Advertisements in the middle of threads

A

Anonymous

It was bound to happen: I've received some complaints about the Google ads in the middle of the threads (every 5 posts, to be accurate). Well, only one particular person was really complaining, but I won't mention any names.  :innocent:

Now the question is: how many of you are actually disturbed by those ads? Should they be removed or can they stay and provide MaidenFans with a bit of financial help when you click on them? Let the people decide.  :smartarse:

I'm the one complaining, and I'd like it to be talked about.

I do understand that Maidenfans need a financial help.
I don't mind the links on top and bottom of the pages, I'm clicking in those from time to time to help.

BUT, I find those adds in the middle of each thread unacceptable.
We're surrounded already by advertisements everywhere... I never appreciated the adds in a middle of a movie on TV. I refused to pay less on my mobile phone and having adds inflicted to my friends I was calling.
Having those adds on a regular basis in middle of threads... AAAAWWWW!!! Damn them!!!

Are not the adds on top and bottom of each page enough?

And yes, Mav, I'm French... So what? Were you not born one?

Le Hibou - The Owl said:
And yes, Mav, I'm French... So what? Were you not born one?

Some people are indeed born with serious handicaps in life. I'm still under treatment, but I'm getting better, thanks!  :p

I'd have to lie if I said that I am pleased to see them. They look like serious spamming to me. But at least it's not flashy pop-ups or anything that is seriously distracting or irritating. I suppose I can tolerate them, though they are somewhat annoying.

I agree with Perun. I can handle it when it's only like this. Pop-ups would make me stop visiting, though ;) (If you want to get rid of me, start using pop-ups, Mav :smartarse:) But, only to show my ignorance, how does it work? Does the site make money if we click on the ads?

Hmm... seeing the ad in the middle of this thread, I must say my tolerance is being tested, though. Does this really warrant higher incomes than ads at the top and bottom of the pages?

Maverick said:
Some people are indeed born with serious handicaps in life. I'm still under treatment, but I'm getting better, thanks!  :p
Liar! Treatment failed! :lol:

I don't like these adds at all, and it's not related to my nationality  -_-

I didn't really mind when they were at the top of the pages but it's quite boring to see them in the middle of the thread.
Actually the main problem with those advertisements is that, most of the time ,  they're totally irrelevant.

...now some might say it's just my shitty french nature speaking...

It appears I'm in the minority, because I have no objections at all to the ads. They surprised me for a few seconds the first time I saw them, but it's no big deal. On the one hand, it's very easy to scroll past them if you don't like them. On the other, they're helping me to remember to click them periodically and help the site out. So I say, keep 'em there.

OK here's my input since it was my idea.
Since I'm currently taking on the $100 financial burden of this non-profit fan site I need to find as many GOOD sources of income as possible and Google ads are a VERY good source. The problem with ads at the top and bottom is people can very easily forget they are there. Having them in the middle of a thread - while annoying (and I fully agree it IS annoying) is hard to miss. If people click those links because they've seen something they like or even by accident, it gives us revenue and keeps us going.
The merch we sell turns over very little income unfortunately despite it being my preferred method of raising money. The amazon referal income is so small we've not actually been allowed to bank a PENNY of it in THREE years. Yet Google pretty much pays the bills every month without fail.

Now here's the alternative. We want to start a "Maidenfans +" scheme as some people may have already noticed the link hidden on the main site. Now this scheme will involve paying a monthly fee but by doing so it will allow you to disable all advertisements on the entire website and forum. Is this something some of you are interested in and if so how much do you think is reasonable to pay for the privilege. Based for the sake of argument on just removing the ads. (In actual fact Maidenfans+ will offer more than this but lets not complicate matters just yet :))

And just in time heres an ad below to click or ignore :p

Real World said:
Now here's the alternative. We want to start a "Maidenfans +" scheme as some people may have already noticed the link hidden on the main site. Now this scheme will involve paying a monthly fee but by doing so it will allow you to disable all advertisements on the entire website and forum. Is this something some of you are interested in and if so how much do you think is reasonable to pay for the privilege. Based for the sake of argument on just removing the ads. (In actual fact Maidenfans+ will offer more than this but lets not complicate matters just yet :))
A last.fm subscription, as an example, for 3 months is £4.50 (or £1.50 per month). Is this the sort of money we are talking about? I do seem to remember £20 per year been banded about also - all you would need is 50 or so people to pay that sort of money (I say "all you would need", you'd still need them to do it).

I don't think this is too much to ask and I would pay that.

what does a last.fm subscription include? Ad free radio?
Whatever the fee I imagine it would be in dollars rather than £ too due to paying the bills in that currency and the fact most our viewers are from the US

The last.fm subscription removes all the ads and gives you a "Personal Tag Radio" (although I've not used this bit). It also is meant to give the subscribers priority on their webservers - "If our radio server gets too busy, a non-subscriber is booted off to make room for you", it says.

I don't really mind,  it looked strange at first,  but now I don't really care.  Um what's with all the French references?  Is it something obvious I'm missing?

I understand your point Real World.
Here's a question, any time I click on a banner on the top or bottom, how much do you earn? As I remember it's not much, and it only works once a day, but still, I'd like to be reminded about that.

As for paying for being able to disabble the adds... I'm sorry, I know that Internet may make people believe that everything is free, which is not the case, but I won't pay that kind of service to get rid of adds and still I'd really like the forum to be free of adds (at least in the middle of threads). So it's back to my first question.

SneakySneaky said:
All this "I am French Maverick and that's where you were born" etc.  What's that all about?
It's a private joke with Mav. He's always saying that the Frenchs are ALWAYS complaining. As I am one and as I did jump at his throat this morning on account of the adds in the middle of threads...
And I agree with JackKnife, the treatment totally and irrevocably failed, Mav.

Real World: could you refresh my memory (and everyone else's) with some information:

1. Is The Owl correct about only once a day does you any good? I think she is, but I can't remember for sure.

2. I use Firefox, and I like to open the links in a new tab. Do you know if you still get credit for this, or do we have to let it open in the same tab? The reason I ask is because I don't know offhand if full referrer info is passed along to a new tab.

3. I always let the advertiser's page load fully, then go to another page on his site. I'm assuming this is enough to get you the credit. Do you know if Google has any rules about how long we have to spend on the advertiser's site?

Sneaky: another aspect of the "French references" is that Maverick was born and raised in France, though he's now a Swiss citizen. Further, Mav isn't especially proud of his French heritage, so those of us who know that often mention it to taunt him. Right Mav, ya Frenchie French person? :p

In a way, I'm surprised IM, Sanctuary or someone connected with the band and/or record company already offered to pay the server/traffic bills since it's a service for old/new/prospective fans everywhere and I'm sure it leads to increased sales for the band.
But I'd be prepared to pay somewhere between $20-40 a year ($2-4/month) only to support the commentary since that's a great service to fans all over the world. I'm not that bothered with the ads, since it's just to scroll past them if you don't feel like clicking them, but I'm definitely prepared to support this service to the community. Give me your account number and I'll start the transfers (I won't say which way, though :innocent:)

Le Hibou - The Owl said:
He's always saying that the Frenchs are ALWAYS complaining.

That's a French thing?
Funny, there must be 80 million French in Germany :p

Back