Janick's role in post-reunion Maiden

So Janicks performance on Fear of the Dark got him a job for life? You think? Utter nonsense. He had been a touring and recording member for nearly 10 years. Thats a long time. One song (that he didnt write) didnt make a blind bit of difference.
He stayed because he is/was a respected and appreciated member of the band. Not by fans but by the band themselves.

I suspect that deep inside, Steve always felt guilty for what he did to the only Scottish member of his band. So he kinda compensated with the next best thing he got, a Geordie guitarist.

So Janicks performance on Fear of the Dark got him a job for life? You think? Utter nonsense.

First of, what got him a job for life was the band offering it to him in 1990. Thats what I think mate :) As it would happen, he would remain in that situation for at least 27 years!

Key word is 'theory'. I'll let you in on a definition of that word. A theory is 'a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.' If I had stated something stupid it would be in your right to call it utter nonsense, but I didn't state anything! It was just a conversation topic. Not a fact. If anyone is talking nonsense here it is you ;)

He stayed because he is/was a respected and appreciated member of the band. Not by fans but by the band themselves.

The theory was that he is/was a respected and appreciated member of the band because his most known contribution (as a musician) is Fear of the Dark. What else, at that point, could justify having him stay in the band, if Blaze gets the boot? What's the exact difference? (Obviously it's easier having a third guitarist than a second singer, but that's not the point. Why not do the classic line-up as it was?) What would have happened if Fear of the Dark was on The X Factor? I'm asking, not trying to put anyone down!

Last edited:
Exactly. One of the things which makes Maiden so great is the way they all interact - the total is greater than the sum of the parts. Removing Janick would also affect how the other five interacted with each other. It might revert to how it was in the '80s (with the same issues and tensions). Adrian might leave again. Bruce might leave again.

Had it occured to anyone else that part of the reason they all seem to get on so much better now than they did in the '80s might have to do with Janick's reported talent for ending arguments? Just a thought ...

What else, at that point, could justify having him stay in the band, if Blaze gets the boot?
Keep in mind that the decision to fire Blaze, at least from Steve's point of view, arose from his vocal issues on stage. But there was never any reason to fire Janick - no member in Maiden has been fired if there hasn't been any issues with their performance or any deep personal conflicts with the rest of the band.

And can't you understand as well, that the reunion in 1999, was about creating something new. "It's about making Iron Maiden the biggest metal band in the world" as Bruce put it at the time. Don't you think the band realized, that having a wide range of song writers could help push this vision? Maybe you don't like Son of a Gun, Tattooed Millionarie, Wasting Love, Lord of the Flies, Man on the Edge, The Edge of Darkness or Como Estais Amigos, but I'm quite sure they saw his potential with these type of songs.

Last edited:
He had been a touring and recording member for nearly 10 years. Thats a long time. One song (that he didnt write) didnt make a blind bit of difference.

You say the length of his tenture is the reason but in 1999 he only had 3 years more than Blaze. He would not be the first member to be let go from a band to allow the original line-up to reunite. Bruce Kulick and Tony Martin had longer tentures than him but was both let go from their bands. Quite funny that you disregard my theory (without even discussing it) calling it nonsense and then procede to give a less logical one. So just because Kulick was in Kiss for 12 years he would be safe? Obviously not. Or did I miss a fifth Kiss member in dog make up?

Whats most stupid is that you argue it, like I thought it a scientific truth. I wanted to discuss the possibility of it being true but instead you argue it. Youq idiot should read it again

Last edited:
Don't you think the band realized, that having a wide range of song writers could help push this vision? Maybe you don't like Son of a Gun, Tattooed Millionarie, Wasting Love, Lord of the Flies, Man on the Edge, The Edge of Darkness or Como Estais Amigos, but I'm quite sure they saw his potential with these type of songs.

To be fair, despite how much I like them, these songs are not very successful compared to the first 7 albums. In fact few of them have over a 1 000 000 plays on Spotify. With 60 000 000 users Spotify is great with providing solid statistics.

So your saying Blaze was not respected and approciated by the band? Then why was he asked to join?

I'm sorry but I'm gonna put you on my ignore list until you learn how to hold a grown conversation.

200.gif

So your saying Blaze was not respected and approciated by the band? Then why was he asked to join?

I'm sorry but I'm gonna put you on my ignore list until you learn how to hold a grown conversation.
I don't quite follow the logic here. You jump to conclusions based on reading too much into an offhand comment, and the other guy is the one who deserves to be put on the naughty list for not being a grown-up? Okay then.

FWIW I think Blaze was asked to join because Steve was obsessed with finding the polar opposite of Bruce without care for the possible issues and consequences that would arise. Janick, meanwhile, was hired because he was a damn good guitarist and kept because by the time 1999 rolled around, he was so well integrated into the whole band unit that losing him would've been an unacceptable compromise to make.

The Kiss comparison makes no sense. Two very different situations.

To be fair, despite how much I like them, these songs are not very successful compared to the first 7 albums. In fact few of them have over a 1 000 000 plays on Spotify. With 60 000 000 users Spotify is great with providing solid statistics.
Nothing Adrian did with Bruce at the time has over 1 million plays either. Would that be a good measurement of whether Adrian and Bruce should have been allowed to rejoin Maiden? No!

And Blaze was going to be fired regardless of Bruce's decision to rejoin. If the meeting with Bruce in january 1999 wouldn't have worked out, they would have found someone else. The decision was never about firing Janick along with Blaze, in order to create a return to the 80's. It was about finding a singer that could perform consistently on the band's demanding material. Why do you think they didn't contact Adrian at the same time as Bruce for a meeting, if the plan was just to create some 80's nostalgia thing?

Last edited:
Back