2 Minutes to Midnight

How good is 2 Minutes to Midnight on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Here’s a song where the live performances can’t improve upon the original. As cool as it was hearing that fucking riff live, the studio version is already perfection and the boys overplay it on stage without nearly the energy captured here in ‘84. The studio version is just stunning! Bruce’s performance is a bit of a breather after “Aces High”, but he really nails it. The solos are once again top notch, and I love the breakdown before the main riff returns. Lyrically, this one is intense, a scorching attack on how we as people view war. Awesome song. 10/10

After the disappointing Aces High we move on to a true classic. This song has it all: Great performances, stellar lyrics, amazing melodies, a mesmerizing middle section, interesting pacing with the slower pre-choruses before launching into the legendary chorus (with the lovely vocal harmonies). Especially love the live version of this song where the post solo section really comes alive.

I remember as a kid rewinding the Live After Death casette back to this song to listen to it over and over again. 9.

I find it interesting how the main riff in it has one of the most common chord progression (specially in Rock/Metal).

Below I've tried listing the songs which I feel similar (there may be more!). Although, I still find the opening notes to 2 Minutes the most badass!

Black Sabbath - Megalomania
KISS - Makin' Love
Riot - Swords And Tequila
Mercyful Fate - Curse Of The Pharaohs
Dio - Standup And Shout
Grave Digger - Heavy Metal Breakdown
Armored Saint - Can U Deliver
Keel - Speed Demon
Dokken - Lightnin' Strikes Again
Judas Priest - Between The Hammer And The Anvil
Kyuss - Green Machine
Saxon - Bloodletter

Pretty sure there's more songs by Saxon, Judas Priest and even one by Venom

Last edited:
I find it interesting how the main riff in it has one of the most common chord progression (specially in Rock/Metal).

Below I've tried listing the songs which I feel similar (there may be more!). Although, I still find the opening notes to 2 Minutes the most badass!

Black Sabbath - Megalomania
KISS - Makin' Love
Riot - Swords And Tequila
Mercyful Fate - Curse Of The Pharaohs
Dio - Standup And Shout
Grave Digger - Heavy Metal Breakdown
Armored Saint - Can U Deliver
Keel - Speed Demon
Dokken - Lightnin' Strikes Again
Judas Priest - Between The Hammer And The Anvil
Kyuss - Green Machine
Saxon - Bloodletter

Pretty sure there's more songs by Saxon, Judas Priest and even one by Venom
Janick did it first on a White Spirit song...

Back