25th October 2006 - Tokyo Budokan - Japan

yakulto

Prowler
Literally just got back from Maiden's show at Tokyo's Budokan.  What can I say, 14,000 Japanese fans went nuts (by Japanese standards) for the entire show.

Lauren Harris opened the show but pretty much played as most people were still entering the venue (including myself) so I only saw the last couple of songs.  She got a typically polite Japanese reception from the crowd though.

Then it was the turn of the band we all came to see.  Well, what can I say that hasn't been said in other reports from the North-American leg?  Not a lot really.  Set list as per other dates.

The band were on top form, especially Bruce, who hit almost all of the high notes as per the orignals.  He also knew EXACTLY how to rock a Japanese audience (ie. give them lots of prompts of what to do, clapping along with the song etc, as spontenaity is not the Japanese person's stong point, plus they don't understand a great deal of English).  The total recital of AMOLAD went down pretty well, with a suprising number of fans singing along, given the lyrical complexity of the new album.  When it got to Fear of the Dark the crowd went mental and it was full Maiden karaoke from then on until Hallowed be thy name closed the show.  The only slight disappointment was that they kept the house lights down for a while after HBTN and illuminated the stage backdrop again to give the impression that a second encore was imminent, but alas it never came.

Stage set was fantastic, the tank, well, what can I say, other than phenomenal.  Special mention must go to the two spot lights that flanked either side of the stage which Bruce used to point at the crowd and get them hyped up - great for involving all parts of the arena.

As a side point, Bruce ripped a video camera from some guy in the press pit during one of the first few songs, and threw it across the stage.  The camera man didn't look best pleased (he wasn't Japanese).  Not sure what all that was about.

All in all one of the best concerts I've been to for a long time.  And I'll get to do it all again on Saturday at the Tokyo International Forum, albeit with better tickets (the Tokyo Forum holds around 5000 people and is an extra date due to the success of the Budokan ticket sales).  I was up on the second floor at the Budokan, but it didn't really matter as there really isn't a bad seat in the house as it's designed for watching martial arts with all parts of the place having a good view (it's octagonal in shape).

Thank you Maiden for a fantastic night.  Though I can hardly speak due to singing and shouting too much.  Good times!

Thank you.  I didn't expect to read a review of one of the Japanese shows. It's good to see that there are Japanese fans here.

yakulto said:
What can I say, 14,000 Japanese fans went nuts (by Japanese standards) for the entire show.

It looks like I was wrong on the capacity of the Budokan.  It's official capacity is listed as around 14,000 but from reading Rod's diaries he seems to think it's 8,000 (and if anyone would know how many people were there it would be him!).  I forgot to figure that a third or so of the seating area is blocked off by the stage.  Just thought I'd correct myself anyway.

yakulto said:
It looks like I was wrong on the capacity of the Budokan.  It's official capacity is listed as around 14,000 but from reading Rod's diaries he seems to think it's 8,000 (and if anyone would know how many people were there it would be him!).  I forgot to figure that a third or so of the seating area is blocked off by the stage.  Just thought I'd correct myself anyway.

Hi yakulto, do you happen to know someone who witnessed the Hiroshima show ?
I am curious for a (non-Japanese ;) ) review on that one.

Thanks and greetings !

Forostar said:
Hi yakulto, do you happen to know someone who witnessed the Hiroshima show ?

Hey Forostar.

No, don't know anyone down in that neck of the woods. 
But I'd imagine they played exactly the same set, though as you mentioned on another post, it would be interesting to hear how Bruce introduced BTATS.  There is no more poignant venue in the world for a performance of that song than Hiroshima (except for maybe Nagasaki).  To be honest though, even if he did try to explain anything, I doubt that 90% of the audience would be able to understand what he was saying.

A few more Budokan related things for those interested.

Here's a link to a floor map of the venue:

http://t.pia.co.jp/kaijo/map_plain/NBDO.htm

I was in the second floor/upper tier area in the South East stand (near the SE2-2 entrance).  Obviously, the three sides of the Budokan behind the stage (the North-West, North and North-East stands) were closed off hence the reduction from 14,000 capacity to 8,000 for the show.

And also a picture of the main entrance of the Budokan on show night.  Didn't get any pictures inside as I was too busy enjoying the show.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Back