Bruce Dickinson

And that's why I think this time for the next album coming next year, the songwriting will be a one-shot session in the studio. Roy Z is currently composing new songs...
I kind of doubt that the writing session/s will be concentrated. Bruce will be busy with tours, he might do an album with Maiden, and he (unlike with them) is really involved with the songwriting for his solo stuff. All lyrics, arrangements, riffs. I think they will use songs from previous sessions again - I mean he has quite a few leftovers from TMP sessions, more from TOS sessions, maybe from the 90's as well. And Roy already has 10-12 ideas. Bruce also said that they both work very quickly. They can write now a bit (since the start of the year), or (like Maiden) in early 2025 or 2026.

The question is how much experimentation the next album will or could have.

Last edited:
I kind of doubt that the writing session/s will be concentrated. Bruce will be busy with tours, he might do an album with Maiden, and he (unlike with them) is really involved with the songwriting for his solo stuff. All lyrics, arrangements, riffs. I think they will use songs from previous sessions again - I mean he has quite a few leftovers from TMP sessions, more from TOS sessions, maybe from the 90's as well. And they already have 10-12 ideas. Bruce also said that he and Roy work very quickly. They can write (like Maiden) in early 2025 or 2026.

The question is how much experimentation the next album will or could have.
I think the next one will be very heavy and agressive as 'The Mandrake Project' is more hard rock and art rock than heavy metal. And Bruce knows what fans really want, at least those ones who aren't big lover of his new record. Added to the fact that 'The Mandrake Project' will surely have a continuation seeing the comics that will be released throughout the next three years. "Sonata (Immortal Beloved)" was not a conclusion. Like "Hell On Earth" on 'Senjutsu' that had an ending that ended progressively and indicated (maybe) a following (I expect the next Maiden album beginning by a song with the same notes as on the ending of "Hell On Earth" to pick up where 'Senjutsu' left off). And the last "Sonata (Immortal Beloved)" lyrics are explicit : the last verse is "I'll take you back, Let me take you back, I will take you back", which suggests a return of the hero of the song and a sequel to this particular track or to the whole 'The Mandrake Project' album. Death is not the end, there's something beyond. And, in the comics, Necropolis is going to die to bring back his brother's soul to life and will have to fight against Professor Lazarus. That's why I think the next album will have a very heavy face (to represent the fight) and will be a sequel of 'The Mandrake Project'.

Last edited:
And that's why I think this time for the next album coming next year, the songwriting will be a one-shot session in the studio. Roy Z is currently composing new songs and Bruce will put his vocals on january 2025. For a late 2025 or early 2026 release. In the meantime, in february and march 2025, Maiden will be in the studio to record its new album and will release it in september 2025.
And that's why I think this time for the next album coming next year, the songwriting will be a one-shot session in the studio. Roy Z is currently composing new songs and Bruce will put his vocals on january 2025. For a late 2025 or early 2026 release. In the meantime, in february and march 2025, Maiden will be in the studio to record its new album and will release it in september 2025.
Where did you read?

I think the next one will be very heavy and agressive as 'The Mandrake Project' is more hard rock and art rock than heavy metal. And Bruce knows what fans really want, at least those ones who aren't big lover of his new record. Added to the fact that 'The Mandrake Project' will surely have a continuation seeing the comics that will be released throughout the next three years. That's why I think the next album will have a very heavy face (to represent the fight) and will be a sequel of 'The Mandrake Project'.
Roy had teased something even heavier than TCW for the new album(?), so they should try/continue with that. TMP has some really heavy riffs though (Ragnarok, Rain, Resurrection Men, Mistress). I would like them to explore more the Afterglow Of Ragnarok sound for the next album, the lead single can definitely be confusing as to what to expect from the music one the album.

I really doubt that Bruce will release a sequel to this album (or story), or that the comics will affect that. Once all the comics are out, he can release the next solo album. More comics? Who knows.

Where did you read?
Bruce has said in numerous interviews that Roy Z was working on the remix and the remaster of 'Balls To Picasso' and 'Skunkworks'. He also said that Roy Z began to work on the new songs for the next album. And that it will definitely be something out in the next two years. That he didn't want to wait 20 more years to release something. And that he was back in Los Angeles in mid and late february to work a little bit with Roy Z.

''I’m delighted that so many people love the record. It’s been incredible to hear directly from so many fans in the countries I’ve visited over the last week or so, and the chart positions are just icing on the cake to be honest. I can now focus on bringing The Mandrake Project & songs from my previous albums to life on the tour next month. See you on the road.''

