got The Fire 2:45
9. Women In Uniform 3:06

Studio Demo
(1980)
10. Sanctuary 4:07

Bremen Beat Club, Germany
(29-Apr-81)
11. Innocent Exile 3:52

Bruce Audition Tape
(Oct-81)
12. Twilight Zone 2:30
13. Wrathchild 2:53
14. Killers 5:01

Rehearsal
(Oct-81)
15. Stairway To Heaven 1:49

Hammersmith, London
(20-Mar-82)
16. Murders In The Rue Morgue 3:18
17. Children Of The Damned 4:31
18. Total Eclipse 3:54
19. The Prisoner 4:56

UIC Pavilion, Chicago, Illinois
(30-Sept-83)
20. To Tame A Land 9:05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

77:11

CD 2:

Espace Ballard, Paris, France
(17-Nov-83)
1. Tush (ZZ Top) 4:18

Westfallenhalle, Dortmund, Germany
(17-Dec-83)
2. The Trooper 4:12
3. Revelations 6:19
4. Run To The Hills 4:31

Studio Demo
(1984)
5. Flash Of The Blade 4:02

Ex-Caserma Ravelli, Arma Di Taggia, Italy
(20-Aug-84)
6. Aces High 5:00
7. 2 Minutes To Midnight 5:54
8. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner 13:43
9. Powerslave 6:57

Maroszowy Sp., Katowice, Poland
(14-Aug-84)
10. Hallowed Be Thy Name 7:25

Demo
(Extended version, 1986)
11. Caught Somewhere In Time 12:42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

75:08

CD 3:

Monsters of Rock, Donington, U.K.
(20-Aug-88)
1. Moonchild 5:39

Stuttgart Schleyerhalle, Stuttgart, Germany
(4-Dec-90)
2. The Assassin 4:08
3. No Prayer For The Dying 5:30
4. Sanctuary (incl. "Freunde Schones Gotterfunken") 5:22

Brabanth., Den Bosch, Holland
(2-Sep-92)
5. Can I Play With Madness 3:37
6. Fear Of The Dark 6:57
7. The Clairvoyant 4:22
8. Heaven Can Wait 7:01

Stadth., Bremen, Germany
(16-Apr-93)
9. Be Quick Or Be Dead 4:21
10. The Number Of The Beast 4:49
11. Remember Tomorrow 6:30
12. Where Eagles Dare 4:34
13. From Here To Eternity 3:50
14. Wasting Love 5:50

Palasport, Padova, Italy
(29-Oct-81)
15. Purgatory 3:29

76:06

Thanks for that Zare! I would love to hear those FOTB and CSIT demos! Also for some albums, when they went into the studio, there surely must be some versions of songs that weren't the final versions.

What is this 12:42 version of CSIT ? Could someone tell us what's the difference ? I'm VERY curious about it. Thanks.

Thanks for that Zare! I would love to hear those FOTB and CSIT demos! Also for some albums, when they went into the studio, there surely must be some versions of songs that weren't the final versions.
These two are the only ones that sound like real demos (apart from The Soundhouse Tapes). But reading Coscmic's comment on CSIT, that doesn't sound like a demo, made by the band. Probably constructed by someone else. All others songs are live versions, auditions, rehearsals or had the purpose of release.

By the way, Maiden's first recordings were done on December 31st and not 30th, nor were Transylvania and Running Free part of the recorded material.

What I also find strange is the so called Sanctuary demo (1980). I am aware of a shorter version, released on Metal for Muthas. If that's the same, then I wouldn't call it a demo either, because it landed on a compilation album.
edit: It's probably from a 1979 demo. Does anyone have more info on this (second) Maiden demo?
Probably Running Free and Transylvania are from the same date, as are Iron Maiden and Wrathchild.

This track listing of KOTTZ bootleg was posted because the bootleg contains the best collection of "rare" stuff, be it either live or studio.

