An album with demos, rejected material, etc.

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
That would be sweet if Maiden would release an album with demos, stuff that Steve rejected and didn't make it to the final album and any other interesting material they could come up with.

I'd love this!  A box set or just a ton of individual releases would do!  All rare and unreleased Iron Maiden!  :yey:

a box set would be cool. OR they could release "Somewhere In Time (Dickinson Edition)"

Not just tracks, but even small pieces of music that Steve rejected and so on. I'm willing to bet there's quite a bit of stuff lying around collecting dust.

Well there is the stuff left off of SIT,the Blaze song that didn't make it. There's the songs Jan wrote for TFF.

Legend has it that SSOASS was originally meant to be a full-concept double album. But due to record label pressures, the band decided to release it earlier as a regular LP. Did anybody ever hear of this?

Altostratus said:
Legend has it that SSOASS was originally meant to be a full-concept double album. But due to record label pressures, the band decided to release it earlier as a regular LP. Did anybody ever hear of this?

Sounds more like Turbo by Judas Priest to me. Maybe you or someone else got those mixed up.

I'm not counting on very much rare or unreleased material. Maiden probably discard a lot of material during the writing process, so most of it never gets recorded. Unless you want a demo of pointless guitar licks, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Altostratus said:
I heard that it was meant to be the Seventh Son story on just one side of the album - a bit like Rush's 2112. But it ended up being the whole album.

And please don't anyone ask what "one side of the album" means. ;)

I wonder if the band still has it in them to be able to churn out a double-album before everything's said and done...

...I mean considering Judas Priest put out a double-album 2 years ago (granted, it wasn't that good) - why not Maiden? :)

Doesn't that kind of depend on what a double-album is? All post-Fear of the Dark albums have been double-albums by 80's standards.

Albie said:
And please don't anyone ask what "one side of the album" means. ;)

Half of a certain medium, safe from song-order-correctors.

*Runs in opposite direction of Sao Paulo*

Perun said:
Doesn't that kind of depend on what a double-album is? All post-Fear of the Dark albums have been double-albums by 80's standards.
Well in today's context, considering we could define a double-album as a collection of songs whose length couldn't fit in a single disc... that would simply mean an 80+ minute album.

Although I was thinking more in terms of Judas Priest's Nostradamus, whose length is 1:42:23.

So something like 50% longer than what Iron Maiden has been putting out post-FotD. Would be cool if it would be a concept album as well. Hehe.

I'm not necessarily wishing for it, but I'd be more interested and excited than usual if it happens.

I'd love an album like this. I don't know how much material they have recorded, but even if it was only instrumental demos it would be great to hear them.

I hope this happens sometime in the (distant) future.

valacirca said:
Although I was thinking more in terms of Judas Priest's Nostradamus, whose length is 1:42:23.

Yeah, and about half of that is "atmospheric interludes". No thanks.

Yeah, but that musical content makes up the length. Don't quote me, and don't count the seconds (because I really don't care), but the way it feels to me, the real music of Nostradamus would make a single album. That invalidates the point for me...

Like I said, I was merely pertaining to the length and not the musical content. The length is simply that: Length. It could be filled up by any kind of musical content. Which means that if Iron Maiden did a double-album in the future, the fact that I cited Nostradamus as an example doesn't necessarily mean that I was implying half of it should be "atmospheric interludes" (as you call them).

Not to be a snob, but if it wasn't good enough for Steve, why would it be good enough for us?  Unless the quality is that of the b-sides from X Factor; those rocked harder than the album tracks!

Look at Iron Maiden's catalouge.  15 studio albums?  They should have plenty of unreleased and rare stuff, including unreleased songs, demos, rarities, b-sides, outtakes, etc.

I would like to hear it all, and I know they surely have more than just ONE albums worth.  Maybe a huge box set or just a ton of individual releases from the Vaults!  :edmetal:

Back