Back in the Village

How good is Back in the Village on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I almost loves this one, so many good parts and I totally love the main guitar riff. But somehow it doesn't really get it all together and ends up a good but not great track. Shame on such potential.

The "filler" tracks on Powerslave are all perfect, but this is the best of the bunch. I wish they played it live. 10/10.

A pretty amazing run of uptempo lead work breaks into an excellent riff that supports a strong verse and a better, tension-building pre-chorus. This unfortunately breaks into a disappointingly blah and repetitive chorus.

Another round of verse through ho-hum chorus, and some amazing guitar gymnastics break into a bouncy harmonized section punctuated by an excellent solo, then a melodic lead section punctuated by a brief but great solo.

Another round of verse through chorus leads into a great bridge before falling back into the "meh" chorus and ending on a really awkward fast-paced vocal outro.

This is a mostly superb song that's ultimately brought down by a really weak chorus and outro. It's a shame, because those weaknesses knock it all the way down to an 8/10.

The worst song with lyrics on the album. Just like FOTB, this song has really nice guitar work, but nothing more really. 7

Yet another great fiery riff opens this song before Bruce lays down a shining example of his vocal talents for us - this song is rife with them. Great instrumental section, great music - this song is simple but so effective. Some sequels are worse than the original, but this return to The Prisoner tale is heads and feet above its predecessor. 10

I like the tempo of the song (one of the fastest Maiden songs). The verses are great, but the chorus is meh. Good harmonies. I like the two screams. If it wasn't for this chorus, my rating would have been higher. I still like the song though. 7/10

Adrian plays the intro of ''Back In The Village'' in his studio. I thought it would be nice to share it here.

... this is probably as live as we will ever get from this song.

This thematic sequel to “The Prisoner” opens with a classic Adrian Smith riff, and is pure fire from thereon out. Bruce constantly tries to one up himself, the rest of the band is just glorious, and what else is there to say? This whole album is amazing! 10/10

Flash Of The Blade's bizarre twin, where a lot of my issues with the former are present in this one as well. Starts out with a blistering guitar riff, which is arguably one of the hardest in their entire catalogue. The verses are great, the instrumental section (just like all of them on the rest of the album) fantastic.

Then comes the chorus though. It's not as bad as FOTB, but it's still not as good as it should've been considering the rest of the song. The bridge towards the end is annoying. Little details all over the song that drag it down. A 6.

Back