Aircraft

Mig-21s are a bit of a classic. Must still be in service with quite a few air forces I would have thought. Never seen one myself.
Still in service with Romanian Air Force. I have seen it at many airshows and it still performs well. Quite a blast, very impressive sound from these old birds.

A lot of operators field 'advanced' types which have digital avionics in them. Ours are classic 70s thing, retrofitted only with NATO communications gear and GPS receiver. The way they're used is that pilot gets directions from someone else via radio, then goes there to acquire the target visually. The maximum range of firing solution is about 8 km best case scenario, via the same missile that's used as defensive measure on choppers. The MiG itself is completely oblivious to the armament apart from carrying it and having necessary wiring in around the cockpit, the pilot manuevers to have the target in front of him, turns the missile on, the missile head actually locks on to the target itself, and starts buzzing a sound when lock on is achieved, which means it's ready to fire. As you might've guessed, this missile (R-60) is not carried by platforms whose primary role is air to air combat, it's a small 'portable' missile that can be mounted on a cropduster if you really wanted it. In case target did not go down, MiG can fallback to gun fight with radar assisted gun sight, provided that the radar can actually lock on to the target, which is not guaranteed considering what radar we're talking about and how it performs under jamming.

Vietnam era tech, Vietnam era approach. Imagine what quantum leap pilots will experience flying in Rafale.

Btw, SFR Yugoslavia tried to develop 4th generation fighter. Actually some of the same MiG-29s Serbia operates today, were ordered as an interim measure and as a loan pay back from Soviets, until Yugo-fighter gets deployed sometime in the mid to late 90s. The first prototype was 30% complete when the war struck. The technology used, was French, as the plane design resembled a single engine version of Rafale :) So this historical fact connects a bit too.
I had no idea about this. Does look similar to the Rafale and Gripen, and not totally unlike the Eurofighter
1622568821014.png

The sole prototype's cockpit got completed so you can google the picture. It is the same layout as Rafale and similar to EF.

Mainly if you look at these cockpits, they look like Star Trek compared to anything Russians have fielded even in the 90s.

One Soviet early 80s tech had a huge advantage in usability tho, as witnessed by USAF pilots flying 'against' German MiG-29 in combat training, and it's directly contrarian to the glass cockpit approach. The successor to that R-60 missile is R-73 missile. This one has 3 times more range, and its seeker head is on a gimbal that can look around. Near the HUD, there are tracking sensors, that precisely track pilot's helmet in 2D. The movement of the helmet is wired to the gimbal on the missile. The procedure Soviet/Russian pilot utilizes in within visual range combat is - click a button in the cockpit, a green circle gets projected in the visor. Look at target, place it in a green circle, auto lock symbol goes on, fire. American pilots were astonished that Soviet workload for missile dogfight is essentially zero and that pilot can focus solely on flying the plane to favorable position. And of course, Americans/Europeans started implementing the same technology.

The principle was there in the late 60s and USAF even tried it out over Vietnam. However, the tracking was made with magnetic drives right on the helmet that quickly became very heavy, and the early Sidewinders they tried it with, weren't really that capable to begin with. It got combat trialed in Vietnam on F-4, pilots hated the helmet and it didn't live on. If my memory is correct, the 21st century AIM-9X version is the first one with offset seeker, so helmet mounted sights with IR/laser tracking are now widespread in NATO usage too.

I'm heavily displeased at the NATO code name for the Sukhoi Su-57. - "Felon".
Completely unprofessional.

With one or two exceptions, they've never been complimentary names. Fagot, Farmer, Fishbed, Flogger, Fulcrum, Fishpot, Flagon, Fitter, Frogfoot. Flanker is questionable. Only Foxbat and Fencer sound any good. Bear was a good one, and Blackjack.

They're not derogatory either. Felon has no positive meaning in any interpretation.
Prior to this one, last introduced craft was Su-34 Fullback.

There was always calculation in what word to use, it's never truly random or from a sequenced list. MiG-25 Foxbat , MiG-31 Foxhound

In secondary promo materials and in press, these words were normally used when writing in English, 'Flanker' was usual name for Su-27, etc.
That's why I'm saying it's unprofessional. They could've called it Fornicator too.

I'm heavily displeased at the NATO code name for the Sukhoi Su-57. - "Felon".
Completely unprofessional.
Hey, at least it's a cool name. Beats the nonsensical "Fishbed" or the uninspiring "Farmer"

Certainly, I'd be very happy if someone named my product like it was an 80s action movie

I don't care that much, it's just a remark.

In the cold war proper, there was no globalization. The NATO designation was just an internal thing. Now the NATO designation has the prospect to become English word for the given plane, because the whole world is global. US and Russia both participate in tenders for a country, and promo materials, especially the ones that various publications receive, is almost always in English.

Pardon my cynicism but I believe someone from the NATO camp did a cheap trick for slight defamation of a competitor.

Pretty sure I spotted Air Force One today. Large four engined light coloured jet with c.4 fighters, almost certainly F-15s. It was a bit hard to tell because they were so high and flying up the line of the coast.

Back