Another nail in the coffin of the human race.

Kynisk Sokol

Ancient Mariner
http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=qw1163031483234R131

OK 2 use SMS lingo in exams

November 09 2006 at 02:22AM

Wellington - New Zealand high school students will be allowed to use text-speak - the second language teenagers have developed for cellphone messages - in exams, according to news reports on Thursday.

The move has divided students and educators amid concerns that it could damage the English language, The Press in Christchurch reported.

It said that the New Zealand Qualifications Authority was still encouraging students to use proper English in exam papers but would give credit if an answer written in text-speak "clearly shows the required understanding".

Deputy chief executive Bali Haque told the paper that in English examinations, where candidates were specifically required to demonstrate proper use of language, text abbreviations would be penalised.

Teachers' spokesperson Debbie Te Whaiti said that the move reflected the situation in the classroom, where teachers were grappling every day with the use of text-speak.

One Christchurch school principal, Denis Pyatt, said that he would not encourage students to use text abbreviations in exams, but added: "I think text messaging is one of the most exciting things that has happened in a long time.

"It is another development in that wonderful thing we call the English language."

But another teacher, Stephen Rout, said: "Students need to be able to write and understand full English."

Wellington's Dominion Post gave the following examples of text speak in school papers: "We shal fite dem on d beaches" (Sir Winston Churchill) and "2b or nt 2b" (Shakespeare's Hamlet). - Sapa-dpa

Isn't the world such a sad and fascinating place? I think so.

LooseCannon said:
Winston and Sir Francis Bacon are rolling in their graves.

So you're one of those who believe Shakespeare's plays were written by Sir Francis Bacon?
Interesting.

This is the bit that I found quite amusing:

One Christchurch school principal, Denis Pyatt, said that he would not encourage students to use text abbreviations in exams, but added: "I think text messaging is one of the most exciting things that has happened in a long time.

"It is another development in that wonderful thing we call the English language."

There is no way a (supposedly) educated person would say something like that. Would they?

The whole point of text speak is that it saves time and space when you have to trawl through every single letter on your keypad.  Is it really that difficult to write several letters more on an exam?  After all, let's look at the examples given:

'We shall fight them on the beaches'
'We shal fite dem on d beaches'

Wow, you save 6 whole letters.  Which is really going to help you in the exam.

So, who's up for emigrating to the moon?

I think it's sad that they have misquoted Churchill.  As anyone with a copy of Live After Death knows, Churchill did not say, "We shall fight them on the beaches."  He said, "We shall fight on the beaches."  Kids today are fucking stupid and lazy, and this shows it.

LooseCannon said:
I think it's sad that they have misquoted Churchill.  As anyone with a copy of Live After Death knows, Churchill did not say, "We shall fight them on the beaches."  He said, "We shall fight on the beaches."  Kids today are fucking stupid and lazy, and this shows it.
Come on LC,  it doesn't make such a difference.  They're kids.  Not knowing the "exact" speech isn't what makes them lazy and stupid.  Using text language in exams is...  Besides,  what's the point in saving letters?  The whole idea is to have a text that looks big and has good content.  It's what teachers want :p

LooseCannon said:
Kids today are fucking stupid and lazy, and this shows it.

This might be so (wow, I'm penalizing myself here) but I think the question we need to ask ourselves here is why. I mean, kids don't become stupid and lazy just because of their genetic inheritance. It's decisions like these (the text-speak thing) by the parental generation in my opinion that have largely contributed to the decadence of the younger generations. Teachers and the like have the power to implement strict rules. It's about time they start doing so.

Albie said:
This is the bit that I found quite amusing:

There is no way a (supposedly) educated person would say something like that. Would they?

If this is the most exciting and wonderful thing to happen in recent times, then we're heading for the void, non? All those years developing a fine language only for it to raped of its essence, coherence and beauty. Deary me, what happened?

Raven said:
So, who's up for emigrating to the moon?

At this state, it's not such a bad idea, especially since...

OMGOMGOMGHAILSAYTINIHAVE666POSTSNOWICANHAILTHEINVERTEDMOONGOAT'SBLOODWITHTHEALMIGHTY666POSTSOFDAATH!>:[

The necroclassic is back! >:[

Fellow forum members, I apologise for my deviance into madness, for such a special event calls for celebration. I hope you can find it in your blackened hearts to forgive me since I wuv you all so much. <3

Black Dragon said:
If this is the most exciting and wonderful thing to happen in recent times, then we're heading for the void, non? All those years developing a fine language only for it to raped of its essence, coherence and beauty. Deary me, what happened?

My generation got born.  The 'Iwanteverythingasquicklyaspossible(eventotheextentofnotusinghyphensinspeedtalk' generation.  'Literature?  History?  Fuck that shit.  I want everything handed to me on a silver platter.  And society had better be ready to pick up the pieces after I'm finished with it.'

OMGOMGOMGHAILSAYTINIHAVE666POSTSNOWICANHAILTHEINVERTEDMOONGOAT'SBLOODWITHTHEALMIGHTY666POSTSOFDAATH!>:[

The necroclassic is back! >:[

Fellow forum members, I apologise for my deviance into madness, for such a special event calls for celebration. I hope you can find it in your blackened hearts to forgive me since I wuv you all so much. <3

Congratulations, Blackie.  Now you just need to post only in the madness forum, and your unholy sanctity will be preserved for all to see.

Raven said:
My generation got born.  The 'Iwanteverythingasquicklyaspossible(eventotheextentofnotusinghyphensinspeedtalk' generation.  'Literature?  History?  Fuck that shit.  I want everything handed to me on a silver platter.  And society had better be ready to pick up the pieces after I'm finished with it.'

This is so true. Unfortunately. :mad:

Its really unbelievable how some traditions died out.. Especially this, since when do we need to rush just to spell some stuff?
It doesn't hurt to take things at your own pace, saving some words just don't cut it.

Back