100 years of solitude -who is your fav character?

____no5

Free Man
This is my favourite novel. Everytime I meet someone that interests me,
I always ask the same question :
"who is your beloved character in the 100 years of solitude ?"

to help you remember I fixed a list with the main characters of the family (with italics are meant the wives /husbands of family members) I downloaded the family tree from wikipedia to make it more easier for you

family characters :
1. José Arcadio Buendía, Úrsula
2. José Arcadio +Pilar Ternera, Colonel Aureliano Buendía +Remedios Moscote , Amaranta, Rebeca
3. Arcadio + Santa Sofía de la Piedad, Aureliano José, 17 Aurelianos
4. Remedios the Beauty, José Arcadio Segundo, Aureliano Segundo + Fernanda del Carpio
5. Renata Remedios (Meme) +Mauricio Babilonia, José Arcadio (II), Amaranta Úrsula
6. Aureliano Babilonia (Aureliano II)
7. Aureliano (III)
related :
Melquíades, Pietro Crespi, Petra Cotes, Gastón

100annos-FamilytTree.PNG

so who is your beloved character ?
mine is Melquiades

Re: 100 years of solitude

This would be more appropriate to add to the alredy existing "Now Reading" Thread....

Onhell said:
This would be more appropriate to add to the alredy existing "Now Reading" Thread....

I don't think so, because 1) it's a thread about one and only book, and 2) with a relative question to go with...
3) it will upset the "now reading" topic, and 4) -most importantly- nobody will answer to my question

I thought about it though (to put it to now reading topic), and found more appropriate to create a new one for all the above reasons

who is your fav character, Onhell ?

I've never read it. Only Garcia Marquez of read is Relato de Un Naufrago, which I loved and Noticia de una Muerte Anunciada, which I hated.

Re: 100 years of solitude -who is your fav character ?

Onhell said:
I've never read it.

I think you should....if novel is a beloved kind of litterature for you, this book is a must

I didn't really enjoy this book all that much. However, it grew on me after several reads. My favorite character is undoubtedly Melquiades because of his connection to the parchments (those mysterious parchments) and to science. Also, he keeps on dying and then coming back to life which is amusing. After Melquiades I like Ursula and for some unexplainable reason Colonel Aureliano. Remedios is also a great character who provides some measure of comic relief.

I agree with no5 that anyone who hasn't read this book should read it because it belongs to those classics. However, don't expect to get too much out of it, especially on the first read.  ;)

Natalie said:
My favorite character is undoubtedly Melquiades because of his connection to the parchments (those mysterious parchments) and to science. Also, he keeps on dying and then coming back to life which is amusing. After Melquiades I like Ursula and for some unexplainable reason Colonel Aureliano. Remedios is also a great character who provides some measure of comic relief.

I'm very happy you are the 3rd person with me including that choses Melquiades !! great choise. After this incredible person, I like Ursula that reminds me my grandmother  :wub: :wub: :wub: and Jose Arcadio Segundo...I like him, I really do!

Natalie said:
I agree with no5 that anyone who hasn't read this book should read it because it belongs to those classics. However, don't expect to get too much out of it, especially on the first read.  ;)

it depends the edition Natalie....in some countries the geneological tree is added in the first pages, so you don't get confused with the repetitions of names (and characters !)
unfortunately in France both of the two existed editions don't have this tree, so I am obliged to prind the wikipedia tree every time I buy this book for someone

Actually, my edition had the genealogical tree on the first page and I was still confused.  :blush:

Oh, and my other reason for liking Melquiades so much is because I wrote an essay concerning languages and I had to refer to Melquiades quite often (although that could be a reason for disliking him :p).

Natalie said:
Actually, my edition had the genealogical tree on the first page and I was still confused.  :blush:
That reminds me of my copy of War and Peace which on the bookmark has the names of all the main characters and how they're all related. I still didn't follow it at all. ;)

Hey, i loved the book and i think this is an interesting thread. :)

My favourite character is definitely Rebeca, because i can somehow relate to her and find her intriguing in things she does and i dont relate to.
Other most interesting character to me was Remedios the Beauty, beacause of the way she saw the world around her, her indifference to a life led by people surrounding her and the way she saw physical beauty of the world (and herself), not really relevent to her at all.

But it was a tough race to me, to choose a favourite, i seemed to like all of them in a way. Marquez has a beautiful gift of putting human grotesque nature on paper.

Anyway, im refreshig a 4 year old thread and i hope you dont mind :) i registered for this sole purpose and i would like to hear other opinions if you would choose t oshare :)

Natalie said:
However, don't expect to get too much out of it, especially on the first read.  ;)

I read it once, long ago.  Don't remember a damn thing.  Except that I like Borges' magical realism a lot better than Marquez's. 

Personally, I think Borges is the better writer to begin with. Marquez is easier to digest which is why I think he is more popular.

Borges f'ing rules.  <<Hijacking thread.>>  What is your favorite work by Borges?  "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius" is perhaps his masterwork, but he also wrote a great essay on Judas.  Everyone should read the Labyrinths compilation.  It's short, and it'll make you about 5-10 IQ points smarter simply for having read it.  Genius.   

Man... last time I read anything by Borges it was highschool... don't remember much of what I've read, but I do remember him being WAY harder to wrap your mind around than Marquez. Marquez is entertaining, you're not exactly doing mental gymnastics. I've been meaning to pick up something by Borges, but it is rare when I go to Mexico and the Spanish sections at local bookstores (even B&N) SUCK.

My favorite characters are Melquiades and Col. Aureliano Buendia. The first has this cryptic, mysterious aura about him. And he's almost a God-like figure in the novel's universe: the ending of the book conjures a feeling of what I'd call "epic tragedy", so unlike any other novel. Aureliano, on the other hand, strikes me as the "determined loser", the man who knows the battles he fights are doomed to failure but fights them anyway.

Anybody got any ideas on why he ends up making little gold fishes? That has always puzzled me.

Yeah, Melquiades is like a God in a novel, liking him is like cheating to me. :)

Didnt read Borges yet, Ill put him on my to-do list for a next moth or so.. And btw although ive enjoyed 'magical realism' in Marquez's world, i didnt find it the main theme of the novel. I enjoyed more the way he put complexity in rather simple characters, i mean, he takes simple human characteristics in plain characters and somehow, on the way, makes something more out of them.. That shit turns me on in his novel, maybe im weird, i dunno.. :) Since this is "-who is your fav character?" topic, i guess im on the right place though :)

Concerning mind gymnastics, well my opinion is that there is lots of it to do in 100 years of solitude (though i havent read borges and all that..) but everybody has his own taste and i respect that

And hey, portermoresby, i like your portrait of col aureliano, sounds deep :) never thought of him that way.. I liked the way he liked Remedios the beauty. he said once that "there is something more to her then the eye meets" (or something) and due to her disinterest in people and what they do, i thought that he, after years of pointless wars, understood what she saw in the world.
Golden fishes i saw as his nature to repeat things in life, like his wars, i got feeling like he was afraid to to do something different with his life since his wife remedios died, since then he was stuck in routine.. My opinion! :)

Back