Albums of the decade: Your fave 5 albums from the 1960s (all genres)

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
Name your fave 5 albums from the 1960s (all genres) HERE.

Mine (no particular order):

The Beatles - White Album
Led Zeppelin - Debut
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
The Doors - Strange Days
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Taking a quick run through my album doc:

1. The Beatles - Abbey Road (1969)
2. The Beatles - The Beatles (1968)
3. The Beatles - Rubber Soul (1965)
4. Gordon Lightfoot - Lightfoot! (1966)
5. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

Overly saturated with The Beatles but they were the best band of all time. I could see Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys creeping into the top 5 eventually though. I need to listen to more pre-1970s music in general though.

Taking a quick run through my album doc:

1. The Beatles - Abbey Road (1969)
2. The Beatles - The Beatles (1968)
3. The Beatles - Rubber Soul (1965)
4. Gordon Lightfoot - Lightfoot! (1966)
5. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

Overly saturated with The Beatles but they were the best band of all time. I could see Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys creeping into the top 5 eventually though. I need to listen to more pre-1970s music in general though.
I know Abbey Road is considered the greatest Beatles album by so many people, but it sounds sooooooooo sterile to me... At least in comparison to the rest of their catalogue. It suffers the production imho. Your profile pic is nice btw.

I know Abbey Road is considered the greatest Beatles album by so many people, but it sounds sooooooooo sterile to me... At least in comparison to the rest of their catalogue. It suffers the production imho.
That's a wild take, I've always thought it was George Martin at the pinnacle of his craft. Give or take Rubber Soul, I also think it's the warmest sounding Beatles album. The entire record feels like the band creating the perfect rock album just as the genre was getting ready to erupt. Everything up to the Medley is fantastic, and then the Medley itself is a killer run through snapshots as the curtain begins to fall on the band. The cohesiveness and expansiveness of Abbey Road easily make it both the best of the band's iconic 13 albums but also the perfect final chapter in the band's history (with Let It Be being an epilogue).

Your profile pic is nice btw.
No wonder you mirrored me. :p

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
The Doors - The Doors
Pink Floyd - Pipers At The Gates Of Dawn
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum
Deep Purple - Shades Of Deep Purple

Deep Purple - In Rock
The Who - Tommy
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Willy and the poor boys
Led Zeppelin - I or II, can't decide.

I don't own enough stuff from the 1960s to offer a useful list here. Just some stuff from Simon & Garfunkel and Beatles collections, William Shatner's The Transformed Man, and the first two Led Zeppelin albums...

Been avoiding these threads, since I find thinking about and ranking this stuff head wrecking but:

Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin II

Don't think think I own any other album from the 60s bar compilations from Hendrix and the Doors

Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
The Velvet Underground & Nico

The first four are my top four albums of all time with the fith being my number six. Bob Dylan's Blood On The Tracks is my fifth favorite album of all time in case you were curious.

Led Zeppelin - I
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Bob Dylan - Another Side Of Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan - Bringin It All Back Home (Honestly anything from Freewheelin - John Wesley would work, except Blonde on Blonde, haven't gotten into it)

Back