Armored Saint

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
Not really a favorite band of mine, but I did just listen to their new album "Win Hands Down" on Spotify, really solid record. Only song I did not care for was Muscle Memory, which was still at least an okay song

Worth checking out and I may need to look at some of their more recent stuff myself

I absolutely love Armored Saint. The band was one of my major influences growing up. John Bush's voice has always been one of my favorites, he's probably the most soulful dude in metal. Plus, the twin guitar attack is one of the best I've heard outside of Maiden. Plus, heavy bass and drum leadership!

Because I love them, I now give you some select tracks (in spoiler tags because loading time):

Not really a favorite band of mine, but I did just listen to their new album "Win Hands Down" on Spotify, really solid record. Only song I did not care for was Muscle Memory, which was still at least an okay song

Worth checking out and I may need to look at some of their more recent stuff myself

If you like Win Hands Down, check out La Raza. Those two records share a similar vibe. Honestly, I find the music on Win Hands Down to be absolutely stunning, best they've done since Symbol of Salvation. But the lyrics...I just can't get behind John's writing style anymore. There are some truly cringeworthy lines.

Memory Muscle seemed to be the most cringeworthy to me on this album (but I have only really listened to it twice and have not given the lyrics much attention yet)

Thanks though, I will give La Raza a try next. I saw them on one of their early tours, when they still looked kind of Man-o-War-ish and was not really that impressed and never really gave them a second chance until now

Memory Muscle seemed to be the most cringeworthy to me on this album (but I have only really listened to it twice and have not given the lyrics much attention yet)

Thanks though, I will give La Raza a try next. I saw them on one of their early tours, when they still looked kind of Man-o-War-ish and was not really that impressed and never really gave them a second chance until now

If you like these new albums, then the old ones should really grab your attention. The only album that really feels lame and cheesy (to match their old knight costumes) was the first one, March of the Saint. I highly recommend you give Symbol of Salvation, Delirious Nomad, and Revelation a listen, whether you like La Raza or not. The last two Saint albums, though still obviously the same band, have a very different feel to them.

Also, just to add: they are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Other than Sabaton, they are the most genuine live musicians I've ever seen, they truly seem to enjoy every song of every gig. Actually, on second thought, they don't go to the showy lengths that Sabaton does as far as preplanning comedy bits and everything, so they might actually be the most genuine I've ever seen.

Finally saw Armored Saint live last night (for the first time) open for Queensryche. God John Bush is great live. Seen him many times with Anthrax, but he is really a cool guy who gives his all on stage and has a great attitude. Before taking the stage, "Delivering the Goods" by Priest played over the PA, and we could see the Saint guys off stage moving to the song to get fired up (jumping jacks, head banging, etc). John pointed out that this was the first time Saint had played Houston in 15 years!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/armored-saint/2016/scout-bar-houston-tx-5bfa4b10.html

Last edited:
There is NO announcement on this yet, but I saw a Facebook event pop up in my feed and immediately bought tickets for Chicago!

28378943_10160340604150227_4634410442001164072_n.jpg

ALL OF SYMBOL OF SALVATION!!!!!!!

I can't wait for this show! Symbol of Salvation is easily one of my favorite metal albums of all time; there is no weak track. Weak lyrics? Of course; this is Armored Saint (see Tribal Dance for some examples). This was one of the first metal bands I heard where the rhythm section actually syncs up with each other; most metal bands' bass lines just follow the guitars.

Back