Acoustic Maiden?

THESEVENTHMARINER

Ancient Mariner
After listening to Journeyman quite a lot recently, I was just wondering whether Maiden would do more softer acoustic songs. I'd like them to experiment with some acoustic music.

What are your thoughts? Acoustic, good or bad?

:)

I wouldn't mind another full acoustic song on the next album, but since they have so many long and slow intros, they don't need to do a lot of other acoustic stuff. It would be cool to hear some songs that start off heavy and then go acoustic instead of mostly starting out that way.

I'd love it. The band is capable of so much and I'd like to see them push the envelope.
If the next album contains a song as short and aggressive as Purgatory and as poignant and beautiful as Arc of Space, I will be a happy man.

I think their acoustic stuff sounds great, that's definitely something Janick has added to the band.

Look up Maiden United - an acoustic Maiden cover band. They're pretty awesome.

I dunno what Travis means, but I'd like something more than an outro of acoustic. Maybe something heavy with a slowed down acoustic middle section. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any Maiden song that does that.

Yeah, it would be cool to start heavy and become acoustic in the middle and maybe even stay that way. Kind of reminds me of Sabbath's Symptom of the Universe, which is amazing (Sabotage is way too underrated anyway - how come they never play the songs live?)

But generally I'm not all enamoured of acoustic Maiden. It's cool to have Journeyman and some of the acoustic intros/parts are enticing (such as The Legacy, which is absolutely stunning), but they depend too much upon the acoustic noodling intros nowadays. As I've read somewhere else on this forum (not sure where or who wrote it - sorry), if today Adrian came with a kickass balls-out catchy fast rocker Steve would say "no, no, no, I know how to make it even better" and proceeded to put three minutes of acoustic strumming in the beginning and in the end.
To be clear - I love Maiden primarily for the slight prog overtones, but as of now I would maybe wish for less acoustic parts than for more.

And if, then let it be acoustic all the way, which is probably what THESEVENMARINER had in mind. But only occasionally.

Yeah I didn't mean that the band should become a band like Mumford and Sons haha... I just thought some occasional acoustic songs would add variety to their
repertoire.

Maybe something like Bruce's Tears of the Dragon, that'd be quite nice.

:)

Well, me I love Lindisfarne. Or even Steeleye Span. No problem here :D

Yeah, Tears is good and like I said - something like Journeyman wouldn't be too bad as well.

It's only a matter of proportions - for example of the various Maiden influences I have read about, the only one I don't like all that much is Wishbone Ash and the reason is exactly that - too much acoustic strumming and shuffles and whatever, it reminded me of the middle-period Grateful Dead. Yes, I know what I have written about Lindisfarne and such, but those are different bands with different goals. As are Genesis, by the way. Maybe I've started with a bad album (Argus), but sometimes too much acoustic is not such a good thing.

So far Maiden have used the acoustic arrangement wisely (bar the occasional unnecessary intro, e. g. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, where after two minutes an utterly different song starts).

By the way, it would be great to see Journeyman live. However, I'm afraid that "the songs that we do are oft interred with their albums". :)

I meant that instead of always having a slow, acoustic intro, there should be more heavy intros and an acoustic part somewhere in the middle or at the end. And Maiden has had at least one mostly acoustic Tears Of The Dragon type song on their last 4 albums. Blood Brothers, Journeyman, Out Of The Shadows, and Coming Home.

Whilst not acoustic as such, Rime and SSOASS both start heavy and have a softer mid-section. Out of the Shadows starts heavy then goes acoustic if I recall? Even if just a few bars (been a while since I listened). They sure are using the whole acoustic intro/outro thing a fair bit lately though, particularly when Janick is writing ;)

Prodigal Son is one of my favourites, and it shows that acoustic guitars don't have to be played slowly! I can imagine a heavy number that suddenly breaks into a speedy Janick acoustic strum and then takes off again from there.

I think with three guitars there's scope to experiment more with acoustic vs. electric, and a wide array of tones, all in one song. More tracks like The Legacy please!

The coolest thing about Maiden is the way they integrate acoustic arrangements along with power chords. The best example of this for me is Revelations. To me, it's a perfect blend of both and comes across very passionate. Not to mention the lyrics are some of the deepest they've ever done...

I would love to hear an acoustic ballad type song from them as long as they keep a macabre theme to it. Then again, given the average length of a Maiden song, I don't think I could stomach an 11 minute acoustic version of anything! :)

Back