Am I the only one who finds...

Genstar

Prowler
Rime of the Ancient Mariner very over rated? It's one of maiden's most popular songs, and I really can't see why. I am not trolling, I love Seventh Son, Hallowed be thy Name, Alexander the Great, etc. but I really don't find this "epic" to be all that interesting. It's not even that I don't like long songs. I really dig songs like 2112 by rush and At war with Satan by Venom.

I'll admit that it has some cool lyrics. I'll even admit that the solo that hits once you finally get out the middle section is pretty cool. Aside from those two things however, I find this track incredibly tedious and I feel like it's even repetitive. The middle section is the same couple notes over and over for two minutes on acoustic guitar with someone (Bruce?) whispering.

Maybe someone can explain why they think the song is so great. I probably won't like it anymore than I do now, but I'd still like to what it's appeal is to fellow maiden fans

You're not the only one, but you're out of your mind. :p

I honestly must be because I've listened to it at least 30 times now and still don't find it amazing! I don't think its a bad song, just not really as good as everyone makes it out to be

What??? How can you say overrated? First of all its 13 minutes long, 13 MINUTES LONG and it never gets boring. Second of all its a song that encompasses one of the most famous epic poems in history, again without being boring. The song manages to have poetry read in the middle, without being cheesy. By the end of the song you feel like you were on the journey yourself. The guitar work is amazing, the bass is amazing and of course the vocals are amazing (it's Bruce Dickinson.) This song is easily Maidens second best right behind Hallowed.

Long =/= Good

Rime is cool but it's not in my top ten, maybe not even 30. Not even my favorite from Powerslave.

:eek: Am I on the wrong board or something?
Defying Rime? This is anarchy!
I'm going to play Rime eleven times in a row and I will hopefully forget what I read.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is my favourite Maiden song. With reason. It contains lots of nice rhythm patterns, tempo changes, and the song's adventurous nature is unsurpassed. The song is full of bone slicing riffs. We have some spellbinding melodies and also one of Adrian's best solos. Bruce is superb.

There is no song with better atmosphere, the threatening moods are so captivating. Suspenseful build-up.

Highlight:

The "..and by the light of the moon.." verses +
....and then down in falls comes the RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNN!

(followed by the coolest music, ever made by mankind)

I really like Rush, but 2112 misses lots of these ingredients. It's tedious compared to Rime.

Long =/= Good

Rime is cool but it's not in my top ten, maybe not even 30. Not even my favorite from Powerslave.

I would agree with this.
I don't think it has "lots of nice rhythm patterns" or "bone slicing riffs" as it's pretty repetitive. The mid section is okay for a bit but goes on far too long, I would agree with the highlight being the later verses and the solo's, but meh... I just don't find it that captivating.

Also, don't listen to songs over 6 minutes, right?

I would agree with this.
I don't think it has "lots of nice rhythm patterns" or "bone slicing riffs" as it's pretty repetitive. The mid section is okay for a bit but goes on far too long, I would agree with the highlight being the later verses and the solo's, but meh... I just don't find it that captivating.
Yea, same here. Powerslave, a song half its length, is a lot more exciting for me.

Also, don't listen to songs over 6 minutes, right?
Yea. Long songs are stoopid.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is my favourite Maiden song. With reason. It contains lots of nice rhythm patterns, tempo changes, and the song's adventurous nature is unsurpassed. The song is full of bone slicing riffs. We have some spellbinding melodies and also one of Adrian's best solos. Bruce is superb.

There is no song with better atmosphere, the threatening moods are so captivating. Suspenseful build-up.

Highlight:

The "..and by the light of the moon.." verses +
....and then down in falls comes the RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNN!

(followed by the coolest music, ever made by mankind)

I really like Rush, but 2112 miss lots of these ingredients. It's tedious compared to Rime.

Well put .. except I really do not care for Rush. I am not sure Rime is my favorite Maiden tune, but it is top 5 for sure.

It's an old joke that stemmed from chat.

Thanks for clarifying.

On the topic: I think the song has enough variation to defend it being that long. I can see how the mid section can be seen as long, but the build-up to that part is truly great. Personally I really like the mid-section as well. I find it really atmospheric (even more so live). The lyrics are a fine adaption of the poem, and the three minutes directly after the slow mid-section are immense. I have earlier called that part the greatest three minutes in heavy metal, and I am willing to stand by that.

Rime doesn't really feel like a 13-minute song to me. It is a 3-minute catchy, up-tempo heavy metal piece (up to "There, calls the mariner ...") followed by a very varied 8-minute epic, before a 2:30 minutes revisit of the first piece. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but I find it hard to see how it is possible to love SSOASS and dislike this. (For the record, I love both, they are both among my 5 favourite Maiden songs)

I'm with Foro... the emotion at the part when the rain starts to fall.. the curse is lifted, the mariner knows he is going to live.. Yeah, that's freaking awesome. It's one of only a few songs that gives me chills whenever I hear it. the LAD version is one of the best!!

But, if you don't like it, you don't like it. I like dark beer, my friends like red wine. It's all a matter of taste.

Songs longer than 6 minutes? Like ... let's say .. Powerslave? (7:07)
I figured the fact I mentioned Powerslave would make the joke more obvious. My apologies.

I do like the part where the rain starts to fall. And really it is a good song, I just don't think it's one of their best.

Back