Band tensions resurfacing?

deslock

Invader
Smith and Dickison made some comments during the Mission Debriefing documentary indicating tension during the writing/recording (my impression/fear is that it was primarily between Smith and Harris).  Smith (and everyone) emphasized the positive, and perhaps I'm reading too much into it... it could just be that they were being brutally honest.  But that Harris gave props to Smith for contributing so much to the song writing struck me as odd as I don't recall Harris doing that before.  It could be that he was being genuinely appreciative, or perhaps Harris was trying to make amends for some bad feelings. 

Hopefully I'm imaging things because even though most of the Smith penned songs didn't impress me this time out, he's an important contributor and I'd hate to see him quit again.

I took it as they're more mature and more able to deal with these decisions and situations now, whereas what's now a heated discussion, would've been a serious argument in the past.

Also, you're insane. Isle of Avalon is definitely my favorite song on the album, Starblind is fantastic, and the first four tracks are solid. What more do you want from H? I feel like he brought more to the table than anyone else this time, personally.

I'm sure that this far along in their career, any fights or "tensions" that may occur among the band members are easily brushed off, and end up being rather petty issues to begin with.

HallowedBeMyName said:
I'm sure that this far along in their career, any fights or "tensions" that may occur among the band members are easily brushed off, and end up being rather petty issues to begin with.

That's the entire vibe I've been getting from the mission edition extras, and all of their press appearances.

I don't know why we should worry. There are always tensions in a band, especially when it comes to songwriting. Tensions are good because they fuel the creative fire. Tensions do not equal ego clashes, and that's where it becomes dangerous.

To clarify, I'm not really worried about it and my hope is that it's just them being more comfortable talking about this stuff openly as they age.  But I was curious if other fans found it slightly disconcerting like I did.

Cap Maronis said:
Also, you're insane. Isle of Avalon is definitely my favorite song on the album, Starblind is fantastic, and the first four tracks are solid.

To each his own.  IMO the first 3 tracks are mediocre (worthwhile, but nothing special) and the 4th is skippable.  I agree that Isle of Avalon and Starblind are excellent (along with tracks 8-10), but the fact remains that 4 out of 6 songs (on which he's listed as primary songwriter) don't impress me.  Harris also got credit on those tracks (and Dickinson on one of them), so I'm not putting it all on Smith, but the tracks I like less this time out remind me more of Smith's solo stuff and less of 1990s Maiden.  Maybe I'm judging prematurely, but since tracks 1-4 are the simpler ones on the album, I'm not optimistic that they'll grow on me.

Cap Maronis said:
What more do you want from H?

Nothing.  As I wrote, he's an important contributor.  Just because I'm not impressed by most of the songs on which he's listed as primary songwriter doesn't mean I don't think he's critical to the band.

Cap Maronis said:
I feel like he brought more to the table than anyone else this time, personally.

I agree... from comments made by the guys, the implication is that for most of the album, Harris has been helping shape ideas that others bring to the table into the songs.  I'm guessing that was true for AMOLAD too.

Well if there is "tension" I hope they keep it because TFF is a hell of a record. But seriously, they're in the twilight of their career and there is no way in hell the "old issues" are relevant today. Also having seen them live recently Bruce and Steve seemed very happy in each other's company, an obvious good vibe on stage....like the opposite of the real live tour ;) Relax.

Back