2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil

Who said it was all a matter of chance? Just because nothing in football is a foregone conclusion, that doesn't mean you can't predict the most likely outcome of a match/tournament. Saying that upsets can happen, is hardly the same thing as saying that everything is down to chance...
Upsets happen for a reason...

Upsets happen for a reason...

Of course, but I never suggested otherwise. I certainly wouldn't have predicted that Italy would go out in the group stages of the last world cup, but they did. That, and other previous upsets certainly won't stop me from making predictions on future matches though. lol

So? I only predicted that Italy will go through. Why shouldn't I make predictions? lol

So? I only predicted that Italy will go through. Why shouldn't I make predictions? lol

Where did I say that you (or anyone else for that matter) can't make predictions? I didn't say anything even remotely resembling that... :\

England's warm-up matches haven't been great either: last night they drew 0-0 with 10-man Honduras and a 2-2 draw with Ecuador on Wednesday. Hardly scintillating form. :)

Italy might not be a reliable force, but England is far from one. That's why Italy are the favorites to reach 2nd round.

Where did I say that you (or anyone else for that matter) can't make predictions? I didn't say anything even remotely resembling that... :\
No, you just stated the obvious by saying that upsets have happened before. Yeah, we're all aware of that. But why should that happen to Italy? Why not any of the others? Just give me one reason why Italy are more likely to fail than any of the rest.

No, you just stated the obvious by saying that upsets have happened before. Yeah, we're all aware of that. But why should that happen to Italy? Why not any of the others? Just give me one reason why Italy are more likely to fail than any of the rest.

First of all, that comment was a general statement, I wasn't just talking about Italy. I also mentioned Greece and France in the same comment. And all I said was "You can never be totally sure how a match will pan out", which wasn't even directed at you, and nor was it even a reference to Italy in particular. I was talking about the World Cup and football in general, and why I find it so exciting. You've read way, way, too much into that comment...

Everybody watch out for Italy! Last Wednesday:

Italy 1 Luxembourg 1

I wouldn't worry about Italy's results now... But I have no doubts they will go through.

The saying is, football's a funny old game, and that's certainly true. You can never be totally sure how a match will pan out, and that's what makes it so exciting... Should Italy go through this time? Absolutely. But it's definitely not a foregone conclusion.

Funny, sounds like you were referring to Italy. Whatever.

Funny, sounds like you were referring to Italy. Whatever.

Even though I quoted nobody, mentioned two other teams in the same comment, and was talking about the World Cup in general? No-one else took that comment personally, and I have no idea why you did...

It really does not sound like she was saying that Italy had the most chance to become a part of an upset, Ariana.

These friendlies shouldn't be taken into account because all players are scared of getting injured and they all avoid dangerous tackles. World Cup will be way different.

Alright. So it's my bad I hadn't realised how general the conversation was. I apologise. Let me try to stay in line with the tone - in football, sometimes people get sent off. Obvious enough?

It really does not sound like she was saying that Italy had the most chance to become a part of an upset, Ariana.

I also said in the same comment "Should Italy go through this time? Absolutely. But it's definitely not a foregone conclusion." That was basically me predicting that Italy were going to go through, yet she accuses me of saying people shouldn't be predicting that Italy will go through? I don't understand the reasoning behind that attack at all.

These friendlies shouldn't be taken into account because all players are scared of getting injured and they all avoid dangerous tackles. World Cup will be way different.

Yep, friendlies shouldn't be taken into account. They're rarely an indicator of a team's true form pre-tournament.

Alright. So it's my bad I hadn't realised how general the conversation was. I apologise. Let me try to stay in line with the tone - in football, sometimes people get sent off. Obvious enough?

What about calming down?

Agreed. Especially the ones played with a non-World Cup team, because those teams have nothing to do lose. No leagues going on, no tournament to be prepared for, etc.

Yeah, with the way friendlies work, I am surprised anyone here is taking them seriously. They aren't even tune-up games, half of the squad for the World Cup isn't even on the pitch usually.

It all starts soon.

Back