3 best sounding albums you own

Cars can sound great. But Cried is right that they can never, ever provide a reference grade sound experience. There is a shit ton of reflection going on, especially in the higher end, where the sound bounces on and off the windshield. I have a great system in my car, but it does sound quite harsh because of all the reflections. Then there's the inherited problems with the with the placement of woofers and the tweeters etc. But again, car sound systems can sound great.

How many people around here actually have state of the art sound systems?
Depends on where you draw the line, but I've got an acoustically treated room with Genelec 8020s, plus a decent set of Monitor Audio speakers in the living room.

Depends on where you draw the line, but I've got an acoustically treated room with Genelec 8020s, plus a decent set of Monitor Audio speakers in the living room.
That's at least one person, then!

I would have thought the vast majority of people have common or garden sound systems, so making comparisons about the finer points of audio experience at home vs in their car doesn't mean much.

I'm not sure what that means -- one could theoretically spend $250K or more on a home sound system, and certainly some folks in the world have. My setup cost less than 1/100th of that and was marketed as "entry-level audiophile" when I bought it about 8-10 years ago. Not just a few inexpensive Sony components like I previously had, but not over-the-top either. Still, one doesn't need an expensive sound system to tell if a recording sounds good or sounds crappy. Even in my car, the difference between, say, the original Maiden CDs from the 1980s and the 1998 remasters is night and day. And Death Magnetic sounds bad on literally everything.

My set up is similar to cornfed hick's, hi-fi seperates but only "entry level", most listening is done on my commute though so thanks to covid I've been able to enjoy the hi-fi a bit more these days

That's at least one person, then!

I would have thought the vast majority of people have common or garden sound systems, so making comparisons about the finer points of audio experience at home vs in their car doesn't mean much.
It can. There are a lot of perfectly adequate 200$ headphones.

For some people, $100 is a lot of money. I lived on approximately $150 a week for a very long time.

Edit: after rent/utilities.

For some people, $100 is a lot of money. I lived on approximately $150 a week for a very long time.

Yes, it can be, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I'm talking relative price point.

Most definitely not. Apple Airpods are what, 200?
It's consumer upper mid level. It's not the cheapest, but still very much sub entry audiophile price level.
If you're either wealthy and consider it the norm to spend a lot on electronics, or consider expensive headphones essential for listening to music, which is definitely moving into audiophile territory. I'd be surprised if I've even spent the equivalent of $20 on headphones before.

Without getting into what's state of the art and what's not, and detailing out what I have, my absolutely least used piece of equipment is a 250euro headphone system (Sehnheiser + amp). I use them only for monitoring and that's seldom.

If you consider it like this - I have just 100 to spare, should I buy headphones, then no. If it's your hobby then it becomes way more involved. You'd know what headphones to get, when to get them at a bargain and then you'd come up with the money somehow.

I spent 80% of a monthly paycheck on the Gallien Krueger amp. There simply weren't many used on the European market, so when one came up in the States with a fair price and the owner actually willing to sell to Europe, I had to buy it.

If you're either wealthy and consider it the norm to spend a lot on electronics, or consider expensive headphones essential for listening to music, which is definitely moving into audiophile territory. I'd be surprised if I've even spent the equivalent of $20 on headphones before.

Well if you're into classical music for example, good luck with $20 headphones.

How about £5 headphones? That's my point. A heck of a lot of people just spend with the intention of sound quality, they just want to hear a tune. I'd consider $20 a bit fancy.

Back