Another pointless thread until we get real news : what two-album gap is the most impressive, stylistically speaking?

Black Bart

Ancient Mariner
As far as I'm concerned, I can think of the leap between Piece of Mind and Killers. I'm quite sure somebody who doesn't know Maiden much wouldn't believe right away that it is the same band.
Runner-up couple: Seventh Son and Fear of the Dark.
Your thoughts?

No Prayer for the DyingThe X Factor
1. Songs are generally shorter.
  • Longest song: 5:30.
  • Shortest song: 3:47.
  • Average song length: 4:22.
2. The album as a whole is short and to the point, with a runtime of 43:42, enough to fit on a single two-sided record.

3. The production is less polished than previously albums, but still with an unmistakable metal sound.
  • Martin Birch still has a hand in the production. The album still sounds tight.
4. Bruce's soaring tenor vocals are present, with some rough and raw rasp added to his iconic sound.

5. The songs are generally less thought-provoking and more lighthearted lyrically. Subject matter includes war history, modern day issues, and sex.
1. Songs are generally longer.
  • Longest song: 11:16.
  • Shortest song: 4:10.
  • Average song length: 6:27.
2. The album as a whole is longer and more drawn out, with a runtime of 70:54, too long to fit on a single record.

3. The least metal-sounding album up to this point in their career, placing higher emphasis on melodies and rhythm than aggression.
  • Steve goes it on its own. There are several blunders he makes, particularly in the guitar sound.
4. Blaze steps in with a much lower and less expansive baritone in a jarring contrast to the band's former singer.

5. The songs are generally much more though-provoking, placing a heavy emphasis on darkness and depression. Subject matter includes literature, life, death, war, and trauma.

As far as I'm concerned, I can think of the leap between Piece of Mind and Killers. I'm quite sure somebody who doesn't know Maiden much wouldn't believe right away that it is the same band.
Runner-up couple: Seventh Son and Fear of the Dark.
Your thoughts?
Impressive plummets in both cases, yes.
On a positive note, POM to SIT.

The X Factor and Brave New World. Adding Bruce and Adrian makes a BIG difference.

For much the same reason, you could also go with the debut to Number of the Beast. But the upgrade from Di'Anno to Bruce is not as huge as the upgrade from Blaze to Bruce.

The obvious choices have already been mentioned, but Somewhere In Time to No Prayer For The Dying was also a pretty big stylistic swing, pushing in nearly opposite directions with a very similar lineup.

Back