NOW PLAYING

^ I should listen to The Final Frontier more often. The album has some amazing ideas and melodies. I probably will rank it in the bottom half of all albums, but still it's a very good album. I guess it's because the overall material is so strong.

''Isle Of Avalon''/''Starblind''/''The Talisman'' is an amazing sequence of songs. ''Coming Home'' is one of the band's best slow songs. ''When The Wild Wind Blows'' is one of the band's most interesting epics (although I would have repeated the first verses later in the song). ''El Dorado'' has one of the band's best galloping (and heavy) riffs. Classic Maiden! The title track is simple (like in their early days), but it's catchy. A guitar harmony is really missing though. About ''Satellite 15'', it's too long but it sets the mood of the album just perfect and not many bands would dare to include such a piece in their albums. ''The Alchemist'' is a very melodic fast short rocker, classic Maiden again. Pretty good song too. The remaining two songs (''Mother Of Mercy'' and ''The Man Who Would Be King'') are the only songs which I don't like that much, but the latter has some great ideas and parts.

-> it's interesting that the first half of the album are the short and straightforward songs, while the second half are all the epics (which was not a good choice imo, ''The Man Who Would Be King'' should have been a short rocker).

Janick should have written a 3rd song for this album, imho.

Last edited:
As when I heard the TFF-album on the release day, Isle Of Avalon immediately struck me as very strong contender for live song, too bad that it wasn't at all picked for the setlist. I also like the little thing there during the instrumental part that always reminds of Rush..

Back