Bruce noted the praise for the album. In another interview, he said that it's unbelievable.

Bruce has said in numerous interviews that Roy Z was working on the remix and the remaster of 'Balls To Picasso' and 'Skunkworks'. He also said that Roy Z began to work on the new songs for the next album. And that it will definitely be something out in the next two years. That he didn't want to wait 20 more years to release something. And that he was back in Los Angeles in mid and late february to work a little bit with Roy Z.
Read all of this except for the album being out in the next 2 years. So I think he won’t wait full 2 years. He’ll release his album end of 2025 then. Maiden will release in end of 2026.

''I’m delighted that so many people love the record. It’s been incredible to hear directly from so many fans in the countries I’ve visited over the last week or so, and the chart positions are just icing on the cake to be honest. I can now focus on bringing The Mandrake Project & songs from my previous albums to life on the tour next month. See you on the road.''

Bruce noted the praise for the album. In another interview, he said that it's unbelievable.
Well I’d say this is a product of built up anticipation of TMP. You wait almost 20 years to release an album and people are gonna go nuts buying it. But happy for Bruce. His most commercially successful studio effort till date.

And that it will definitely be something out in the next two years.
I can't remember reading this? He will tour with Mandrake for at least 2 years. Maybe 3. He can swap songs whenever he wants. I think the next album won't be released sooner than 2026, ofc depending on a possible new Maiden album.
Well I’d say this is a product of built up anticipation of TMP. You wait almost 20 years to release an album and people are gonna go nuts buying it. But happy for Bruce. His most commercially successful studio effort till date.
Sure, but at the same time, many fans like it a lot. I'm happy for him too.

I am in the 10-15 range for full album listens

As a precursor, I really like Bruce’s solo albums, even the lesser loved by many Tattooed Millionaire and Skunkworks, however, I would place Mandrake at the bottom

I don’t know how something that took such a long time to finish sounds so unfinished

I would probably put it at 5/10 at the moment.

I get that Bruce is being theatrical in Sonata but some of the vocals are so out of tune I cannot believe he released them. It is a shame as I like actually quite like the sparse instrumental

Releasing Eternity was a strange choice in the end, especially as most of the outro (which I assume was integral to the story) was mostly cut. It sounds like a demo of Maiden’s vastly superior version

Good
Afterglow
Many Doors to Hell
Rain on the Graves
Fingers in the Wounds
Shadow of the Gods

Mid
Mistress of Mercy
Sonata

Bad
Eternity has Failed
Face in the Mirror
Resurrection Men

I am in the 10-15 range for full album listens

As a precursor, I really like Bruce’s solo albums, even the lesser loved by many Tattooed Millionaire and Skunkworks, however, I would place Mandrake at the bottom

I don’t know how something that took such a long time to finish sounds so unfinished

I would probably put it at 5/10 at the moment.

I get that Bruce is being theatrical in Sonata but some of the vocals are so out of tune I cannot believe he released them. It is a shame as I like actually quite like the sparse instrumental

Releasing Eternity was a strange choice in the end, especially as most of the outro (which I assume was integral to the story) was mostly cut. It sounds like a demo of Maiden’s vastly superior version

Good
Afterglow
Many Doors to Hell
Rain on the Graves
Fingers in the Wounds
Shadow of the Gods

Mid
Mistress of Mercy
Sonata

Bad
Eternity has Failed
Face in the Mirror
Resurrection Men

It’s definitely at the bottom for me too. :(

Good
Afterglow
Many Doors to Hell
Rain on the Graves
Fingers in the Wounds
Shadow of the Gods

Mid
Mistress of Mercy
Sonata

Bad
Eternity has Failed
Face in the Mirror
Resurrection Men
It's funny how people have such different tastes.

For me Eternity has Failed and Resurrection Men are really stellar, top shelf songs.
whereas Afterglow and Rain on the Graves are the worst on the album (not bad, just not as good as the other songs on that album)

View attachment 34915

According to Leana (Bruce’s wife), most vocals are from 2012, with the exception of Sonata (20 years ago) and Afterglow, Many Doors and Rain (2022).
Ah, I thought 2014 because of Eternity, but that tracks. Nice to have confirmation.

Though even some of the 2012 recordings have overdubs from 2022, like the chorus in Eternity Has Failed which noticeably features 2022 Bruce (and of course new lyrics).

Back