Band members position on religion and war.

Heheh Nicko said that he have no problem PLAYIN' drums for this kind of band and Eddie "the beast",it's music,but he also respects Steve and Bruce atheism.You have on youtube a matter of life and death behind the scene watch it,Steve Harris explains song for the greater good of god and he said that he don't want to be in any religion organization.

BruceBruceSRB said:
Heheh Nicko said that he have no problem PLAYIN' drums for this kind of band and Eddie "the beast",it's music,but he also respects Steve and Bruce atheism.You have on youtube a matter of life and death behind the scene watch it,Steve Harris explains song for the greater good of god and he said that he don't want to be in any religion organization.

This kind of band? What do you mean? Maiden are a heavy metal band. Is there any reason why that in itself should be a problem for a new-born Christian? Regarding Eddie, 666, "the beast" and so on - we know it's theater and Nicko knows it's theater.

And of course Nicko and the others respect the religious views of the others. These guys are friends and colleagues. Friends can disagree with each other on many things.

As for "not wanting to be in a religious organization" - that doesn't make one an atheist, does it? You can believe in a religion without being member of a church. Hell, you can even be member of a church and not believe in the religion  :D

BruceBruceSRB said:
AND MOST IMPORTANT THING ON THIS TOPIC IS = THAT THIS IS THEIR PRIVATE THING AND I THINK THAT THIS THEME IS UNNECESSARY !!!!  They are here to make music for us and we must respect their privacy....
If the band members wish to share their beliefs in interviews etc. then I think it's fair that that can be discussed. Speculating about what they believe (or don't believe) in is one thing (especially if you derive such thoughts from their lyrics), but to state that Nicko is a born-again is fine as it is something he has shared with us fans.
finalfrontier said:
If Starblind is about hardcore atheism, I'm suprises that Nicko would play on the track because it may sounds very offensive too him. Doesn't matter to me because it is still such an amazing epic masterpiece and I would treat the song just like a Slayer song (my 2nd fav. band).
It's worth noting that To Araya has always stated his religious beliefs and he is still willing to sing stuff of a very strong nature that other Christians would possibly refuse to. And does Bruce actually idolize Crowley, or just simply have an interest in him?

Eddies Wingman said:
This kind of band? What do you mean? Maiden are a heavy metal band. Is there any reason why that in itself should be a problem for a new-born Christian? Regarding Eddie, 666, "the beast" and so on - we know it's theater and Nicko knows it's theater.

And of course Nicko and the others respect the religious views of the others. These guys are friends and colleagues. Friends can disagree with each other on many things.

As for "not wanting to be in a religious organization" - that doesn't make one an atheist, does it? You can believe in a religion without being member of a church. Hell, you can even be member of a church and not believe in the religion  :D

Or maybe deism ? I mean if you don't believe in a religion that doesn't mean you're an atheist, you can believe in god without believing in a religion.

Eddies Wingman said:

As for "not wanting to be in a religious organization" - that doesn't make one an atheist, does it? You can believe in a religion without being member of a church. Hell, you can even be member of a church and not believe in the religion  :D

That's what i was thought HEAVY METAL band with there own vision about world and everythig,Steve and Bruce are atheist and you must deal with it If you are Christian don't try to connect Maiden with your religion pls,if they believe in ENERGY or Metaphysics that sure is not GOD,that is what we can call GOD.

And for other guy who asked why we shouldnt discuss about this,because except Nicko did you find any interview about Maiden and religion?NO.Because it's a personal question and leave the guys alone,if you have a piece of paper of any interview post it here and we will discuss that piece of paper.That is my vision about this situation.

I'm not rude, just sayin' :D I understand what you want to say, but this is just a discussion, it's not that someone is criticising them.

And personal messages are also allowed here ;)

Night Prowler said:
I'm not rude, just sayin' :D I understand what you want to say, but this is just a discussion, it's not that someone is criticising them.

And personal messages are also allowed here ;)

Now i understand some things... :shred:

finalfrontier said:
Can someone please give me the link to the article where Bruce says he is athiest.
No link but I am holding the magazine in my hand. It's in Swedish.

To summarize:

Bruce says he doesn't believe in afterlife, that the purpose of man is to just exist and that he believes that we humans have evil in our core, because we are capable of really evil and vile deeds.
Bruce said he isn't a "religious man" and he doesn't understand how anyone can think religion has any credibility today. He thinks the power of religion is fascinating, because it can make people gladly kill themselves. He is fascinated by how religion affects the human mind.

And he says that he has a philosophy of life, but it doesn't include anything divine.

Sounds fairly atheist to me.

Yax said:
No link but I am holding the magazine in my hand. It's in Swedish.

To summarize:

Bruce says he doesn't believe in afterlife, that the purpose of man is to just exist and that he believes that we humans have evil in our core, because we are capable of really evil and vile deeds.
Bruce said he isn't a "religious man" and he doesn't understand how anyone can think religion has any credibility today. He thinks the power of religion is fascinating, because it can make people gladly kill themselves. He is fascinated by how religion affects the human mind.

And he says that he has a philosophy of life, but it doesn't include anything divine.

Sounds fairly atheist to me.

i'm impressed!!!!!
KING !!!!!  :edmetal: :edmetal: :edmetal:

BruceBruceSRB said:
That's what i was thought HEAVY METAL band with there own vision about world and everythig,Steve and Bruce are atheist and you must deal with it If you are Christian don't try to connect Maiden with your religion pls,if they believe in ENERGY or Metaphysics that sure is not GOD,that is what we can call GOD.

No need to go personal here.

The fact that Maiden are a heavy metal band says what their music sounds like, not what the individual members of the band think. Nicko has his beliefs, Steve has his, Bruce has his and so on. Neither of those beliefs define Maiden.

My point was - why should Nicko have a problem with being in a heavy metal band after he became a Christian? The band as such is definitely not anti-Christian (nor are they particularly pro-Christian either). The band's lyrics span wider than most other bands. That's why Maiden, maybe more than any other heavy metal band, seems to unite so many different kinds of people. The music is great, but the lyrics also offer something to everyone.

Maiden have their own codex and that's why they so original and UNIC.We agree in the most of the things but we don't understund each other maybe because of the internet throlling  :cheers:

One of the reasons I like Maiden so much is that (for the most part) they do not hammer beliefs into songs.  Their songs (again for the most part) tell stories and from those stories the listener can make their own interpretaion and with so many of their songs being different stories on central themes (the same themes man struggles with .. when to fight, is there an afterlife/why are we here?), they do make you think. 

I am sure the band members and lsiteners have found different nuances on these beleifs over the years, which generally makes sense as you grow older.  To me, there is nothing more boring than a song that flat out says "There is no God or God is great" (replace God with anything, war political systems, etc). 

In part, this is why Maidens best songs IMO do not deal directly with current events, but allow the listener to try to extrapolate past events to the present.

With that said, I really do not care what Bruce,Nikko, Steve,Adrian, Janick, or Dave personally believe ... I should not need to know that to examine the songs.

Thanks for the summery and what about Adrian Smith? In the Wasted Years video there was a giant jesus statue if that means anything.

finalfrontier said:
Thanks for the summery and what about Adrian Smith? In the Wasted Years video there was a giant jesus statue if that means anything.
There is a giant Jesus statue in Rock in Rio too...

Batman said:
There is a giant Jesus statue in Rock in Rio too...

It seems to pretty much be a law that when you film something in Rio, you need the statue to be in the film ... It seems to be like the Statue of Liberty in New York.  Putting aside any feelings about God/Jesus .. it is a very photogenic statue.

Back