Which question would you like to ask the member of the band you would like to have a pint with?

I’ve been listening to the band for going on 33 years. Also notice I didn’t call them prog. I said prog elements, which is 100% true.
Oh God why do I even bother. BASED ON WHAT SOURCE AND DISTINCTION? For the lot of you? Just opinion? Of wut?

It doesn't matter how long you've been listening to them if you don't understand music theory or, in this case, anything about style classification. I've got a masters degree in it, mate. I've been pooing since I was born but that hardly makes me a proctologist, does it? Why can't any of you be bothered to open a bloody browser tab and learn something?

And they never had any prog elements until TNOTB. You can say and think whatever you like, but it doesn't change the fact that your all talking bollocks, and you know it.

And you're arguing with someone from Iron Maiden themselves. Go watch The Early Days DVD where they said themselves basically what I said. If you could be bothered to read everything I wrote before replying to it you'd see that. :p

Bloody hell, I handed you the evidence. :facepalm: I'm done in this topic, its pointless.

I would honestly like to ask them "why in the bloody hell did you suddenly go prog?"
It's really not sudden. Steve has always listed Genesis and "Aqualung"/"Thick as a Brick"-era Jethro Tull as among Maiden's primary influences. You can hear it in a lot of the pre-Seventh Son stuff ("Phantom of the Opera", "To Tame A Land", "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and "Alexander the Great" to name but a few). He just got to play with it more as they went on, that's all.

In the FC mag #112 (2019) Steve was asked to list "3 songs that when you hear them make you say "I really love this song"" and his answer was "Supper's Ready" by Genesis, "Thick as a Brick" by Jethro Tull and "Poet and the Pendulum" by Nightwish. I think this tells us all we need to know about where his musical heart lies ...

I know Steve prefers Gabriel-era Genesis, but he might also have been influenced by Collins-era songs like Los Endos (especially when the drums kick in at 0:45).

Sure, why not? Just because he prefers the earlier stuff, it doesn't follow that he would lose interest the minute Peter Gabriel stepped down.

We do know that he went to see them on the TOTT Tour and recorded him impression in two words: "Bloody brilliant!" (assuming that diary is genuine of course :D)

"Los Endos" is in the setlist from that night: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/genesis/1976/hammersmith-odeon-london-england-33de34ad.html.

Anyway, back to the original topic: I'd say "So who played the single harmonic at the end of Como Estais Amigos? You or Dave?" :D

I know Steve prefers Gabriel-era Genesis, but he might also have been influenced by Collins-era songs like Los Endos (especially when the drums kick in at 0:45).

I'm now imagining Steve singing at karaoke going "THIS ISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS THE LANNNN OF CONFUUUUUUUUUUUUUSIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON"

I would honestly like to ask them "why in the bloody hell did you suddenly go prog?" xD Like, what was the thinking (or not thinking) that was involved, and what inspired that drastic turn?

It probably had something to do with general musical ambition and bands like Jethro Tull being big inspirations for both Steve and Bruce. Besides, as others have already mentioned, there definitely were some of those prog-inspired elements in the early stuff as well, although not quite as dominant as they grew to be.

To put it short, I believe it was just natural progression and the fact that there's a lot of progressive rock bands that inspired the creative forces of Maiden (Steve obviously, but Bruce has often mentioned it as well) and therefore fair share of the "musical DNA" of Iron Maiden has some "prog" in it.

It probably had something to do with general musical ambition and bands like Jethro Tull being big inspirations for both Steve and Bruce. Besides, as others have already mentioned, there definitely were some of those prog-inspired elements in the early stuff as well, although not quite as dominant as they grew to be.

To put it short, I believe it was just natural progression and the fact that there's a lot of progressive rock bands that inspired the creative forces of Maiden (Steve obviously, but Bruce has often mentioned it as well) and therefore fair share of the "musical DNA" of Iron Maiden has some "prog" in it.
Also they had a lot more scope to play around with it when they shifted towards CDs rather than vinyl as their primary media format. You can fit a lot more onto a CD.

Also they had a lot more scope to play around with it when they shifted towards CDs rather than vinyl as their primary media format. You can fit a lot more onto a CD.
Ironically, Fear of the Dark was their first album to actually be CD “length.” Which I’ve always found interesting because I’m still not sure if they always write that much music, if they had a conscious need to fill a disc, or if their song writing idea were naturally expanding and they just needed more room.

But also….Seventh Son was the first Maiden album I ever heard, in ‘88, and the title track is a top five Maiden song for me to this day. Moonchild is such a badass opener!

Ironically, Fear of the Dark was their first album to actually be CD “length.” Which I’ve always found interesting because I’m still not sure if they always write that much music, if they had a conscious need to fill a disc, or if their song writing idea were naturally expanding and they just needed more room.
To quote Steve about the number of songs in TXF album: ''We actually ended up doing 14 songs and we used 11, which is very unusual for us''.

But also….Seventh Son was the first Maiden album I ever heard, in ‘88, and the title track is a top five Maiden song for me to this day. Moonchild is such a badass opener!

I read Steve say there should have been less songs but Bruce wanted to include songs that really shouldn't have been on the album, I think he said chains of Misery and "one of my ones"

Back