AMOLAD tour memories and opinions

I remember in the Flight 666 documentary there was one snippet of Steve and Kevin Shirley in the studio and there is a short live snippet off one the the AMOLAD tracks that wasn't played on the 2007 tour (I can't remember which one now, I haven't seen the doc in a few years). Hopefully that shows at least one show on that first leg was recorded. I got into Maiden with the AMOLAD album when I was 13 back in 2006. I never got to see the tour but I really wish I had been able to. That's why hearing FTGGOG on the LoTB tour was so special to me. It's also the most streamed song from AMOLAD!

I remember in the Flight 666 documentary there was one snippet of Steve and Kevin Shirley in the studio and there is a short live snippet off one the the AMOLAD tracks that wasn't played on the 2007 tour (I can't remember which one now, I haven't seen the doc in a few years).
The Longest Day

I remember in the Flight 666 documentary there was one snippet of Steve and Kevin Shirley in the studio and there is a short live snippet off one the the AMOLAD tracks that wasn't played on the 2007 tour (I can't remember which one now, I haven't seen the doc in a few years). Hopefully that shows at least one show on that first leg was recorded. I got into Maiden with the AMOLAD album when I was 13 back in 2006. I never got to see the tour but I really wish I had been able to. That's why hearing FTGGOG on the LoTB tour was so special to me. It's also the most streamed song from AMOLAD!

That track was The Longest Day.

I was told some years ago that the original plan was to release the Donington 2007 gig with the AMOLAD tracks that were not played in 2007 as bonus material, but that the project got shelved.

It's also the most streamed song from AMOLAD!
Great fact. :ok:

I was told some years ago that the original plan was to release the Donington 2007 gig with the AMOLAD tracks that were not played in 2007 as bonus material, but that the project got shelved.
Wasn't it For The Greater Good Of God?

This project would have been awesome and something unusual for Maiden (with the bonus material). Let's hope that someday they will release footage from this tour, it's somewhere in the vaults. I remember thinking at the time that they would release a DVD from the 2006 leg for sure.

Actually, what annoyed me back then was that Maiden had announced they'd play five NOTB songs and five AMOLAD songs on what they dubbed the "A Matter of the Beast" tour, but they only played four. It was the regular 2007 AMOLAD setlist with only one extra song (Children of the Damned) added. Without that previous announcement it would have been cool, but with that announcement it actually became a cheat.
The decision was a bit odd for Maiden, as they never officially celebrated their album anniversaries with tours, although they didn't play the entire TNOTB album. I guess they wanted to add more classics to compensate some fans for the 2006 leg, but let's also not forget the concept of the 2005 tour. All in all -> it's their landmark album with three of their greatest hits! They already brought back more old songs during the ''Give Me Ed'' tour, but I always felt that the 2007 setlist was a missed opportunity to have some surprises like Lord Of The Flies in 2003 (Tailgunner, Be Quick Or Be Dead or Wasting Love, for example). For the past 12 years they play Run To The Hills only during Hits tours, while Number and Hallowed are the mandatory ones, but back then they should have played a 5th song (22 or Prisoner). Children was a great surprise.

I think the decision for the 2006 leg of the tour was the best, especially with such a strong album. The classics always have their spotlight.

About ''5+5 songs'', let's hope that will be true for this year's tour.

Great fact. :ok:

Wasn't it For The Greater Good Of God?

This project would have been awesome and something unusual for Maiden (with the bonus material). Let's hope that someday they will release footage from this tour, it's somewhere in the vaults. I remember thinking at the time that they would release a DVD from the 2006 leg for sure.

There are clips from both The Longest Day and For the Greater Good of God on Flight 666.

I know Iam a minority but I dont like the album. Its Nu to me and I miss the gallopp trademark riffing.
IMO Maiden lost their momentum with AMOLAD tour, as the biggest metal band. Today Rammstein and Metallica are miles ahead, but they went toe to toe with Maiden in those days

I know Iam a minority but I dont like the album. Its Nu to me and I miss the gallopp trademark riffing.
IMO Maiden lost their momentum with AMOLAD tour, as the biggest metal band. Today Rammstein and Metallica are miles ahead, but they went toe to toe with Maiden in those days
Lost their momentum? By playing the whole album live? They had to release a new album already (after 3 years), it was normal. Also, you seem to forget which tour followed this album tour. Miles ahead with what? Albums, songs, stage productions, performances?

About the galloping trademark riffs - Lord Of Light, the part after Adrian's solo in Brighter Than A Thousand Suns? And it's not like every Maiden album is full of such riffs, in fact there are only a few songs per album. The only albums without such songs are (If I'm not mistaken): DOD, FOTD and the debut.

Rammstein put on big shows but they're just not my cup of tea. They have one song I like. Metallica no doubt is still huge worldwide and especially here in the US over Maiden but the material they have put out since 2000 pales in comparison to Maiden, IMO.

I kind of don’t get this statement. I mean, you’re free to dislike AMOLAD as music is subjective and not everyone likes the same stuff. As far as the band losing their momentum well, they still headline festivals around the world, play headline arena sold out tours just like they were in 2006 so I don’t understand how they lost momentum.

You must be young as any sensible music fan wouldn’t give a shit about how big a band they like is compared to others. Even if Rammstein and Metallica are bigger, so what. It’s not like maiden started playing small club tours after the AMOLAD tour is it.

The Longest Day

0:35 in:

Reactions: Jer
Back