Amon Amarth

I haven’t kept up with Amon Amarth for years but they are one of the first metal bands I ever got into. Cool to see they’re still doing their thing well.

Probably my favourite habit of AA is their harmonized tremolo-picked riffs.

Last edited:
Biff Byford appearing on an Amon Amarth song might be the most unpleasant surprise on a metal album ever.

New album is not good :(
I really like Amon Amarth but the new album is viking metal by numbers. It sucks. And the Biff Byford song is unintentionally funny.

Surprised by the reactions here - I quite enjoyed the new album. No idea why Put Your Back Into The Oar wasn't included, though.

Those guys have completely lost it. Berserker was boring, Jomsviking was not really better. I think this has something to do with their declared ambition to fill stadiums. All those so-called anthems can be ridiculous.

I actually like a bit of the new album, including the awesomely lame Saxons and Vikings. The opening track is super lame, though.

I literally forgot Berserker existed, so it's a step up from that in my book. Jomsviking had a little more personality.

Hard to deny, however, that these guys are just coasting at this point. I'm still entertained, as I am with all of these power or death metal bands (Sabaton, Powerwolf, etc), but they're all just heavier AC/DC's.

Anyone seen Amarth live lately? They’re coming here in September. I’m not hyped about their latest releases and I wonder if it’s worth seeing them.

Anyone seen Amarth live lately? They’re coming here in September. I’m not hyped about their latest releases and I wonder if it’s worth seeing them.
I saw them at Download 2016. They had a relatively short set (7 songs, 2 of which were from Jomsviking) but it was good fun and had noticeably better production than any of the other bands playing except Maiden and Nightwish.

I will make a decision on that when I see the tour setlist. They are playing a day after Cult of Luna in Budapest. If it's a shit setlist, I'll just go home instead of buying the ticket and spending 50 more euros to stay an additional night in Budapest.

See them anyway :)

Seen them a few times and they're fun and loud and have lots of pyros, if nothing else.

I like Powerwolf but are they fresh? For me they are just Sabaton with vampires and religion lyrics.
I think Sabaton have got a bit tired. Powerwolf's last album by contrast had a lot of energy. They haven't reached the excessive riff recycling stage.

I think Sabaton's highs are much higher, but Powerwolf is way more consistent. Sabaton has kinda flanderized their music and lyrics over time, while Powerwolf was always exactly the same, cheesy and stupid af.

I've seen them a few times. The best was at the Glasgow Barrowlands in 2014. No fancy pyros or dragons. They were a bit more raw and brutal then. The most recent was at Download 2019 and it felt a bit too polished and choreographed but they did have pyros and dragons to make up for it.

Back