Adrian's Strat

Hi guys
I noticed in one of the photos of H in Ross Halfin's gallery that he is playing a rare strat.... He has always seen with a Fender American Deluxe Strat- Sunburst but this one is very rare (Cream color) I would like to know is there any signature model or non signature model of this Guitar for sale?
Here is the Photo:

http://www.rosshalfin.com/ironmaiden/ir ... ur115.html

BTW: Someone told me that " Iron Maiden pays at least 10'000 USD to get a good sound out of Fender Strats because those Guitars have Single-Coil pickups that are not suitable and great for this genre of music..."
Is this true? Do they use a lot of expensive tools to make the sound great?
Thanks.

RealMaidenFan said:
BTW: Someone told me that " Iron Maiden pays at least 10'000 USD to get a good sound out of Fender Strats because those Guitars have Single-Coil pickups that are not suitable and great for this genre of music..."
Is this true? Do they use a lot of expensive tools to make the sound great?
Thanks.
Bah.

Humbuckers are the preferred type of pickup for metal, yes, for its thickness.

But seriously. Single coils do not sound like crap just because they are single coils. Geez. Look at Ritchie Blackmore. Look at Yngwie Malmsteen. He had (had!) a tone to die for.  Hell, look at Glenn Tipton and KK Downing of Judas Priest. Even that dude from Bon Jovi. All these have gotten some great tones out of their strats. And they don't "pay extra" to get them to sound well. They use great guitars with great pedals, amplifiers, preamps and speakers. That's their secret. Single coils don't make guitars sound bad, or they wouldn't be used. They just have a different character, and if it works - Then great. If it's not thick enough for ya, get a damn humbucker. Regardless, it's not a massive difference. It's fairly minor, although some people make it out to be more than it is.

It makes bigger difference if you play Thrash Metal or something, where you'll use active humbuckers like EMG 81 - Which get some gain added to them already in the guitar, to boost the weak signal. But this is Iron Maiden. They don't play SUPERTHRASHNEOPROGRESSIVEGRINDCORE. THey play Heavy Metal.

Aren't many of Adrian's strats fitted with one humbucker and two single coils?

By the way, my guitar is a standard Strat with three single-coil pickups. Through the amp I'm using it sounds damn fine. I could use a little thicker sound sometimes, but most of the time I love the sound of it.

Spending 10 000 USD to get a good sound out of a guitar sounds like shenanigans, bollocks or bovine faeces. Hell, even more expensive signature models from the guitar companies don't cost that kind of money. Thus I agree with Yax - bah.

Eddies Wingman said:

This.

Speaking of Singlecoil/Humbucker, i'm sure they use both when it fits into song/sound/situation.
Davey even uses Single sized humbuckers - the thin ones to fit in the gaps, but with two coils.

Although single coils have one negative aspect - they hum (interference, weird unpleasant noise).

mtmccox said:
This.

Speaking of Singlecoil/Humbucker, i'm sure they use both when it fits into song/sound/situation.
Davey even uses Single sized humbuckers - the thin ones to fit in the gaps, but with two coils.

Although single coils have one negative aspect - they hum (interference, weird unpleasant noise).
just lift the ground with a DI box. Solves that.

And it's not a rare guitar, he used it a lot on the BNW tour, drop D tuned.

I think Invader answered this topic last year

[urlhttp://forum.maidenfans.com/http://forum.maidenfans.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=272115#p272115][/url]

Zare said:
And it's not a rare guitar, he used it a lot on the BNW tour, drop D tuned.
Really? On what song did he play in Drop D. I'll have to pay more attention to that concert.

Eddies Wingman said:
Didn't he use drop D for several songs? I know he does for Number of the Beast, but I think there are more.

Watch Rock In Rio. All songs that feature that guitar are in drop D. All songs that feature sunburst Strat are in standard E. Not sure about "Iron Maiden" which he performed on black Les Paul.

Back