Another year. Another Grammy Nomination

Yeah. I was about to say how it sucks (mixed this band up with some metalcore crap), but it's actually pretty good. Not as good as Blood Brothers ofc.

Memorable? Yeh, it is --in the sense that the lyrics/melody are memorable. The only problem is: BNW was 13 years ago.

Basically, I just don't think it's particularly good, in comparison to other Maiden tracks. For me it's another "live favourite" & (as Forostar mentioned earlier) seems to overshadow far better Maiden efforts. That besides (as I said) this is 2013. If 2012/En Vivo! is the focus then why not something from it that's slightly newer. TFF was a #1 album all over the world. Why not the En Vivo! version of The Talisman? I just don't understand the rationale behind the choice. It's neither new (in the sense that the track itself is not recent) or (in my opinion) a shining example of Maiden's music/style.

You know, I was racking my brains for another choice from En Vivo and thought about Talisman too. To me it smacks of a solid performance that stretches the full band

Indeed. My point was (again Forostar suggests this too) --if you're going to pick anything off of EnVivo! (just because it's 2012), regardless of the age of the track itself, you could just as easily pick something far older; a "classic" even, like 2 Minutes. Personally, I'd have thrown either The Talisman or When The Wild Wind Blows in there --both well performed; both new Maiden. And the focus of the award should surely have been just that: here is Maiden now! Maiden are all about live, so an En Vivo! track was always a great shout; additionally it should have been something fairly recent too. Hence the two suggestions above, & not Blood Brothers, which is too old.

I get your point about the choice for the grammy contest. But I don't care the least about this silly thing, so I was considering the song quality in itself. Anyway, tastes differ...

The reason, I think, that they did Blood Brothers is because that was one of the songs that the band released in advance of the release of En Vivo! on YouTube, along with The Wicker Man, making it a "single." So just the way they do the awards, it was going to be one of those two. It's not the people giving the awards who are at fault for that choice, it's the band for putting that song as a single. Though I doubt anyone in the Maiden organization or any of the fans truly care about getting that award.

Keep in mind that we're talking here about a mainstream music industry where, generally, the single is the strongest song from an album of other songs that are similar in style and in length. To many of these people, the idea that a single may be totally uncharacteristic of the album as a whole and chosen merely because it is the most accessible or shortest song, or that there are songs universally considered stronger than the singles on an album, is completely foreign.

Back