1988: SSoaSS or O:M or AJFA?

1988: SSoaSS or O:M or AJFA?

• Total voters
Operation: Mindcrime. Best concept album ever, even if I love SSOASS to death too. AJFA is underwhelming.

All three are amazing albums, and Operation: Mindcrime is a masterpiece of a concept album but Seventh Son is definitely my favorite. Many great memories and very powerful. Seventh Son is indeed a masterpiece! :edmetal:

At the time my favourite was Operation: Mindcrime. Obviously I loved 7th Son as well, but O:M was the stronger concept album of the two.

Thirty years later - 7th Son is my favourite. The songs, the playing, and the production are all amazing. It sounds timeless whereas O:M is a bit dated.

Both incredible albums of course :)

And Justice for All......Meh.

Imagine changing Operation: Mindcrime for South of Heaven. Then that would be a great poll.

Seventh Son for me, from that. But And Justice isn't far behind.

I saw Queensryche open for Metallica on the Justice tour in the same venue that I saw the Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour. Whatever that its worth.

A bunch of great albums from 1988:
Them-King Diamond
The New Order-Testament
So Far, So Good....-Megadeth
Frolic Through the Park-Death Angel

Are we talking 1989 or 2018?

Probably loved Mindcrime more back then. Now its probably ...Justice. But there was a time when SS was my favorite Maiden album. Now its probably more in the middle.

I know this is blasphemy, but Mindcrime is underwhelming IMO. It took me a long time to appreciate AJFA. SS has always been a classic for me since day one of its release.

I saw Queensryche open for Metallica on the Justice tour in the same venue that I saw the Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour. Whatever that its worth.

A bunch of great albums from 1988:
Them-King Diamond
The New Order-Testament
So Far, So Good....-Megadeth
Frolic Through the Park-Death Angel

The year 1988 was truly a great year for metal. All great albums.

The year 1988 was truly a great year for metal. All great albums.

try picking one from 1986........ THAT was the year for metal

Darkness Descends - my favorite thrash album
Reign in Blood -
Somewhere in Time - favorite Maiden album
Master of Puppets -
Constrictor - favorite Alice Cooper album
Peace Sells but Who's Buying -
Pleasure to Kill -
Slippery when Wet -
Turbo -
Power and Pain -

try picking one from 1986........ THAT was the year for metal

Darkness Descends - my favorite thrash album
Reign in Blood -
Somewhere in Time - favorite Maiden album
Master of Puppets -
Constrictor - favorite Alice Cooper album
Peace Sells but Who's Buying -
Pleasure to Kill -
Slippery when Wet -
Turbo -
Power and Pain -
Definitely another great year for metal. Also in 1986 we had Ozzy's Ultimate Sin album and Megadeth's Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? One year later Dio released Dream Evil, another great album

I know this is blasphemy, but Mindcrime is underwhelming IMO. It took me a long time to appreciate AJFA.
I only like one song off mindcrime the rest are a waste of space. And justice is my least favourite of the thrash albums Metallica did. It is highly repedative and just drones on and on. Those two albums are a poor choice to put up next to seventh son

Mindcrime is possibly my favourite ever album, it’s just faultless and a masterpiece, settling the bar so high QR could never top it. Have seen it performed live, you either get it or you don’t.

Top metal albums of 1988 (in order of my preference)

1: Fates Warning: No Exit
2: Helloween: Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2
3: Voivod Dimension Hatross
4: Queensryche Operation Mindcrime
5: Iron Maiden Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (I only have great love for Infinite Dreams and the title track)
6: Judas Priest Ram It Down
7: Metallica And Justice For All (I will admit however that the song cycle starting with Shortest Straw and ending with Dyers Eve is fantastic)
8: Anthrax: State of Euphoria (had Among The Living been released in 1988, it would tie with Operation Mindcrime for 4th place, barely edging out Seventh Son

This album from 1988 is a real ass-kicker:

Thundersteel_cover.jpg

When it comes to Riot people are generally familiar with "Fire Down Under" but I think ThunderSteel easily kicks its ass.

Back