1977-78 Keyboard PLAYERS Mystery - Steve looked for another after Tony Moore

Baztac

Invader
Steve Harris insisted that he tried the Keyboards once and decided that it was not right for the band. However 6 months after Tony Moore left and 4 months after Dennis Wilcock's departure Steve advertises for a keyboard player in Melody Maker on 19 August 1978.At the time Steve had been rehearsing with Dave Murray and Doug Sampson and were yet to find a singer (they would meet up with Paul Dianno at the bank holiday weekend at the end of August with Paul joining the band in early September 1978).

The advert for Tony Moore must have appeared in Melody Maker around the end of August or September 1977 after Maiden had played the Half Moon Theatre on 22 August 1977 probably featuring Terry Wapram on guitar. This gig may have been Ron Rebel Matthews last gig with the band.

The band place the advert looking for both a drummer and a Keyboardist.

The general consensus is the band played the Brdigehouse in November 1977. However no records exist to prove this. I believe the band played with Tony on the 15 February 1978 when they supported Dogwatch.

Firstly the band placed a large advert in Melody Maker on 21 January 1978 stating that they were back. If they had just gone back to being a 4 piece it is unlikely they would have advertised like that.

Secondly Tony Moore owned a Wurlitzer Piano when he was with the band. ON the 2 February 1978 the bands gear was stolen which included a Wurlitzer Piano.

The band had to cancel at least 2 shows because of the theft. However they wanted to get back out playing so managed to arrange the gig with Dogwatch and borrow some of their gear.

Just before the gig, the equipment was recovered, but they still borrowed Dogwatch's Drums and amps and as we all know the gig did not go as planned.

Tony did not leave the band right after the gig. However he was thinking over his options. At this time the Damned were just splitting up and played their last gig on 11 Feb 1978 and cancelled gigs just after this date stating that a "radical new act" was in the process of being put together. It would be about this time that Brian James was going to start to put Tanz Der Youth together. Tony was still in

the band when he auditioned for the badn and had to tell steve that he was going to join Tanz Der Youth.

Once Tony left, the band would not play until April 1978. Around the end of March 1978 Steve sees Dave Murray playing with Urchin at the Brecknock and manages to convince him to come back and join Maiden.

It is probably around this point that Terry is not happy with a second guitarist and leaves the band.

A series of gigs are planned on the 6 April at Green Man, Plumstead, 7 April at Cart & Horses and 8 April at the Bridgehouse. It would probably be the Green man gig on the 6 April that Dennis failed to show up and the band (Steve, Dave and Barry) may have played as a three piece. Dennis may have failed to show up because of the tension of Dave Murrays return and Terry Waprams leaving.

Dennis and Barry Purkis (Thunderstick) play their last gig with Maiden at the Bridgehouse on the 8 April 1978.

Steve and Dave are then left when Steve gets back in touch with Doug Sampson and they rehearse over the summer, tightening up the arrangements and also perhaps speeding them up.

Then in August and without a singer Steve advertises for a keyboard player? I asked Doug Sampson about it but he couldn't remember anything about it but he thinks he would have been against the idea at the time.

Two weeks later they meet Paul Dianno. I am guessing that when Steve heard Paul sing he knew the band would sound better with a second

guitarist. They would then have advertised and eventually brought Paul Cairns in and go onto record the Soundhouse Tapes. But that has already been discussed at length elsewhere.

I am still trying to find more evidence to back up my theories on this.

Excellent, baztac. You should put all your findings and gatherings up in chronological order. Even if some things are not 100% sure, because some members don't remember it or don't speak about it, it's nice to know what would have been likely. Logical reasoning and searching in papers means a lot.

That second pic --> "NO IDIOTS" very funny! :)

Very nice.
Actually I made a mistake, it was revised in late 1985 with the extra chapter and a Live after Death cover, then rereleased in 1986 with the SIT cover and the added chapter again and not much else.
So, you have 2 more to hunt for! :)

So you think the lineup of those gigs was:

1977.08.22 East London, UK ....................... Dennis, Steve, Terry(1st gig) and Ron (Last gig)
Half Moon Theatre

1977.11.05 Woolwich, UK ........................... Dennis, Steve, Terry and Barry (1st gig)
The Tramshed

1978.02.17 Canning Town, UK .....................Dennis ,Steve, Terry (last gig), Tony (unique gig) and Barry
The Bridgehouse ("Homecoming" gig)