These two are the only ones that sound like real demos (apart from The Soundhouse Tapes). But reading Coscmic's comment on CSIT, that doesn't sound like a demo, made by the band. Probably constructed by someone else. All others songs are live versions, auditions, rehearsals or had the purpose of release.

Yes, I've been hunting this bootleg for a while, and CSiT / Flash Of The Blade demos were a real disappointment.
CSiT is parts of the song mixed together in a weird way. The original intro is played in a loop for three minutes, then first fast harmony riff comes in, then solo section, then first verse.
FOTB is same as album version, albeit with a different sound.

Neither contains new parts of music or variations. Tracks are rare, as studio demos, but aren't "valuable".

By the way, Maiden's first recordings were done on December 31st and not 30th, nor were Transylvania and Running Free part of the recorded material.

What I also find strange is the so called Sanctuary demo (1980). I am aware of a shorter version, released on Metal for Muthas. If that's the same, then I wouldn't call it a demo either, because it landed on a compilation album.
edit: It's probably from a 1979 demo. Does anyone have more info on this (second) Maiden demo?
Probably Running Free and Transylvania are from the same date, as are Iron Maiden and Wrathchild.

That date is probably a typo or something.

The sound of this 1978-1980 stuff on this bootleg is horrible, probably due to several vinyl transfers.
Sanctuary isn't from Metal For Muthas, it's different. Running Free was recorded in 1979 for compilation album called "Axe Attack", which came out in 1980. This particular recording of Transylvania is dated from 1979 with a note "Doug Sampson on drums", on other bootlegs. Perhaps it was also recorded on 31-Dec-1978. They weren't able to purchase master tapes, no chance for re-recording various parts again, so they released songs which they deemed satisfactory on Soundhouse Tapes.

There's another early pro bootleg, dated 14th of November 1979 (five days after the release of Soundhouse Tapes), FM broadcast from BBC radio. Really good quality, Iron Maiden, Running Free, Transylvania, Sanctuary.
I agree there must be some additional demos which band took in 1979/1980.

I've seen Hallowed Be Thy Name recording from December 1981, played on a soundcheck, listed on some bootleg compilations.
Also a song by Nicko called "McBrain Damage", dated from early '90s, probably same era as Rhythm of The Beast stuff.

Thanks for the additional info, Zare. Actually, that description of CSIT still sounds interesting.

I am pretty sure they only recorded four songs that 1978 date, of which 3 landed on the Soundhouse Tapes.

There's another early pro bootleg, dated 14th of November 1979 (five days after the release of Soundhouse Tapes), FM broadcast from BBC radio. Really good quality, Iron Maiden, Running Free, Transylvania, Sanctuary.
Are all these songs we're talking about, including
The sound of this 1978-1980 stuff on this bootleg is horrible, probably due to several vinyl transfers.
Sanctuary isn't from Metal For Muthas, it's different. Running Free was recorded in 1979 for compilation album called "Axe Attack", which came out in 1980. This particular recording of Transylvania is dated from 1979 with a note "Doug Sampson on drums", on other bootlegs.

the same ones as these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_BBC_Archives_(Iron_Maiden)
You can check if the solos in Transylania sound exactly the same, e.g. :)

Excluding. Song labeled as Sanctuary (1980) demo on Kings Of... bootleg isn't from BBC radio sessions (eg. not the song on BBC archives). As I've said, that track was recorded for a compilation album.

Just uploaded CSiT "demo";

This Hallowed be thy Name 'rehearsal' seems like a live faked to look like rehearsal.. I don't buy those things, even when they are 'officially' approved & released like this Harris' diary, time ago. The 'remember to tell Paul' entry, got me literally LOLed !! Ridiculous.

But again, it's like Santa Claus, no reason to argue with somebody who believes.
Speaking of which, I heard that in Canada somebody got arrested because he was telling to children that Santa Claus does not exist, what a crucible of man :D

Back