22, Acacia Avenue

How good is 22, Acacia Avenue on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on '22 Acacia Avenue' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Number Of The Beast' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'22, Acacia Avenue'

There are 9 streets in and around [a href=\'http://www.londontown.com/LondonStreets/acacia_avenue_f23.html?#other\' target=\'_blank\']London[/a] named Acacia Avenue (and one in [a href=\'http://cracker.com.au/classifieds/melbourne/real_estate/buy/dom2004343162.aspx?title=14+acacia+avenue+-+4+bed+2+bath+2+car+\' target=\'_blank\']Melbourne[/a]).
None of them is located in the East End, however, most are in the southern or western areas of Greater London. One is in the northern borough of Haringey. It appears to be a rather common English-language street name (posters from English-speaking countries can surely confirm this), so it is likely that the band picked it randomly, probably to conceal the real street (imagine what it would be like if there would really be this specific 22 Acacia Avenue adress!).
On an interesting side note, there is also a [a href=\'http://www.knowhere.co.uk/board/kb446/\' target=\'_blank\']Charlotte Street[/a] in Whitechapel, one of the most famous districts in London's East End (also the place where Jack the Ripper was active, so obviously the district has its hookers).
There is also a Charlotte Street Hotel in London, but it's located in (or near to) the West End area of Soho.

'22, Acacia Avenue'

A great song, very interesting lyrics and lots of changes in speed and rhythm. One of the best songs on the album and a real classic. I bet today you would have to pay a bit more than 15 quid, though.

'22, Acacia Avenue'

Can anyone put here the lyrics of the 22 Cheese Shop incident ?

I searched the commentary but I didn´t find it...

'22, Acacia Avenue'

[!--QuoteBegin-MigDaimon+Aug 25 2004, 07:42 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(MigDaimon @ Aug 25 2004, 07:42 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Can anyone put here the lyrics of the 22 Cheese Shop incident ?

I searched the commentary but I didn´t find it...
[snapback]84518[/snapback]​
[/quote]
The lyrics are actually transcribed on the [a href=\'http://www.maiden666.com/main/maiden3.php?page=../cheese/cheese\' target=\'_blank\']Iron Maiden Norway[/a] website. Here's what is written there:

Bruce: "I changed the lyrics to 22 Acacia Ave. so it was a song about a cheese shop!"

This is the maddest shit I have ever heard! For those who don't have the Kerrang! magazine yet, this is a quote from Bruce when he was speaking about how the World Slavery Tour nearly destroyed him. It drove him so crazy that he changed the lyrics to 22 Acacia Avenue so that it was a song about a cheese shop... and sang them on stage as well!

Gig addiction:
The gig in question was at Pietra Ligure Football Stadium 22-8-84.

This was only about 10 dates into the tour,so i doubt it was "burn out" that made him change the lyrics.

I think it was a dig at the crowd. "It wasn't just the length of the tour,because i was pretty fit then, but we were playing places where people didn't seem to care that much about metal or Maiden: we were just another circus act going through town.I hated that.To a certain extent we were all taking the piss a bit at that stage because it was like,"if these people dont care about what we do,why should WE give a shit?"

Thermos Flask:
No I think it was because he kept on incorrectly introducing the "Iron Maiden" song, and he said (in reference to the Monty Python sketch) "This is no way to run a cheese shop" and changed all the lyrics for a laugh.

Bruce's intro to that song was:

"Thank you! Thank you! ah... Right I'd buy you all a drink if I had the money but I haven't so you'll have to buy me one this is a song called THE IRON MAIDEN! No no, bollocks to all that, just a minute, it's a joke it's a joke, this is no way to run a cheese shop 22 ACACIA AVENUE!"Bruce's intro to that song was: "Thank you! Thank you! ah... Right I'd buy you all a drink if I had the money but I haven't so you'll have to buy me one this is a song called THE IRON MAIDEN! No no, bollocks to all that, just a minute, it's a joke it's a joke, this is no way to run a cheese shop 22 ACACIA AVENUE!"

If you're feeling down depressed and lonely
I know a place where we can go
22 Acacia Avenue, meet a lady that I know
So any time you're down the cheese shop
and you're prepared to pay the price
You can take my honest word for it
Wensleydale is all she's got

If you're waiting for a long time
for the rest to do buy their cheese
You can betcha there's some Stilton
Waiting for the pies & cream
don't you hesitate to buy
she'll teach you more than you can cook

Charlotte can't you get out of all this cheese shop
Don't you see it only brings you bad breath
When you're walking down the street
Everybody stops and thinks of cheese

Some day when you're reaching the age of mature cheddar
I bet you'll regret the days when you were making cheese
Nobody then will want to know, you won't have any beautiful wares to show any more

22, you've gotta buy some cheddar!
You're just waiting in the line

You will find it's green inside
The red lights burning bright tonight
Charlotte isn't it time you stopped this cheese shop?
Don't you ever think about joining the bakery?

