50 greatest metal albums

I'm most interested in covers when the new version is substantially different from the original. In this respect, most of DT's version of TNOTB fails: 7 out 8 songs are virtually note-for-note, as I recall. (Haven't listened to it in a while, so not sure about the solos, but the rest certainly is.) However, "Gangland" rocks! (Or to be more precise, it swings.)

the list in the OP isn't great, but not for the reasons you people listed. lol @ dance of death being in any musical top 50

chankpop said:
Reality check --> Tierra Santa isn't actually all that great. 

go listen to Mago De Oz.  preferably the 2 gaia albums, finisterra and Belfast. 
These guys also covered "IM - Strange World" although not the greatest of covers.  The best maiden cover was DT covering the the #of the beast album.

Reality check---> That is your OPINION. Tierra Santa and Mago de Oz are very different bands, one being an obvious Maiden Clone, but coming into their own in their later albums and Mago de Oz being very progressive. The subject matter they cover is also different. To me they are both great in their own fields. I purchased "Mejor Morir en Pie" a few days after posting my last comment on this board and it is full of completely original material (I don't think retelling greek myths is all that original) and I like it. It is different, but a step in a new, bold direction for them.

as far as mago de oz discography. Gaia is only ONE album. It is a BOOK that tells the story of a native indian that encounters the Spanish conquistadors. it comes with a DVD also, but only ONE cd. Finisterra is their only double album and in MY opinion their best by far, but all their stuff is really good. Jesus the Chamberi has a very interesting twist on the second coming.

Those Death albums should be waaaaaaay closer to the top 10, preferable even in the top 10 :p

Back