Artificial-Intelligence-Generated Music Discussion

Cornfed Hick

Ancient Mariner
A thread about AI-generated music. More for discussion/debate/commentary, rather than a "post-your-own-AI-music" thread (if you could manage that). At least that's the intent. Thought about posting this in the "Fictional albums or bands" thread, but this is more specific.

First video is an AI modification of Eric Clapton's voice to sound pretty darn close to Paul McCartney. Second video is supposedly a fully-AI-generated song, performance, and video...featuring orcs.

This is freaky. I don't like it, but I think Pandora's box has been opened and there isn't any going back. Get off my lawn.

Last edited:
This all is so f* up. In the future, AI led bands will dominate and money will go to mega corporations. There will be zero chance for small real people band to become big, because they will have not enough listeners. People's attention will be dispersed through vast AI music variations. In others words, we all will have our own AI bands (personalised AI spotify) that will be interesting just for every one of us. All divided, all conquered. Something like Ready Player One.

It is very f*ed up. Precisely because it's...well...fun? People will do this.

I'm sure many of you have tried something like this already, but here is a ChatGPT query/response I literally just ran a moment ago.

Me: Generate lyrics in the style of Iron Maiden for a song about the Haitian Revolution [Note: my daughter just took a history exam with a question on this conflict, which I know absolutely nothing about]

ChatGPT:
(Verse 1)
On the island of rebellion, where freedom's cry arose,
A tale of fire and vengeance, where tyranny was opposed.
In the land of Saint-Domingue, a revolution would ignite,
Haitian spirits awoken, their will to stand and fight.

(Pre-Chorus)
Through the chains of oppression, their souls refused to break,
United in their purpose, a destiny to make.
With Toussaint as their leader, a beacon in the night,
They marched with fierce defiance, for liberty's sacred right.

(Chorus)
Revolution's fury, the echoes of the past,
Haitian hearts ablaze, freedom's die is cast.
Warrior souls arise, in battles we unite,
For the Haitian Revolution, we shall stand and fight!

(Verse 2)
From sugar fields to plantations, their shackles torn apart,
The blood of revolution flowing, igniting a brand new start.
Dessalines and Christophe, valiant heroes of their land,
Leading armies of the oppressed, a mighty force to withstand.

(Bridge)
In the fortress of La Crête, the French would meet their fate,
Defiance burning brightly, the oppressed they would liberate.
Through blood-soaked battles fought, they carved a new decree,
An independent nation, where all could be truly free.

(Chorus)
Revolution's fury, the echoes of the past,
Haitian hearts ablaze, freedom's die is cast.
Warrior souls arise, in battles we unite,
For the Haitian Revolution, we shall stand and fight!

(Guitar Solo)

(Verse 3)
With the dawn of a new era, a nation born anew,
Haitian Revolution, a testament to what we do.
In the annals of history, your story shall endure,
A beacon of inspiration, for the oppressed and unsure.

(Outro)
Oh, Haiti, land of valor, your spirit forever strong,
May your legacy live on, in the echoes of this song.
For the Haitian Revolution, we raise our voices high,
In the name of liberation, we'll never say goodbye!

It's a little cheesier than Iron Maiden's typical lyrics. But it's not too far off. Note that the song is rather long. Appropriate.

Sabaton song with Steve Harris length. But yes, look at the writer's strike. This stuff is coming and there's a portion of lazy folk out there who are going to treat it as legitimate as anything else.

As with many things, it will be used for both good and evil. The prospect of conjuring up an alternate version of the Iron Maiden catalog with Di'anno and Stratton still in the band instead of Dickinson / Smith / Gers, or what-iffing the Blaze-era lineup throughout the band's history, or just pitch-correcting Blaze's vocals and punching up Steve's awful self-production on the two Blaze albums, would all be interesting exercises. Same with keeping Mustaine in Metallica instead of bringing in Hammett. Or having someone's original music be performed by an AI supergroup of existing musicians just for the hell of it.

Rights management for the artists being spoofed by AI is going to be a huge legal headache, and they'll probably get screwed for at least a decade before anything is done about it. And we'll of course speed downhill toward a lowest-common-denominator corporatized musical hellscape where AI generates everything based on moment-to-moment engagement and every pop song sounds even more alike than before. We'll get deepfaked "unreleased" songs where famous singers are singing horribly racist things, or deepfaked candid studio recordings where a guitarist is explicitly ripping off some other person's riff and only slightly changing it for their own big song, revealing a fake smoking gun.

Par for the course, really. Look for an eventual move toward encrypted digital watermarking of all audio and video recordings from the original source devices to prove a chain of trust from creator to consumer, both for creative content and journalistic content.

Well, that didn't last long.
About month ago, there was a song "Heart on My Sleeve" which used AI made Drake and The Weeknd vocals. Problem? It started charting high and generate money. So they removed it. There will be cases like this but less and less.
This stuff is coming and there's a portion of lazy folk out there who are going to treat it as legitimate as anything else.
I don't see anything wrong with this. People consume art in different ways and there is and there will be a group of people who are like "give me song/movie/book that I can enjoy" without wanting to know how it's made or who made it. And it's actually been going for a long time now, with sampling. For example, I just recently found out that "One More Time" by Daft Punk was completely sampled. We can argue that the French duo did a great job of sampling, but still, I don't think AI just makes songs on it its own. You have to give it some input.
This all is so f* up. In the future, AI led bands will dominate and money will go to mega corporations. There will be zero chance for small real people band to become big, because they will have not enough listeners.
That already happened with streaming and illegal download some 20 years ago. But it won't led to the scenario you mentioned. People adapted and people will adapt. For example, I remember being in Elementary school, a book/guide came out that had summaries, main characters and author biographies of all the books that we had to read in school. There was a huge uproar that children won't read and everybody will use this book/guide. And every kid did - until teachers also stared lending this book/guide. Some 25 years later, my colleagues say they can automatically identify which student used a guide and which student wrote in his own words.

And another personal experience. Few months ago I benefited from AI. There was a contest where my friend used AI and I enrolled his AI answer with his details into the contest. And he won. To be honest, everybody found it hilarious just me and one person found it extremely sad. But! I can bet my ass this same scenario won't happen in a year or two. Take Azas' thread for example. After some time you can see the "template" on which AI operates it will be easy to differentiate AI made picture from human made picture.

AI will ruin all things cultural if this becomes very popular. I understand it’s fun to hear Arnold singing Singing’ in the rain, but I hope future generations will continue to be creative themself. Having two creative kids myself, hoping they will never use AI to create art, drawings, music and so on :lol:

I can't help feeling that AI just can't create metal as generic sounding as the likes of Angus McSix. ;)

Yeah, imagine that, when you completely outsource the methodology to the machine and have no way to directly check its decisionmaking process, it winds up behaving unethically. Color me surprised.

Seriously, if you described machine learning to a layperson as just telling the machine “I don’t care how you get these results, just make it happen”, I think it would be much easier for them to grasp the ethical quandaries this stuff is going to create. And the problem can never be fixed 100%, because the decisionmaking process of the machine is effectively opaque, so you can never prove it will act safely or fairly in every case, even if you try to sanitize its inputs and outputs. See how easy it is to get around ChatGPT’s content filters for an easy example.

Machine learning should only ever make decisions for low-stakes issues where no one gets hurt when it gets things wrong, but of course there’s an army of moronic entrepreneurs who are going to try to use it for literally everything it shouldn’t be used for. Gird your loins for what comes next…

Back