Sometimes when you're strolling down the Avenue
The way you walk it makes men think of buying cheese
When you're walking down the street, everybody stops and turns to stare it's true

22, the Avenue, that's the place to buy some cheese
You will find it's warm inside,
the red lights burning bright tonight

Beat it, mistreat it,
Whip it a bit in an egg
Bite it, mash it,
Fry it and put it on bread
Abuse it, misuse it,
Cheese can take all that you've got
Caress it, ha! molest it,
Cheese always does what you want

HAHAHAHA!! Fucked it up!
(Solo: Dave Murray)

You're running that cheese don't you know what you're doing?
Can't you see it'll lead you to ruin
Charlotte you've taken your cheese and you've thrown it away
You believe that because what you're earning
You can buy cheese to live and to burn it
Don't you know that your breath is gonna smell bad?
All the men and cheese you've been dating
There's no holes in the holes you've been baking
The holes in cheese are starting to smell

(Solo: Adrian Smith)

'22, Acacia Avenue'

Yeah I remember writing them out for the Maiden BB then Maiden Norway asked me to put it on their site.

It's actually quite a good gig, good sound quality (some say it's bad but I disagreee) and it's rather easy to get so I highly recommend it, although if you do get it make sure you get Doin' My Complete Job which is two discs rather than the incomplete but more common Doin' My Job 1 disc recording (though both have the complete Cheese shop thing on them)

'22, Acacia Avenue'

a decent track this one. Not one of my favourites though. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad track, but I like most of the other NOTB songs alot more. I'd give it a 3,5 in relation to the rest of the album.

'22, Acacia Avenue'

I gave it four stars. You can tell that the lyrics were written by a young man: "You can tell her that you know me, you might even get it free". "It's no life for you, stop all that screwing, you're packing your bags and you're coming with me". The song really has drama.
Edit: Both solos are excellent. Dave is so smooth and full of feeling [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] . Adrian in the end just gives me the shivers.

'22, Acacia Avenue'

Actually the lyrics are (same version as above but corrected by meself) [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] :

If you're feeling down depressed and lonely
I know a place where we can go
22 Acacia Avenue, meet a lady that I know
don't you wait to buy some cheese
Wensleydale is all she's got

If you're waiting for a long time
for the rest to do buy their cheese
You can betcha there's some Stilton
Waiting for the pies & cream
don't you hesitate to buy
she'll teach you more than you can cook

Charlotte can't you get out of all this cheese shop
Don't you see it only brings you bad breath

Some day when you're reaching the age of mature cheddar
I bet you'll regret the days when you were making cheese
Nobody then will want to know, you won't have any beautiful wares to show any more

22, you've gotta buy some cheddar!
You're just waiting in the line

You will find it's green inside
The red lights burning bright tonight
Charlotte isn't it time you stopped this cheese shop?
Don't you ever think about joining the bakery?

Sometimes when you're strolling down the Avenue
The way you walk it makes men think of buying cheese
When you're walking down the street, everybody stops and turns to stare it's true

22, the Avenue, that's the place to buy some cheese
You will find it's got cheese inside,
the red lights burning bright tonight

Beat it, mistreat it,
Whip it a bit in an egg
Bite it, mash it,
Fry it and put it on bread
Abuse it, misuse it,
Cheese can take all that you've got
Caress it, ha! molest it,
It always does what you want

HAHAHAHA!! Fucked it up!
(solo by Dave Murray)

You're running that cheese don't you know what you're doing?
Can't you see it'll lead you to ruin
Charlotte you've taken your cheese and you've thrown it away
You believe that because what you're earning
You can buy cheese to live and to burn it
Don't you know that your breath is gonna smell bad?
All the men and cheese you've been dating
There's no holes in the holes you've been baking
The holes in cheese are starting to smell

(solo by Adrian Smith)

Enjoy the cheese.... [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Cheers

'22, Acacia Avenue'

Enjoy the cheese, embrace the cheese, understand the cheese. Then eat it. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Anyone heard Dark Tranquility's cover of this song? I don't know what to make of it? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'22, Acacia Avenue'

Yeah, it's easy to see a young man wrote this. The lyrics aren't as good as I'd like, but they have surprisingly good emotional impact, making you feel sorry for Charlotte. 4/5.

'22, Acacia Avenue'

I gave it 5 stars. The song seems to not be underrated as much as it is overlooked. It's the little things that make this song, the riff that kicks in after "more than you can know", the chords in the chorus, the tempo change at the solo, I'm amazed by this one. 22 Acacia Avenue seems to be more musically competent than HBTN, but not as "epic" in the feel. This could be the album's best song.

Daily Song: 22, Acacia Avenue

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: 22, Acacia Avenue

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

When I first heard this song, I wasn't very impressed. Unlike others on The Number of the Beast, it took quite awhile to click with me. Now I like it rather a lot, but I wouldn't rank it as superb. 8/10.

Re: Daily Song: 22, Acacia Avenue

Another really good song. A bit darker than its predecessor from the debut album, and also a much better composition. However not one of the top 3 from the album, so I'll go with the same grade. 8/10.

It's a nice song, but not among the best on the album.  I would like to give it 8, but I just gave The Prisoner 8.  I couldn't give The Prisoner 9, because I gave Children of the Damned 9.  And I can't give Children of the Damned 10, because Hallowed gets 10.  Each of those songs has enough of a difference to warrant a different number, so Acacia Avenue gets a 7.

A cute song, but not exactly what I'd call a classic. The verses are good but the everything else lacks a "magical touch" imo. The solos are pretty good tho.

I'd say 7/10 since there are at least 4 better songs.

My third fave on the album. I like the solid downstroking intro and always found this song superior to Children of the Damned, prefer the chorus and the way Bruce sings it almost with a suspicious sounding voice. 8

Agreed with LooseCannon, I didn't like this song when I first heard it, but it has grown on me since. It's not brilliant, but it's definitely not filler. 7/10 from me.

Back