Most Overrated Maiden Song

Most overrated? Fear of the Dark tops my list followed by 2MtM.

Where Eagles Dare is quite good but I think it was brought out too much in documentaries and interviews to showcase the Nicko v. Clive personnel change.

Most overrated? Fear of the Dark tops my list followed by 2MtM.

Where Eagles Dare is quite good but I think it was brought out too much in documentaries and interviews to showcase the Nicko v. Clive personnel change.

Fear Of The Dark is the obvious winner and 2 Minutes is also a bit overrated... but Where Eagles Dare? The guys skipped this song during countless tours and lets be honest: is one hell of a tune.

Off the top of my head, I would say Where Eagles Dare.

Great intro, riff/rhythm, tempo and the drums through it are awesome, but Dave's solo is weak, too long instrumental section (should have been dual guitar solos or a long Dave's solo) that is not so interesting. With the recent performances of the song I started to like it more, but it is overrated IMO. Sorry guys, but I can't even called it a classic - classic intro and riff yeah, but the whole song.... :nonono:

Other overrated songs:

-
Remember Tomorrow
- To Tame A Land
- Sea Of Madness
- Blood On The World's Hands
- The Legacy

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, I would say Where Eagles Dare.

Other overrated songs:

-
Remember Tomorrow
- To Tame A Land
- Sea Of Madness
- Blood On The World's Hands
- The Legacy
IMO most of these are very underrated songs. I really don't understand how Sea of Madness is overrated by any means.

Alexander the Great isn't Great maybe good, like everything is good but it's not as strong as the other songs on SiT it doesn't have the punch.

Revelations is probably top 3 on PoM but it doesn't have the feeling of some other songs, other than Bruce who sings very beautifully here but it feels "too perfect".

I also love WTWWB but it's probably the least good song on the epic side of Final Frontier...

And the winner here is Where Eagles Dare, bad verses, good chorus and the most boring instrumental section in the discography and some people love it more than songs like Still Life and TTaL?! What do others hear that gives it so much love besides a cool drum intro and a high scream at the end???

Alexander the Great isn't Great maybe good, like everything is good but it's not as strong as the other songs on SiT it doesn't have the punch.

Revelations is probably top 3 on PoM but it doesn't have the feeling of some other songs, other than Bruce who sings very beautifully here but it feels "too perfect".

I also love WTWWB but it's probably the least good song on the epic side of Final Frontier...

And the winner here is Where Eagles Dare, bad verses, good chorus and the most boring instrumental section in the discography and some people love it more than songs like Still Life and TTaL?! What do others hear that gives it so much love besides a cool drum intro and a high scream at the end???
BLASPHEMY!!

IMO most of these are very underrated songs. I really don't understand how Sea of Madness is overrated by any means.

Everyone thinks that ''Sea Of Madness'' is a great song. The solo and the calm part after it are beautiful, but after that the song should have continued calm through the end of it. Not so good chorus and the repetition of ''of madness'' at the very end of the song is bland, but Adrian's little guitar fills under that chorus is great. It is one of the heaviest Maiden songs in the 80's though.

As for the other songs, I think ''Remember Tomorrow'' is not s good song. Good pre-chorus and the calm part of the song is the only great thing on it, but I also like the screams at the end (done by Bruce!). TTAL is the weakest of 80's epics - fantastic intro and twin-lead guitar harmonies, but 2 minutes at the end of the song is repeated the same melodic harmony. Not so good pre-chorus IMO, great bass line and Nicko (especially at the end of the song) is a real monster on the drums for this song, love these very powerful hits. BOTWH has a bloody good bass intro and fantastic pre-chorus, but nothing more than that. ''The Legacy'' really suffers from dragging over 3 minutes to actually start the song, but I must admit that the end of the song is one of the most beautiful parts in Maiden history. Again fantastic melodies and acoustic intro which I think all three amigos plays and suit the song perfectly.

Last edited:
''The Legacy'' really suffers from dragging over 3 minutes to actually start the song, but I must admit that the end of the song is one of the most beautiful parts in Maiden history. Again fantastic melodies and acoustic intro which I think all three amigos plays and suit the song perfectly.
Wow, IMO it's the opposite... The ending isn't so bad but it's the weakest part in the song by a landslide, but the intro is perfect!

That's how you start a big heavy song, gradually building it up and having it merge with the next part in the song... They used the same trick on Paschendale, where they alternate between quiet and explosive in the intro and it's just as effective, it builds it up to be big.

The Talisman for example doesn't do that, it has an acoustic intro that doesn't really have a connection (musically ofc) to the actual song and that's why it sounds to me like a long thrash song and not a "proper" epic.

BTTATS, WTWWB, Empire, Moonchild (cut the spoken part!!!), even CSIT and Powerslave and Aces High, so many great songs have those awesome intros, and The Legacy still has by far the best intro in Iron Maiden's discography!

Wow, IMO it's the opposite... The ending isn't so bad but it's the weakest part in the song by a landslide, but the intro is perfect!

That's how you start a big heavy song, gradually building it up and having it merge with the next part in the song... They used the same trick on Paschendale, where they alternate between quiet and explosive in the intro and it's just as effective, it builds it up to be big.

The Talisman for example doesn't do that, it has an acoustic intro that doesn't really have a connection (musically ofc) to the actual song and that's why it sounds to me like a long thrash song and not a "proper" epic.

BTTATS, WTWWB, Empire, Moonchild (cut the spoken part!!!), even CSIT and Powerslave and Aces High, so many great songs have those awesome intros, and The Legacy still has by far the best intro in Iron Maiden's discography!

That's why I avoided this thread for a while. For me it is hard to pick a Maiden song and to say that it is overrated - many have chosen the hits, but not me (they're hits for a reason!). I cannot choose Trooper, FOTD, TNOTB, RTTH, HBTN etc... nothing overrated in them - epochal and fantastic songs for the heavy metal. ''Public Enema Number One'' I think it's kinda overrated, so many people likes it. But I think ''Where Eagles Dare'' is the perfect example of overrated Maiden song.

As for ''The Legacy'', it's fair enough. I really like the end of the song - it's amazing. Fantastic intro that suit the atmosphere perfect, but dragging it 3 minutes was a bad choice IMO (like on some songs in TXF).

I also do not share your opinion on ATG, Revelations, The Talisman and WTWWB.

Last edited:
Maidens most overrated song is in my opinion Run to the Hills, why? Because people who arent even real fans of Iron Maiden know this song. Just about any metal fan knows of this song!

Hey im not saying its a bad song because it happens to be a vital piece to my personal favorite album, but it just kinda pisses me off how so many people know this song so they say they like Iron Maiden, when they really dont know any other song BUT Run to the Hills.

Replace RTTH with Fear Of The Dark and you're correct. People who arent into the band (and some into metal) when they are asked about an Iron Maiden song normaly answer Fear Of The Dark.

Back