27th November 2006 - 's-Hertogenbosch (Den Bosch) – NETHERLANDS

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Today is the day of the one and only gig in the Benelux! It's sold out! I am looking forward to it.

I Just found out that the capacity of the Brabanthallen for this gig is 14.500 people.
That's more people than the Ahoy venue in Rotterdam, where Maiden gave their last 3 indoor concerts in the Netherlands (1998, 1999 and 2003). As told before, in 1992 Maiden played in the Brabanthallen as well (my first gig ever! :) )

It was for me the best Iron Maiden show I've visited so far!
It was very exciting to see and hear how the new songs sound live. The whole show was very impressive! The last three songs from The Matter... sounded fantastic. The same goes for Brighter... and These Colours (great instrumental parts!). And Out of the Shadows sounded also surprisingly strong!
During the The Matter of Life and Death-part of the set, I was just mostly observing (and from time to time taking photos). I guess the same went for the rest of the audience. Only when Fear of The Dark started, everyone went totally crazy! But the overall atmosphere was really great, and I definitely don't want to imply that the rest of the set was not received enthusiastically. It was just a different reaction, since it all was new.
At my previous Maiden shows, I have always experienced stupid, aggressive and rude behaviour. People hitting each other with elbows, beer splashing all over the audience, very aggressive pits, ice and water thrown at Bruce and the stage, etc. This time the whole atmosphere was way more friendly, and people were truly enjoying the show.
We've missed Lauren Harris (because of the traffic jams... :/). But Trivium was really powerful! Definitely one of the nicest (recent) Maiden-support bands. And you could see that the audience also appreaciated their material. No Maiden-screams and boo-calls during their set, just like it was the case with Funeral for my friend or other strange supports.
I have managed to take some photos. Some better, some worse. We'll try to upload them later.
We've also bought the tourbook and a longsleeve - nice souvenirs from a great Maiden experience!! :)

I'm curious about other reactions!

You'd forgotten the spoiler tags, Marta. I've corrected it.  :halo:

Thanks for your review!  :ok:

Bruce had some problems with high notes, but later on it went better, perhaps because his voice was warmed up.

I was happy with the 2 big screens. A great addition for people who are far from the stage.

The Eddies were amazing. The walking Eddie walked fast(!) and even made a salute to the crowd before it went off. Fantastic!

Adrian did the opening riff of 2 Minutes to Midnight.

Benjamin Breeg and Out of the Shadows are very nice live songs and personally I thought that Breeg was even the highlight of the "new set".

Other highlights were Lord of Light (check Adrian play those aggressive notes right after his solo!), The Legacy (the acoustic intro brought shivers to my spine!)

An excellent show to remember and for me the best since the Brave New World Tour !

In my opinion the new Eddie was ugly, especially how they did his mouth. Maybe that from far you won't notice but in the front row...
The show was also disappointing compared to their previous two tours but the new album was the highlight for me I didn't care for the classics at all.

Djaser said:
In my opinion the new Eddie was ugly, especially how they did his mouth. Maybe that from far you won't notice but in the front row...
The show was also disappointing compared to their previous two tours but the new album was the highlight for me I didn't care for the classics at all.

In what way was the show disappointing? You missed Bruce's cape and mask and the running soldiers of Paschendale?

Sneaky, would it surprise anyone that songs from the new album were played on the album promotion tour or that classic songs were played?

Forostar said:
In what way was the show disappointing? You missed Bruce's cape and mask and the running soldiers of Paschendale?
Something like that would have been nice, yes. The stage looked also looked quite boring.

Djaser said:
Sneaky, would it surprise anyone that songs from the new album were played on the album promotion tour or that classic songs were played?
Of course not.  But you mentioned the
whole album ;)

I've been at that gig as well, and what shall I say? It was a great first show on that tour for me, even if problems with my mate's car made getting there a bit of an adventure and made me arrive late so I didn't have the opportunity to use my "first to the barrier" wristbands for that gig.
Ah well, I watched it from a little further back, and even there Lauren is damn cute ;)

Thanks to Tom (Argarath) for letting me stay at his place. And no, before you ask Mav, we didn't have any sausages :p

Hey folks, maybe I'm wrong but is it still necessary to put spoiler tags?? Steve Harris already mentioned the setlist for the most part on the official website during an interview. I guess lighting, stage and eddie .....sure. But as far as the set is concerned , I think it's pretty much out.

From Rod's diary:

On Monday the 27th it was back on the plane to Den Bosch – 14,000 sold out months ago and the biggest indoor show we have done in Holland.

Here a set of photos of this gig. Use full screen -> easier to scroll within the spoIler tags

MaidenDenBosch5.jpg

MaidenDenBosch7.jpg

MaidenDenBosch8.jpg

MaidenDenBosch9.JPG

MaidenDenBosch10.jpg

MaidenDenBosch11.jpg

MaidenDenBosch12.jpg

MaidenDenBosch14.jpg

MaidenDenBosch22.jpg

MaidenDenBosch24.jpg

Back