Advertisements in the middle of threads

I see nothing wrong with this. RW can't be expected to pay for this site out of his own pocket, and if this is the best way to keept it going I approve wholeheartedly.
As for the Maidenfans+ idea, I seem to recall reccomending something like this in mid-2005 when the site went haywire due to the increased traffic from the Ozzy/Maiden fiasco. I thought it was a good alternative then, and I think it's a good alternative now.

I do have the same question SMX has, though - if I see an ad which interests me and open it in a new tab or new browser, do you still get the credit for it, RW?

SinisterMinisterX said:
Real World: could you refresh my memory (and everyone else's) with some information:

1. Is The Owl correct about only once a day does you any good? I think she is, but I can't remember for sure.
I don't think this is the case. Once a day per advertiser I imagine but not overall. For example above this topic at the moment I see links to Free Antivirus Downloads and Mailroom News portal. I think if I clicked both of those it would count but if I clicked one twice it wouldn't

2. I use Firefox, and I like to open the links in a new tab. Do you know if you still get credit for this, or do we have to let it open in the same tab? The reason I ask is because I don't know offhand if full referrer info is passed along to a new tab.
Yes it is. The link for free antivirus downloads is http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pa ... 8579&nm=24
As you can see the link is to google and our referal ID is passed into the URL so opening in a new tab is not a problem. You should even be able to open it in a different browser if you wanted!

3. I always let the advertiser's page load fully, then go to another page on his site. I'm assuming this is enough to get you the credit. Do you know if Google has any rules about how long we have to spend on the advertiser's site?
As long as the site has STARTED to load and the url in the browser is that of the advertiser then I believe that is enough to warrant payment.

Owl: The amount we receive per click is dependant on the advert you click. Some are worth more than others. Depends on the relevance of the ad to the site you're viewing or something like that. It seems to be in the region of 5-10 cents from what I can tell.

I just want to make it clear however that we are not endorsing anyone clicking the ads unless they see something they want to see. Doing so would be encouraging click fraud and could get us thrown off the google ads program. :)

The ads, kind of like capitalism, may not be pretty but (if) they help gain money than it is a good practical thing.  It is a small, smart trade-off, IMHO.

I have no problems with advertisements, I am somehow immune or what. I treat them as the same mess as signatures of users and simply skip them. But, I must apologise that this little ignorance means I do not click advertisements. I hope this is not that big loss :)

Belenor said:
the same mess as signatures of users
Well, some sigs are pretty nice and some members put a lot of effort in their signatures, believe me. Don't they, JackKnife? :innocent:

Serratia said:
Well, some sigs are pretty nice and some members put a lot of effort in their signatures, believe me. Don't they, JackKnife? :innocent:

I believe they do, no offense. But I usually do not read them and treat them in a similar way as those advertisements. Well, I found signatures can be turned off so there's the difference, or is not?

Serratia said:
Yes Lady. I try to make them fun at least.  :blush:

LOL.  I love that pic JackKnife. 

Belenor said:
I have no problems with advertisements, I am somehow immune or what. I treat them as the same mess as signatures of users and simply skip them. But, I must apologise that this little ignorance means I do not click advertisements. I hope this is not that big loss :)

I've recently had a click, which sent me to a website with a collection of tribute songs.  Some were really good.  Sometimes clicking on these ads pays off.  ;)  But it is really up to you.

Mav's tinkering with the settings again.  ;) Or is it RW?

EDIT: Never mind they're back or rather they never left.  Hmmm... maybe you wished the ads away Sneaky!  :p

when i first posted something in here i was a little frustrated by the ads but now i really couldnt care less.

yes ads are annoying but at least they aren't big flashy pop ups full of spam

powerslave said:
when i first posted something in here i was a little frustrated by the ads but now i really couldnt care less.

yes ads are annoying but at least they aren't big flashy pop ups full of spam

That's a good point.  Pop-ups would seriously slow down reading and especially posting, which makes me think even more that Maverick chose the right method of advertising.  :ok:

Genghis Khan said:
That's a good point.  Pop-ups would seriously slow down reading and especially posting, which makes me think even more that Maverick chose the right method of advertising.  :ok:
He did?

Genghis Khan said:

Did I?  :blink:

Back