1978.04.06 Plumpstead, UK ........................ Dennis ("had enough" so didn't play), Steve, Davey and Barry
Green Man

1978.04.07 Stratford, UK ............................. Dennis (¿?), Steve, Davey and Barry
Cart & Horses

1978.04.08 Canning Town, UK ................... Dennis (last gig), Steve, Davey and Barry ("mess up" and last gig)
The Bridgehouse

So you think the lineup of those gigs was:

1977.08.22 East London, UK ....................... Dennis, Steve, Terry(1st gig) and Ron (Last gig)
Half Moon Theatre

1977.11.05 Woolwich, UK ........................... Dennis, Steve, Terry and Barry (1st gig)
The Tramshed

1978.02.17 Canning Town, UK .....................Dennis ,Steve, Terry (last gig), Tony (unique gig) and Barry
The Bridgehouse ("Homecoming" gig)

1978.04.06 Plumpstead, UK ........................ Dennis ("had enough" so didn't play), Steve, Davey and Barry
Green Man

1978.04.07 Stratford, UK ............................. Dennis (¿?), Steve, Davey and Barry
Cart & Horses

1978.04.08 Canning Town, UK ................... Dennis (last gig), Steve, Davey and Barry ("mess up" and last gig)
The Bridgehouse

I am trying to see if I can get in contact with Terry Wapram to try and confirm some of these. We know that Terry played with Ron at some point so it suggests the Half Moon Theatre would have been around the time for the first gig of Terry's and possibly the last gig of Ron's.

I don't believe there was a gig at the Tramshed on the 5 November 1977. A gig was played at the Tramshed on 12 July 1977 and an incident occurred with Fireworks at this gig as Paul Sears who managed at the time remembered the following "i do recall a Disaster at the Tramshed in Woolwich the same year ..I was standing next to Dave who had his Pyro boards laid out on the on the side of the stage during one song i went to step off the stage and stood on the main detonator and all of Daves explosions went off at once the Bang was horrendous One girl fainted a floresent light above the bar shattered and Den Wilcox went as white as a sheet and the smell of Cordite was overwhelming" The line up for this Trammshed gig would have been Denn, Steve, Dave, Bob and Ron. I believe the confusion over the 5th November lies in the sentence in the Running Free bio. However I believe the story may have been misinterpreted by Gary Bushell and possibly went along the lines of "it was LIKE the 5th November" as opposed to "it was the 5th November"

I am trying to get Barry (Thunderstick) to try and confirm these other dates.

I mailed Tony Moore a few days ago trying to confirm his performance with Maiden. On Mick Wall's (page 50) "But then the one gig they played with Moore - at the Bridgehouse in November - ..."

I always heard 1977 from everywhere but I think you're right with february 17th.

I'm making a personal timeline (my "homeworks", lol)with the periods of the different lineups and is very very hard and amazing too.

I hope that Tony Moore helps us.

Tony Moore is pretty adamant he was out by December 1977 when I asked him about it a couple of years ago. I am trying to get other info before I put the case to him again.

I believe Tony is mistaken.

The Bridgehouse diaries I would assume are taken from records stating who played.
Maiden were all quiet until they announced their return in Jan 1978 - They wouldn't have gone to the trouble of announcing their return in the newspaper if they had just lost a member and weren't playing full strength.
A Wurlitzer piano was stolen in Feb 1978 - Only Tony would have had one of these, none of the others would have.
The Gear was returned just before the gig on 17 Feb - maybe reason Tony cant remember the stolen gear is because he played his piano that night.
Tony was still in the band after the gig and was deciding what to do when he answered an advert for Brian James Tanz Der Youth
The Damned (Brian James band before Tanz Der Youth) split up in Feb 1978 and advertised the cancelling of gigs with the news of a new project (Tanz Der Youth).

Not sure if this is of use, but a few years ago I did a feature with Thunderstick for www.sleazegrinder.net the article is no longer on that site but it has been 'reprinted' on Thunderstick's facebook pages here: https://www.facebook.com/thunderstickofficial/posts/285779274785732

Following this article, I also wrote the sleevenotes for the recent(ish) Thunderstick 'Echoes from the analogue asylum....' CD release (good album, by the way.....)

As for Maiden speeding up their music after their gear got stolen, yes, that seems to be the case according to people who heard them before and after. I guess heavy metal was getting faster and thrashier at that time anyway, and the band decided to update the 'Maiden sound' based on Dave Murray's ability to play faster than most!

- Alex Eruptor

Back