Albums that clicked later on?

I was looking through the album specific topics, and I decided to listen to Virtual XI again. While I never hated it, I never had that great of an opinion of it. However, it suddenly clicked and I am liking it a lot more than I used to. Are there any albums that your feelings have vastly changed on?

The X Factor.

When it first came out I hated it. I sold my CD and forgot about it for a good 10 years. I gave it another shot and bought it again in 2006, and found a new respect for it.

I still hate Virtual XI, though.

Brave New World. I didnt like it that much, then bought it used and when I played it in the car it clicked. Still dont like The Thin Line Between Love and Hate and Nomad though. What I find funny is that I like more No Prayer for the Dying than Brave New World and a lot of maiden fans say WTF hehe

Funny how things work like that. I could name a couple albums that I listened to digitally that I didn't like at all and then they finally clicked when I listened in the car.

For me, Brave New World and Dance of Death. Didn't click when they came out. But after a few years, and having AMOLAD to compare to, I fell in love with them.

All the '90s albums, to be honest. All four of them were hard to swallow when I first heard them, but one day No Prayer clicked for me, then The X Factor a little while later, then Fear of the Dark, and Virtual XI a couple months back.

On a related note, Skunkworks made no sense to me, and then one day I listened to it, and it just became my favorite album ever. I still don't know how that happened. It was overnight.

TFF, I listened to it solidly (maybe one other album a day?) for the first month... didn't enjoy it or even pick up a single song besides WTWWB and MoM. Came back to it a year later still thought the same.. then sat and went track by track through it due to the discussions in chat, and started to like it.

AMOLAD, hated it at first. Was on the verge of selling my ticket when I found that they were doing it in its entirity but the live versions helped bring some enjoyment to some songs. Now a few years later some are more enjoyable, but others have dropped further (DW/TCDR)

Literally same experience as MaidenCanada --bought XF when it came out (I think!), but interest in Maiden/Metal/Music trailed off in the late 90's; clearly (although I have no recollection of this) I didn't really like it. (Not even sure if I bought VXI.) So, certainly came back to XF & rate it far higher than I did (apparently) in the mid 90's; XVI has grown a little on me (or at least individual tracks have); & TFF (although I thought it was great when it came out) has grown even more on me, especially since hearing tracks live on En Vivo!. I don't really have (or haven't had) any other extreme negative views in regard to other albums, so my opinion of others albums hasn't moved much.

Many songs clicked later, as for albums, personally I always end up falling in love with a Maiden album. It often takes time. A lot of time. Just enough to get in the mood, understand the production, the concept and everything that's related and then every song blends and becomes ''The'' album and suddenly makes sense. I consider BNW to be one of Maiden's best album ever and I do like "Nomad"! Not as much as "Journeyman" which is rising in my list lately.

Piece of Mind for me, though it's still one of my least favorites. All the songs on the album that have ever been played live absolutely rule, but the album itself has a weird production that saps the strength out of the riffs. It took me some years to really get into this album, and it truly is great. Just not a fave of mine.

Just out of interest are people who don't like a particular album listening to the Remasters or the Original Cd or Vinyl, when I got the remaster I couldn't understand why Maiden albums I loved sounded terrible and lacked that spark, and it was due to the highly compressed remasters, 'Piece Of Mind' and 'Somewhere In Time' in particular sounded terrible and nothing like the originals ?

Just out of interest are people who don't like a particular album listening to the Remasters or the Original Cd or Vinyl, when I got the remaster I couldn't understand why Maiden albums I loved sounded terrible and lacked that spark, and it was due to the highly compressed remasters, 'Piece Of Mind' and 'Somewhere In Time' in particular sounded terrible and nothing like the originals ?

I do have the remaster, but I also have japanese black triangle first pressings of every album up to Seventh Son. It certainly sounds better, but it still sounds like it was recorded in a closet.

I think without old vinyls it's pretty hard today to hear the true maiden from that time. I never knew it, personally. I do love Iron maiden and Killer though even tho the production is terrible it emits a huge amount of freedom that empowers me despite having no bruce.

The 90s albums, I was not overly impressed by anything from No Prayer to Virtual XI when they came out, I liked individual songs, but have grown to appreciate them over time. I still think they are the weakest 4 in the catalog, but I hold then in higher regard now than I did at the time.

Back